Request for ID- 13022011RA1

Rashida Atthar

Feb 13, 2011, 2:45:47 AM2/13/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Rerquest ID of this Sterculia sp. seen at Rani Baug on 6 Feb. 2011. It is supposed to be a South Indian species.

regards,
Rashida.
UNID Sterculia 1.JPG
UNID Sterculia flowers.JPG
UNID Sterculia bark.JPG

ajinkya gadave

Feb 13, 2011, 3:33:32 AM2/13/11
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com

Sterculia villosa

Rashida Atthar

Feb 13, 2011, 3:39:20 AM2/13/11
to ajinkya gadave, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ajinkya ji, but no this is not S. villosa as Dr. Almeida was present at the walk and said this is another species.

regards,
Rashida.

rajdeo singh

Feb 13, 2011, 9:23:25 AM2/13/11
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Its definitely Sterculia villosa Roxb. ex DC.

Rajdeo Singh
Project fellow
St. Xavier's College,
Mumbai

Rashida Atthar

Feb 13, 2011, 9:34:28 AM2/13/11
to rajdeo singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rajdeo ji. Sir had an explanation for this being different sp. but will need to check this again.

regards,
Rashida

Satish Phadke

Feb 14, 2011, 9:40:26 AM2/14/11
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
The flowers look close to those I had seen and posted few days back from Karnala. Of course Dr. Almeida sir always has something more. Will await for the response.
Dr Phadke

snehal patel

Feb 14, 2011, 9:59:53 AM2/14/11
to Satish Phadke, Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
100 % it is Sterculia villosa.

one more thing i would like to tell you that dont take Dr. Almeida's decision final.  Before saying anything you should confirm the exact identity of species.

you can ask for tree census report done by greater mumbai municipal corporation.

Rashida Atthar

Feb 14, 2011, 10:23:32 AM2/14/11
to Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Satish ji. Just spoke to Sir, only one specimen is available in the Xavier's herbarium. Id will be known soon. I am posting separately the Sterculia villosa seen very close to the tree under question at Rani Baug. One can see the bark difference and the typical flower pattern.

regards,
Rashida.

Rashida Atthar

Feb 14, 2011, 10:32:42 AM2/14/11
to snehal patel, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Snehal ji,  if you are a Botany student , my advice to you would be to not have such negative  approach towards the interaction on the group. Dr. Almeida  for your information has corrected the many mistakes in the municipal report.  This is a mixed group which thrives on guesses and has grown accordingly. So please do not insist on confirmation before saying anything. I am not a Botanist, but I find one of the most humble persons is Dr. Almeida, and he will be the first one to admit if there is any mistake.  Be open to learn from all sources.

regards,
Rashida.

snehal patel

Feb 14, 2011, 10:42:39 AM2/14/11
to Rashida Atthar, Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com
It's nice to hear that you are not a botanist but keen to learn more about plants.   I met one lady 7 years back in Mumbai who had done her Ph.D on family Sterculiaceae of Maharashtra.  I forgot her name.. but is it possible for you to find out her name...... I think she was a professor........ i met her in one conference at Ruia College.  I think she will help us to discuss this issue.   One more thing, you can go to BSI herbarium or can send the photographs to BSI and Kew botanic gardens for the purpose of correct identification.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 10, 2021, 3:02:34 AM4/10/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID