MS,July, 2021/06 Camonea/Merremia sp. (umbellata ?) for id.

M Sawmliana

Jul 7, 2021, 12:50:47 AM7/7/21
to indiantreepix
Location : Buarpui
Date : 22-03-2012
Habit : Climber
Habitat : Wild

With regards,
M.Sawmliana
Camonea sp. (Thianpa).jpg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Jul 7, 2021, 3:49:13 AM7/7/21
to efloraofindia
Yes, it's Merremia umbellata,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 07/07/21, 01:18:12 PM

J.M. Garg

Jul 13, 2021, 12:06:50 PM7/13/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Thanks, Pardesi ji.
As per description of Merremia umbellata as per Convolvulaceae Unlimited
Inflorescence umbelliform cymes, few to many flowered ....
It further says:
Merremia umbellata can be recognized by its whitish puberulent axial parts, especially the pedicels; the crowded, umbelliform inflorescences (the secondary and tertiary branches short or none); the unequal sepals, with the outer two shorter, obovate, tapering to narrow bases between which the inner sepals are visible. Generally, the flowers of M. umbellata are smaller and there are more of them per inflorescence than in M. bambusetorum and M. kingii, though precise delimitation for these 3 species remains elusive.

It may be Operculina turpethum (L.) Silva Manso, with flowers solitary or cymose as per Flora of Pakistan (also see Flora of China).

Pl. confirm.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajitno...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2021, 1:14:19 AM7/15/21
to efloraofindia
I think, you have a wrong notion of Operculina turpethum (L.) Silva Manso, Mr. Garg.

Regards,

Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

Jul 15, 2021, 1:38:57 AM7/15/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, M Sawmliana
Hi, Sawmliana ji,
May I request you to pl. post high resolution images to further check the details.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Jul 15, 2021, 2:14:27 AM7/15/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, surajitkoley, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, Saroj Kasaju
Thanks, Sawmliana ji,
Any other images?
What are the species reported in your area?

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, surajitkoley, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Thanks, Sawmliana ji.

Jul 15, 2021, 4:55:24 AM7/15/21
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia, surajitkoley, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Thanks, Sawmliana ji.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 13:27, M Sawmliana <msawm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sir, sorry ! I don't have other image. Stems of Operculina turpethum are often purplish, prominently 2-to4- angled, and narrowly winged.

On Thu, 15 Jul, 2021, 11:08 am J.M. Garg, <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

Jul 16, 2021, 9:50:56 AM7/16/21
to J.M. Garg, M Sawmliana, efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
By now it should be clear that this species can't be Operculina turpethum - NO, NOT FOR THE STEM (though winged stem is an identifying character, but I will leave that part). The CAPSULE/ fruit in Operculina turpethum is "CIRCUMSCISSILE DEHISCENT".

So, what this species can be is the million dollar question!

Is it Merremia umbellata (L.) Hallier f. (of eFI), which is based on  Ipomoea cymosa (Desr.) Roem. & Schult of "Flora of British India"?

There is no easy answer to this very question, because -
  1. Merremia umbellata (L.) Hallier f.  is now Camonea umbellata (L.) A.R.Simões & Staples
  2. Ipomoea cymosa (Desr.) Roem. & Schult  is now Camonea pilosa (Houtt.) A.R.Simões & Staples