MS Nov., 2020/02 Mangifera sp. (khasiana ?) for Id.

M Sawmliana

Nov 9, 2020, 11:47:06 PM11/9/20
to efloraofindia
Location : Thenhlum, Mizoram
Altitude : 400 - 900 m.
Date : 05-07-2012
Habit : Large evergreen tree with long straight trunk; fruits small.
Habitat : Wild
Mizo : Hai-va-hmim
Note : Fruits edible. It is the smallest fruit among the Mangifera, I think

With regards,
M.Sawmliana
Mangifera sp. (Haivahmim) (1).jpg
Mangifera sp. (Haivahmim) (2).jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 10, 2020, 1:09:23 AM11/10/20
to efloraindia
Mangifera linearifolia (Mukh.) Kosterm. ???

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 11.44.02.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 11.43.53.png

M Sawmliana

Nov 11, 2020, 4:24:47 AM11/11/20
to efloraofindia
Same Mangifera sp is attached herewith to help id.

Mangifera sp. (Hai-va-hmim).jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 11, 2020, 5:07:18 AM11/11/20
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Saroj ji and Sawmliana ji.
Both species appear quite close as per GBIF specimens:
https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/gallery?taxon_key=3662568 (Mangifera linearifolia- all specimens from Thailand)
https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/gallery?taxon_key=3662645 (Mangifera khasiana Pierre - all specimens from India, but no fruiting specimen)

Hi, Sawmliana ji,
What are the species reported from your area ?
Going by leaf venation as per specimen, I think close to Mangifera khasiana Pierre (Distribution: India (Meghalaya), Sikkim as per Catalogue of Life).

As per SPECIES OF MANGIFERA - Bioversity International, Mangifera linearifolia is not mentioned anywhere (probably a syn. as per them).
In India, M.indica, M. khasiana, M.andamanica and M. sylvatica only are mentioned.
So it is most likely to be M. khasiana.

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 14:54, M Sawmliana <msawm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Same Mangifera sp is attached herewith to help id.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 11, 2020, 8:56:08 AM11/11/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

Thank you Mr. Garg !

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Nov 13, 2020, 1:52:05 AM11/13/20
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, Saroj Kasaju
Only Mangifera indica and M.sylvatica are recorded in my State- from Sawmliana ji as per reply in another thread.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Nov 13, 2020, 2:04:03 AM11/13/20
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Are these images from the same tree in MS Nov., 2020/01 Mangifera for ID ?
Here the beak of the fruit looks different.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Nov 13, 2020, 2:08:13 AM11/13/20
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, Saroj Kasaju
But I am not able to find the description of M. khasiana.
Sampath ji has stated in another thread (Mangifera sylvatica?) that 'The fruits of the M sylvatica as per Flora of India, 4.5-6 cm long and 2.5-3 cm wide. The fruits are acuminate with protruded tips in M. khasiana and M. sylvatica'.
If this is true, it may be M.indica only.

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 15:36, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Nov 13, 2020, 4:14:35 AM11/13/20
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, Saroj Kasaju
Going by the Mangifera keys, it may be Mangifera indica only.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
Mangifera sp. (Haivahmim) (1).jpg
Mangifera sp. (Haivahmim) (2).jpg