Is This Conyza sumatrensis

taffa...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 1:49:11 AM12/4/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear members,
Am posting photos of what i believe is the rosette stage of  Conyza sumatrensis. The stem is covered with white hairs(see photo). Kindly confirm if ID is correct.
conyzia2.jpg
conyzia1.jpg

taffa...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 1:52:45 AM12/4/22
to eFloraofIndia
Three more photos. I clicked the post button by mistake before these three photos were added.
Regards
Taffazull

stem.jpg
conyzia3.jpg
Hairs.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 1:59:37 AM12/4/22
to eFloraofIndia
The photos were taken in a field in Srinagar in Nov-Dec 2022

Saroj Kasaju

Dec 4, 2022, 3:01:03 AM12/4/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, taff...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg
Please check Erigeron canadensis L. !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

taffa...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2022, 6:45:11 AM12/4/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Saroj ji,
Thanks for drawing attention to C.canadensis
C.canadensis (Syn Erigeron canadensis) is a very common weed in Kashmir and has the vernacular name "Shal Lot". It was common as far back as I can remember (late 1950s) and indeed I thought of it as a native but now there are many publications asserting that it is an invasive species. I am posting a few photos of C.canadensis which will clarify the differences between this species  and the one I suspect as C.sumatrensis (Syn E.sumatrensis). It may be noted that not only are leaves smaller but hairs are not so dense and so white. I may also point out that C.canadensis is called "horseweed" but C.sumatrensis is called "white horseweed) as per Wikipedia.
With regards
Taffazull

C.canadensisplant2.JPG
C.canadensis hairs.JPG
C.canadensisplant1.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Dec 4, 2022, 7:52:39 AM12/4/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, taff...@yahoo.com, J.M. Garg
OK Mr. Taffazull !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 5, 2022, 3:46:50 PM12/5/22
to eFloraofIndia
Taffazul ji, C. sumatrensis is late flowering species taller than both similar species C. bonariensis and C. canadensis. I first noticed this in my house in Balgarden, Srinagar in 2011. I have given comparison and pictures in this post.

taffa...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2022, 10:29:20 PM12/5/22
to eFloraofIndia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
Thanks for the pictures,keys and clarifications.
I am still confused about the ID of the plant whose rosette stage pictures  I had posted.
Could you guide me regarding its ID as it perhaps clearly is not C.canadensis or is it  necessary to wait till it
grows up and reaches the flowering stage.
With sincere regards.
Taffazull

J.M. Garg

Dec 7, 2022, 7:03:30 AM12/7/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, TAFA, saadiks...@gmail.com
Feedback from Shakir ji as per another post:
Yes it is conyza canadensis.. Very common in Kashmir.
Locally called as shaal loet

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg