Kuthan young leaves

shubhada nikharge

Jun 29, 2010, 5:01:35 AM6/29/10
to indian tree pix
Hi,
Attached pics of young leaves of Kuthan tree seen on 27th June, 2010 at Yeoor.

Botanical name: Hymenodictyon orixense
Marathi name : कुथन, भोरसाल
family :Rubiaceae

Stipules are ovate, with tiny teeth-like glands on the margin.

Leaves : Oppositely arranged  with scattered minute hairs all over the upper surface.

Cheers,

Shubhada

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do."

Hymenodictyon orixense new leaves कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0127 e.JPG
Hymenodictyon orixense new leaves कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0128 e.JPG
Hymenodictyon orixense new leaves कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0129 e.JPG
Hymenodictyon orixense stipules कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0135 e.JPG
Hymenodictyon orixense stipules कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0145 e.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 29, 2010, 8:09:39 AM6/29/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
I am speechless seeing the photos !! its simply gorgeous !!
Tanay

2010/6/29 shubhada nikharge <shubhada...@yahoo.co.in>

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Rashida Atthar

Jun 29, 2010, 10:13:33 AM6/29/10
to tanay bose, shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Hi  Shubhada,

Nice pics. I think this is H. obovatum Wall. because stipules are obovate oblong with glandular margins and leaves elliptic or obovate . H.orixense has stipules broadly oblong, obtuse recurved, deciduous.

regards,
Rashida.

Satish Phadke

Jun 29, 2010, 10:45:48 AM6/29/10
to shubhada nikharge, indian tree pix
Very good demonstration of photography of plant character.
H.obovatum
from me too.
I have never seen this tree. Still according to descriptions from books, though the leaves here are not clearly obovate, Leaves appear glabrous rather than pubescent. The petiole here(Picture129) is glabrous above and pubescent beneath which goes in favour of H.obovatum.
In other species it is pubescent on both surfaces.
Dr Phadke
By the way is it the classical example of interpetiolar stipule?I think so.

JM Garg

J.M. Garg

May 12, 2019, 3:36:25 AM5/12/19
to efloraofindia, shubhada nikharge

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

Hymenodictyon orixense new leaves कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0127 e.JPG
Hymenodictyon orixense new leaves कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0128 e.JPG
Hymenodictyon orixense new leaves कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0129 e.JPG
Hymenodictyon orixense stipules कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0135 e.JPG
Hymenodictyon orixense stipules कुथन भोरसाल Rubiaceae 2010_06_27_yeoor_0145 e.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 12, 2019, 5:58:20 AM5/12/19
to efloraofindia, shubhada nikharge
Leaves pubescent - Hymenodictyon orixense (Roxb.) Mabb.
Kind regards,
Varun