¿ Piper nigrum ?

Dinesh Valke

Dec 11, 2009, 10:46:33 AM12/11/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Dear friends,

Would this plant be Piper nigrum ? Confirm OR ID please.

Place: near Panorama Point, Matheran.
Date: 08 DEC 09

Regards.
P1110067.jpg
P1110064.jpg
P1110066.jpg

Yazdy Palia

Dec 11, 2009, 11:46:56 AM12/11/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
Dear Mr. Valke,
It is indeed Piper Nigrum.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Dinesh Valke

Dec 12, 2009, 1:42:44 PM12/12/09
to C KUNHIKANNAN, Indian Tree Pix
Kunhikannan ji, any hint please what else ? It will help to re-consider.
Regards.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 12:08 AM, C KUNHIKANNAN <kunhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
it looks me different

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Regards.

Dr. C.Kunhikannan,
Division of Biodiversity,
Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding,
Forest Campus,  R.S.Puram,
Coimbatore-641002, Tamilnadu.

Dinesh Valke

Dec 23, 2009, 7:04:24 AM12/23/09
to Indian Tree Pix, Tabish Qureshi, Flowers of India
Piper nigrum is commonly known as: black pepper • Assamese: জালুক jalook • Bengali: কালা মরিচ kala marich • Gujarati: કાળા મરી kala mari • Hindi: काली मिर्च kali mirch, ऊषण ushan • Kannada: ಕರಿ ಮೆಣಸು kari menasu • Kashmiri: मरिचम् maricham • Konkani: मीरे miire, पोख्ळें मीरीं pokhlem mirim • Malayalam: കുരുകുളക് kurukulak, നല്ലമുളക് nallamulak • Marathi: मरीच marich, काळी मिरची kali mirachi, मिरवेल miravel • Mizo: thinghmarcha • Nepalese: मरिच marich • Oriya: dolo maricho • Pali: पिप्फळी piphali • Punjabi: ਕਾਲੀ ਮਿਰਿਚ kali mirich • Sanskrit: कृष्ण krsna, मरिचं maricham, उल्लाघः ullaghah, उषणम् usanam • Tamil: மரிசம் maricam, மிளகு milaku • Telugu: మరిచము marichamu, మిరెము miriyamu • Urdu: سياه مرچ siyah mirch, اوشن ushan

Regards.

JM Garg

May 25, 2020, 11:57:39 PM5/25/20
to efloraofindia
P1110067.jpg
P1110064.jpg
P1110066.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

May 26, 2020, 2:35:00 AM5/26/20
to efloraindia
I guess Piper galeatum (Miq.) C. DC.
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2020, 3:07:35 AM5/26/20
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, DineshValke
Thanks, Saroj ji,
I will have a look within a day or so, as I working on Piper in efi site.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).

Saroj Kasaju

May 26, 2020, 3:22:15 AM5/26/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, DineshValke
Ok Mr. Garg !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2020, 7:29:24 AM5/26/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, Saroj Kasaju
It may be Piper dravidii Lekhak, Kambale et S. R. Yadav as per A new Piper from the northern Western Ghats and notes on economic potential of Piper section Muldera : Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 61(6) May 2014.
Hi, Dinesh ji,
May I request you to pl. post the original image of 3rd one, to examine the inflorescence.

P1110067.jpg
P1110064.jpg
P1110066.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2020, 7:37:47 AM5/26/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, Saroj Kasaju
P. dravidii only- from Manoj Lekhak ji.

Dinesh Valke

May 26, 2020, 8:18:40 AM5/26/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Many many thanks Garg ji, Saroj ji and Manoj Lekhak ji.
I always thought the posted plant was Piper nigrum.
Thanks very much for validating and correcting the ID to Piper dravidii.

Garg ji, please find attached the requested picture (original).

Regards.
Dinesh

4174274000_04e52f7197_o.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2020, 9:54:22 AM5/26/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thank you very much Garg ji for the white paper.
While going through this paper, a note says: Piper dravidii is a climber that grows on the edges of high altitude lateritic plateaus.

Today's post of mine that got validated as Piper dravidii, is plant that I sighted in Matheran, an evergreen forest. I hope the habitat is not conflicting with the ID.

Regards.
Dinesh
4174274000_04e52f7197_o.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2020, 10:03:23 AM5/26/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks, Dinesh ji.
It may be that it was initial found there as in the paper, but later seen at many other places in different habitats.
Pl. see more observations at Piper dravidii

Dinesh Valke

May 26, 2020, 10:22:41 AM5/26/20
to manoj lekhak, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very very much Manoj ji, for the clarification.
Thank you very much Garg ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 7:40 PM manoj lekhak <mle...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,
Piper dravidii was initially described from plateau edges.
Later on we had found the species growing in evergreen forests of Karnataka.
I think species have a right to vary in their form and habitat.
regards
manoj

J.M. Garg