Fwd: IDENTITY : 54

J.M. Garg

Apr 26, 2021, 12:38:49 AM4/26/21
to efloraofindia, Bimal Sar kar
Thanks, Bimal ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Bimal Sar kar <bima...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr, 2021, 8:42 am
Subject: IDENTITY : 54

Attaching a few images of a wild plant. Seems to be some Leea species.
Please identify.
Identity 54 a.jpg
Identity 54 c.jpg
Identity 54 b.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Apr 26, 2021, 6:10:42 AM4/26/21
to efloraindia, Bimal Sar kar
Yes!
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

surajit koley

May 1, 2021, 9:25:10 AM5/1/21
to efloraofindia, Bimal Sar kar

J.M. Garg

May 7, 2021, 12:10:13 PM5/7/21
to efloraofindia, Bimal Sar kar, surajitkoley
Thanks, Surajit ji.
May I request you to have a look at Leea guineense G.Don
Your sharp yes may find some Leea alata Edgew over here,

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CAMV_mc3TKmoo6riX_77Ox1xL%3DJRBC7qUY4ZGJTHw%3DC%2BYccu%3DAA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 7, 2021, 12:22:11 PM5/7/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Bimal Sar kar
I only used the KEY in the "Bengal Plants", Sir, since this species is wild.
I will check our database for other uploads of red Leea.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

Bengal_Plants_vol-I_p339.jpg

surajit koley

May 8, 2021, 11:26:01 AM5/8/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Bimal Sar kar
Sorry, Bimal Da, Garg Sir, it appears to me that I made another mistake in identifying it as Leea alata. Here, the leaves are not 1-pinnate, as I thought earlier. Please check the KEY to red flowered Leea, below :-
  1. Leaves 1-pinnate = L. alata Edgew.
  2. Leaves 1-2-3 pinnate (bipinnate, occasionally tripinnate at base - Flora of Zambia)  = L. guineensis G. Don
  3. Leaves 2-4 pinnate = L. rubra Bl. Ex Spreng
  4. Leaves 2-3 pinnate, leaves setaceously hairy above, below with setaceous hairs on the nerves = L. setuligera Clarke
Now, I myself am confused. Don't  have a clear idea how to differentiate the above spp.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

May 14, 2021, 2:08:03 AM5/14/21
to Bimal Sar kar, efloraofindia, surajitkoley
Hi, Bimal ji,
May I request you to pl. post more detailed images, showing stipules etc. for proper id.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 14, 2021, 3:03:07 AM5/14/21
to J.M. Garg, Bimal Sar kar, efloraofindia
I am confused here, Dada, please check and decide -
  • If leaves are 1-pinnate - it is Leea alata.
  • if leaves are more than 1-pinnate; and inside of the petal is red - it is Leea rubra
  • If leaves are more than 1-pinnate and inside of the petals are creamy-white - it is L. guineensis.
(Leea setuligera is not likely to be found there, it is like L. guineensis, but with hair on leaves.)

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

surajit koley

May 14, 2021, 3:08:55 AM5/14/21
to J.M. Garg, Bimal Sar kar, efloraofindia
Dada,

I would like to add one more point - that leaf rachis of Leea alata would be narrowly winged, which I do not see here.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

May 17, 2021, 11:11:52 AM5/17/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Bimal Sar kar
A blog from Bangladesh feature similar looking Leea - http://www.floraofbangladesh.com/2019/10/bon-chalita-or-kukurjihba-leea-alata.html#:~:text=Bon%2Dchalita%20or%20Kukurjihba%20(Leea,and%20hilly%20areas%20of%20Bangladesh.

The fifth picture from the top of that blog displays young leaflets, and rachis having narrow wing (which is a feature of Leea alata.) - see top of the leaf - https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-loqG1bGxlns/Xbp3BFCNYBI/AAAAAAAATxw/DYpEx5782JILd0rd12uQC0DP_EWnF4n-wCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/Bon-chalita_Leea_alata_07.JPG

Now, look at the base of the leaf of the above picture, at first I thought it would grow to bi-pinnate leaf, and in that case the ID won't be Leea alata. But, what if it is the emergence of another 1--pinnate leaf?

In the same way Bimal Da's species might e Leea alata as well.

Regards,
surajit

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

surajit koley

May 17, 2021, 11:25:28 AM5/17/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Bimal Sar kar
No, I cancel the idea.
Emergence of new leaf should carry a stipule.
So, I think the species in that blog is Leea rubra.
Bimal Da's plant should also be L. rubra.