Names of Plants in India :: Arisaema murrayi

Dinesh Valke

Jun 27, 2011, 12:49:00 PM6/27/11
to efloraofindia
via Species‎ > ‎A‎ > ‎

Arisaema murrayi

Arisaema murrayi (J.Graham) Hook.

Flowers of IndiaDiscussions at efloraofindiamore views in flickrmore views on Google Earth

commonly known as: Murray's cobra lily  Marathi: पांढरा सापकांदा pandhra sap-kanda

botanical names: Arisaema murrayi (J.Graham) Hook. ... synonym: Arum murrayi J.Graham

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Jun 28, 2011, 1:59:42 PM6/28/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

murrayi in context of Arisaema murrayi is named for J A Murray, 18th century Swedish student of Linnaeus ... that was my belief, until one of my friends, Adittya Dharap corrected me that it would be Dr Murray, much associated with flora of Mahabaleshwar, a contemporary of Graham.

Searching internet for Dr Murray leads to Dr. John Murray (1809-1898), a surgeon with the Bengal Medical Service of East India Company ... also was into photography of Mughal architecture in India.
Cannot find any mention that he was present in Western Ghats.

Please give some idea about the Dr Murray in whose honour Arisaema murrayi was named.

Regards.
Dinesh

Dinesh Valke

Jun 28, 2011, 2:11:38 PM6/28/11
to efloraofindia
... http://www.mhra.org.in/firsts-mahabaleshwar.htm
The first Superintendent of Mahabaleshwar – Dr. James Murray 1831 to 1839

Regards.
Dinesh

H S

Jun 29, 2011, 1:34:55 AM6/29/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Genus Murraya was honoured to J A Murray, 18th century Swedish student of Linnaeus

regards,

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Dinesh Valke

Sep 10, 2021, 7:36:29 AM9/10/21
to efloraofindia

Dinesh Valke

Sep 10, 2021, 7:38:37 AM9/10/21
to efloraofindia

Arisaema murrayi (J.Graham) Hook.

Arisaema murrayi (J.Graham) Hook.

air-uh-SEE-muh or air-uh-SAY-muh -- name refers to the plant's resemblance to the arum family and haima (blood); referring to some species bearing red blotches ... Dave's Botanary
mer-RAY-yee -- named for Dr. James Murray, Superintendent of Mahabaleshwar (1831 to 1839) ... Taiwania 61(1): 58-60, 2016

commonly known as: Murray's cobra lily, the snake lilly of Mahableshwur • Marathi: पांढरा सापकांदा pandhra sap-kanda

botanical names: Arisaema murrayi (J.Graham) Hook ... synonyms: Arum murrayi J.Graham ... POWO
Bibliography / etymology
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
Murray's cobra lily
the snake lilly of Mahableshwur
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
पांढरा सापकांदा pandhra sap-kanda
  • Flowers of Sahyadri, a field guide to flowers of north Western Ghats of India by Shrikant Ingalhalikar