[efloraofindia:34312] Flora of Manipur: Citrus longilimon

R. Vijayasankar

May 8, 2010, 4:53:27 PM5/8/10
to indiatreepix
Citrus longilimon (Rutaceae). Planted in house gardens. Credit for the id goes to Gurcharan ji & Dinesh ji (I originally identified this as C. limon, now i am more convinced!).

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

citrus longilimon_1.JPG
citrus longilimon_2.JPG
citrus longilimon_3.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

May 8, 2010, 10:33:27 PM5/8/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
Vijayasankar ji
Thanks for showing us photographs of this Assam lemon, on which we had discussion last week, and I could sort out its identity after a lot of net search.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 8, 2010, 11:32:08 PM5/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, R. Vijayasankar, indiatreepix
great details
tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

R. Vijayasankar

May 9, 2010, 12:43:39 AM5/9/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiatreepix
Thanks once again Gurcharan ji, for the id.

But similar plants have been identified as Citrus medica in the following sites:

So how to confirm this? No picture for C. longilimon available in the net. The protologue (in Bull.Univ. Osaka Perfect....1959) in also not traceable.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Tabish

May 9, 2010, 12:52:32 AM5/9/10
to efloraofindia
I am not able to distinguish it from Citrus medica, which has fruit
which is variable in shape
http://www.healthkerala.gov.in/ayurveda/herb_images/4.jpg
http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/10439/Pictures%20Library/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=143
http://www.flowersinisrael.com/Citrusmedica_page.htm
- Tabish

On May 9, 1:53 am, "R. Vijayasankar" <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Citrus longilimon* (Rutaceae). Planted in house gardens. Credit for the id
>  citrus longilimon_1.JPG
> 134KViewDownload
>
>  citrus longilimon_2.JPG
> 189KViewDownload
>
>  citrus longilimon_3.JPG
> 156KViewDownload

Gurcharan Singh

May 9, 2010, 1:48:02 AM5/9/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Vijayasankar ji and Tabish ji
Assam lemon, characterised by its long fruits (distinctinctly longer than broad) have been named as C. limon at many websites, and as C. medica in many websites. It should not look strange firstly because taxonomy of Citrus is very confusing, secondly many authors consider C. limon as var. or subsp. of C. medica, and as such those not going below species level would simply call it C. medica. Plus C. longilimon (character is in the name itself) is comparatively recently established species, not known to me. NMPMD database is generally well researched, and it is from here as well photographs of Assam lemon at various websites that C. longilimon appears to be the most logical name. Plus GRIN also recognises it as distinct species.

  C. limon is generally differentiated from C. medica by much thinner and smoother rind. Let us try to find out other differentiating features (in addition to longer fruit) of C. longilimon to arrive at final conclusion.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2010, 6:57:43 AM5/26/10
to efloraofindia, Vijayasankar Raman, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, tanay bose

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Thanks once again Gurcharan ji, for the id.

But similar plants have been identified as Citrus medica in the following sites:
So how to confirm this? No picture for C. longilimon available in the net. The protologue (in Bull.Univ. Osaka Perfect....1959) in also not traceable.
With regards
R. Vijayasankar

“I am not able to distinguish it from Citrus medica, which has fruit

 - Tabish”

[...]

J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

citrus longilimon_1.JPG
citrus longilimon_2.JPG
citrus longilimon_3.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 5, 2021, 7:02:38 AM1/5/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding again for ID
Distributed as  Citrus longilimon ?
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 5, 2021, 7:03:24 AM1/5/21
to indiatreepix
orwarding again for ID
Distributed as  Citrus longilimon ?
Group discussion at

Jan 5, 2021, 10:08:16 AM1/5/21
to efloraindia
Citrus medica L. !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/61d5c25e-ccd6-4c6b-ac25-68b497eed049n%40googlegroups.com.

J.M. Garg

Jan 10, 2021, 1:29:59 AM1/10/21
to efloraofindia, Tabish, GurcharanSingh, Vijayasankar Raman, Saroj Kasaju

Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“Thanks once again Gurcharan ji, for the id.

But similar plants have been identified as Citrus medica in the following sites:
So how to confirm this? No picture for C. longilimon available in the net. The protologue (in Bull.Univ. Osaka Perfect....1959) in also not traceable.
With regards
R. Vijayasankar

“I am not able to distinguish it from Citrus medica, which has fruit which is variable in shape

 http://www.healthkerala.gov.in/ayurveda/herb_images/4.jpg
 http://faculty.ksu.edu.sa/10439/Pictures%20Library/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=143
 http://www.flowersinisrael.com/Citrusmedica_page.htm

 - Tabish”

“Vijayasankar ji and Tabish ji

Assam lemon, characterised by its long fruits (distinctinctly longer than broad) have been named as C. limon at many websites, and as C. medica in many websites. It should not look strange firstly because taxonomy of Citrus is very confusing, secondly many authors consider C. limon as var. or subsp. of C. medica, and as such those not going below species level would simply call it C. medica. Plus C. longilimon (character is in the name itself) is a comparatively recently established species, not known to me. NMPMD database is generally well researched, and it is from here as well photographs of Assam lemon at various websites that C. longilimon appears to be the most logical name. Plus GRIN also recognises it as distinct species.
C. limon is generally differentiated from C. medica by much thinner and smoother rind. Let us try to find out other differentiating features (in addition to longer fruit) of C. longilimon to arrive at final conclusion.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

"Citrus medica L. !
Thank you.
Saroj Kasaju"

Vijayasankar

Jan 10, 2021, 2:57:09 AM1/10/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish, GurcharanSingh, Saroj Kasaju
I agree that this is Assam lemon. But the name Citrus longilimon Tanaka, although first published in 1959 and appears in several webpages, is not yet recognized by the major taxonomic databases, including TPL, POWO, GBIF etc. Also, a recent paper (cited below) discusses the morphological diversity of C. medica in NE India and includes specimens of similar fruit shape from the same region. So, I think we can treat this plant as C. medica L. for now along with C. longilimon Tanaka as a probable synonym, until it is further resolved.

Barbhuiya AR, Khan ML, Dayanandan S. Genetic structure and diversity of natural and domesticated populations of Citrus medica L. in the Eastern Himalayan region of Northeast India. Ecology and evolution. 2016 Jun;6(12):3898-911. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/ece3.2174

Thanks!

Vijayasankar
---------------------------------------
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Sr. Research Scientist
University of Mississippi, USA

Saroj Kasaju

Jan 10, 2021, 3:16:02 AM1/10/21
to Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish, GurcharanSingh

Thank you Vijayashankar Ji !

Saroj Kasaju

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 10, 2021, 10:23:54 AM1/10/21
to Saroj Kasaju, Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish
Thanks Vijayasankar for confirming that this is Assam lemon for which name C. longilimon has been published by Tanaka. We already have a page on C. longilimon, and it should go there.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

Jan 10, 2021, 7:36:32 PM1/10/21
to Gurcharan Singh, Saroj Kasaju, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish
Thanks Gurcharan ji!

Vijayasankar

JM Garg

Aug 27, 2022, 1:38:30 AM8/27/22
to GurcharanSingh, Vijayasankar Raman, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
I think this is Citrus medica L., as per images and details herein.