[efloraofindia:35714] Hibiscus from Lohari Panipat

Balkar Arya

May 23, 2010, 11:24:49 AM5/23/10
to indiantreepix
Dear All

Hibiscus spp for id
Locally called as San, grown for for stem fibres, leaves sour in taste
Photo- 22-11-2005 Lohari Panipat
Cultivated shrub upto 6-8 feet high

regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat

Hibiscus 1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 23, 2010, 11:44:36 AM5/23/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkar ji
This is neither Crotalaria juncea or C. mucronata, the two species known by the name san or sann and used as fiber, nor Hibiscus cannabinus (Ambari, patsan, pitwa) yielding mesta or kenaf fiber. It appears interesting.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

May 23, 2010, 11:54:59 AM5/23/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Gurcharan Ji
I am searching literature for 2-3 days for this plant.
This plant is being cultivated since long time in Haryana particularly along sugarcane fields and commonly called as san also patsan sometime. Cots (Charpai) Most of the Charpais were/are built from fibres of this plant as i have seen from my childhood. However it is rarely seen now, due to non availability of ditches for its retting.

Some features matches with H gossipyfolia as given in eFlora of Pakistan

Regards

Gurcharan Singh

May 23, 2010, 12:22:22 PM5/23/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkar ji
Perhaps you will have to watch it carefully. H. gossypifolia (H. sabdariffa) has characteristically red fleshy calyx that can't be missed that is why it has common names like Lal-ambari, patwa, lal-mista, lal-ambadi.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

May 23, 2010, 12:41:18 PM5/23/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Balkar ji
I find there is lot of confusion between efloras of Pakistan and China. Pakistan Flora considers  H. cannabinus as synonym of H. sabdariffa (with calyx covered with whitish tomentum) and H. gossypifolia with same H. sabdariffa L. as synonym with red fleshy calyx. Flora of China considers H. sabdariffa and H. cannabinus as two distinct species, former with red calyx and latter without red calyx and with white tomentum.
    In addition all these species unlobed lower leaves and lobed upper leaves. Your plant seems to have even upper leaves without lobes.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr.ANIL KUMAR

May 23, 2010, 12:52:52 PM5/23/10
to efloraofindia
Dear barkha ji

this one is Hibiscus cannabinus only.

On May 23, 9:41 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Balkar ji
> I find there is lot of confusion between efloras of Pakistan and China.
> Pakistan Flora considers  H. cannabinus as synonym of H. sabdariffa (with
> calyx covered with whitish tomentum) and H. gossypifolia with same H.
> sabdariffa L. as synonym with red fleshy calyx. Flora of China considers H.
> sabdariffa and H. cannabinus as two distinct species, former with red calyx
> and latter without red calyx and with white tomentum.
>     In addition all these species unlobed lower leaves and lobed upper
> leaves. Your plant seems to have even upper leaves without lobes.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Balkar ji
> > Perhaps you will have to watch it carefully. H. gossypifolia (H.
> > sabdariffa) has characteristically red fleshy calyx that can't be missed
> > that is why it has common names like Lal-ambari, patwa, lal-mista,
> > lal-ambadi.
>
> > --
> > Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> > Retired  Associate Professor
> > SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> > Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> > Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/
>
> > On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Dear Gurcharan Ji
> >> I am searching literature for 2-3 days for this plant.
> >> This plant is being cultivated since long time in Haryana particularly
> >> along sugarcane fields and commonly called as san also patsan sometime. Cots
> >> (Charpai) Most of the Charpais were/are built from fibres of this plant as i
> >> have seen from my childhood. However it is rarely seen now, due to non
> >> availability of ditches for its retting.
>
> >> Some features matches with H gossipyfolia as given in eFlora of Pakistan
>
> >> Regards
> >> --
> >> Dr Balkar Singh
> >> Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology
> >> Arya P G College, Panipat
> >> Haryana-132103
> >> 09416262964

Dr.ANIL KUMAR

May 23, 2010, 12:58:23 PM5/23/10
to efloraofindia
extremely sorry dr Balkar ji for addressing you as Barkha. i ll take
care in future.

Balkar Arya

May 23, 2010, 1:42:21 PM5/23/10
to Dr.ANIL KUMAR, efloraofindia
Dear All
This plant has done a headache to me
I think i should think upon it tomarrow
Eflora.org has created a lot of confusion
In  flora of Haryana by Jain, Flora of Delhi i could not get any hint
However Flora of Haryana by S Kumar indicates towards H cannabinus

Leaf morphology not match with our plant

Description from Flora of Pakistan
Hibiscus cannabinus Linn.

An annual or perennial, simple or branched herb. Stem with sparse, simple, bulbous, spiny hairs. Blade ovate and not lobed in the lowermost part, in the upper part 3-7 partite; lobes elliptic-lanceolate, coarsely serrate, nearly glabrous on both sides; stipules 6-8 mm long, filiform; petiole 4-15 cm long, almost somewhat spiny near the top. Flowers axillary, solitary, subsessile; epicalyx segments 7-8, linear, 6-10 mm long, sparsely prickly. Calyx fused at the base, 1-2.5 cm long, wooly, also setose or prickly, lobes long acuminate-aristate, with a swollen, linear gland on the central nerve at the base. Corolla yellow with a crimson centre, 3-5 cm across; petals obovate, 4-6 cm long, 2-4 cm broad. Staminal column inserted. Capsule 1.5-2 cm long, c. 1 cm across, conical, beaked, appressed-setose. Seeds many, 2-3 mm long, brown.

Lectotype: Comm. Hort. 1:35.t.18.1701.

It is cultivated in Pakistan for fibre which is white, soft and silkys. In quality it is said to be equal to jute and may be employed for all purposes for which jute is suitable. The seeds are fed to cattle and poultry, and sometimes oil is extracted which is useful as a lubricant. Various parts are also said to be medicinally important.

H cannabinus.jpg

tanay bose

May 23, 2010, 2:13:58 PM5/23/10
to Balkar Arya, Dr.ANIL KUMAR, efloraofindia
Based on the Illustration In Eflora ,Org I don't think this can be Hibiscus cannabinus
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

J.M. Garg

Jun 4, 2010, 1:29:56 AM6/4/10
to efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, grassman

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

“this one is Hibiscus cannabinus only.” from Dr. Anil Kumar

"This plant has done a headache to me
I think i should think upon it tomarrow
Eflora.org has created a lot of confusion
In  flora of Haryana by Jain, Flora of Delhi i could not get any hint
However Flora of Haryana by S Kumar indicates towards H cannabinus
Leaf morphology not match with our plant ....
..................................................................." from Balkar ji.

"Based on the Illustration In Eflora ,Org I don't think this can be Hibiscus cannabinus
Tanay"

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Hibiscus 1.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 4, 2010, 1:53:27 AM6/4/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, grassman
I think it is Hibiscus cannabinus only.

Flora of China reads "...leaf blade dimorphic; blades on proximal part of stem cordate, those on distal part of stem palmately 3-7-lobed..."

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

promila chaturvedi

Jun 4, 2010, 7:09:27 AM6/4/10
to R. Vijayasankar, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, grassman
It is Hibiscus, which is full of Aphids and one big ant is enjoying honey dew which it is getting as a reward form aphids to bring them on the plant. I can not say which var.
Regards,
Promila

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2021, 1:15:50 AM4/7/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2021, 1:16:56 AM4/7/21
to indiantreepix, Balkar Singh
Apr 7, 2021, 4:38:40 AM4/7/21
to efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, Balkar Singh
Does the leaf pattern match ?

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/47ad1a55-63e0-4f9e-b92d-d80bdac7c454n%40googlegroups.com.

J.M. Garg

Apr 11, 2021, 5:44:28 AM4/11/21
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh, Balkar Singh
I think it's close to images and details at Hibiscus hispidissimus Griff.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg