Euphorbia kanaorica for confirmation

Ashutosh Sharma

Apr 11, 2019, 9:34:03 AM4/11/19
to indiantreepix
Respected members,

Euphorbia kanaorica
Family - Euphorbiaceae

Habitat - Found growing along roadside under  rocks.
Plants small upto 12 cms long.
Altitude - 1700 metres asl

Photographed at Kullu district, Himachal Pradesh
Dated - 20 March 2019

I hope group experts will validate the id...

Best regards
Ashutosh Sharma
Euphorbia kanaorica.jpg
Euphorbia kanaorica closeup.jpg
Euphorbia kanaorica branched stem.jpg
Euphorbia kanaorica plant.jpg
Euphorbia kanaorica habit.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Apr 11, 2019, 9:53:12 AM4/11/19
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice upload !

Thank you Ashutosh ji !

Saroj Kasaju

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Apr 22, 2019, 1:47:01 AM4/22/19
to efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma

Forwarding again for validation please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

Euphorbia kanaorica.jpg
Euphorbia kanaorica closeup.jpg
Euphorbia kanaorica branched stem.jpg
Euphorbia kanaorica plant.jpg
Euphorbia kanaorica habit.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 1, 2019, 4:18:11 AM5/1/19
to efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma
I could not find any images on net.
What ever I could see from the following, I am not getting sure:
Flora of Pakistan (On stony slopes, gravel slides and screes; 9500'/2900 m. - 14,100'/4300 m)- What is the altitude mentioned in your books ?
May 1, 2019, 6:10:54 AM5/1/19
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma

Ushadi Micromini

May 2, 2019, 1:17:16 AM5/2/19
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, Ashutosh Sharma
univ michigan
has occurrences in India
one such is in Jammu And Kashmir
elevation given
you have to  find it from the locality
LocalityDras toMitsahoi, Ladak road
State provinceJammu and Kashmir
see how high asl
is it?

another one on the map is along
the River  Narmada
at GPS:
Decimal latitude22.88361
Decimal longitude79.61611
that cant be very high  above sea level
one needs to locate it on terrestrial or whatever that map that shows contours and elevation
Usha di
===========

Ushadi Micromini

May 2, 2019, 1:17:58 AM5/2/19
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, Ashutosh Sharma
Structurally seems to have all the attributes in the description in FOP site
Usha di
===========

Ashutosh Sharma

May 3, 2019, 1:06:40 AM5/3/19
to Ushadi Micromini, indiantreepix, J.M. Garg
The correct attitude is as mentioned in FOP from 2000metres to 4300metres and there the flowering time mentioned is from June to August but i think as the altitude is about 1000metres lower of our Euphorbia so the flowering will also occur early.

Habitat mentioned in FOP also matches with our plant as i have found them along gravel slides and screes along link road.
Moreover the flowering plants are also small with thin wiry main stem.

As mentioned by Ushadi there is one observation on gbif showing it from Central India its actually not from that place shown in map because whenever there's no any proper place mentioned in any Herbarium record but there's country mentioned then it shows the coordinates in centre of that country which you see in this case.

Best regards
Ashutosh Sharma

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2019, 2:42:13 AM5/3/19
to Ashutosh Sharma, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thanks, Ashutosh ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

D.S Rawat

May 3, 2019, 4:24:35 AM5/3/19
to efloraofindia

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2019, 5:20:53 AM5/3/19
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Ashutosh Sharma
Thanks, Rawat ji,
Do you think it is close to the posted images by Ashutosh ji?

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Ushadi Micromini

May 3, 2019, 6:24:14 AM5/3/19
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Ashutosh Sharma
thanks, Ashutosh
nice to know
but that makes for confusion

in my thinking
they should just say.... site unknown or not mentioned

may be herbaria bigwigs should take a page out of
cancer plotting
gas and oil plotting
metal ore search and plotting
these are all very old established methodologies

now medical sciences is plotting the new measles cases
and superbugs in hospitals and communities all over the world

if all kinds of varied scientists can do it
why not herbaria organizers?

i wonder what can nudge them?

Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2019, 8:53:43 AM5/3/19
to D.S Rawat, efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma, Ushadi micromini
Thanks, Rawat ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Fri 3 May, 2019, 4:02 PM D.S Rawat, <drdsrawat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes it looks closer.
BUT, Dr Tapas Chakrabarty and Dr N.P. Balakrishnan Sir are the expert of Euphorbiaceae. Their opinion is far more important. This case is more interesting because this species in not included in Flora of India volume 23.
Dr D.S. Rawat
Department of Biological Sciences, G.B. Pant University of Agriculture & Technology Pantnagar-263 145 Uttarakhand, INDIA
eflorapantnagar displaying wild flora of Pantnagar

Tapas Chakrabarty

May 3, 2019, 10:36:49 AM5/3/19
to J.M. Garg, D.S Rawat, efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma, Ushadi micromini
Me out of station. No access to literature.

J.M. Garg

May 14, 2019, 12:10:55 AM5/14/19
to D.S Rawat, efloraofindia, Ashutosh Sharma, Ushadi micromini
I found one link conclusions - Shodhganga . It states as below (However without reference to the author, date etc.):

4. Euphorbia kanaorica Boiss.

Boissier (1862) cites the specimens from Himachal

Pradesh, Kinnaur, July 1830, Jacquemont 1491 (P) and Kinnaur,

21.8.1847, Thomson 2010 (K) as types. After a critical study

on the above syntypes, Kinnaur, 21.8.1847, Thomson 2010 is

selected as lectotype.

D.S Rawat

May 14, 2019, 7:17:50 AM5/14/19
to efloraofindia
The 'Conclusion' link given by Garg Ji seems to be a part of the thesis of Dr Binoj Kumar. He, with Dr N.P. Balakrishnan has written a revision of Euphorbia genus in India. Further details about this species may be found in their book:
I do not have it but it must be there in BSI libraries or university libraries.

DSRawat Pantnagar

J.M. Garg

May 14, 2019, 8:33:15 AM5/14/19
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Ashutosh Sharma
Thanks a lot, Rawat ji.