4 pictures for you

Yazdy Palia

Jun 2, 2010, 6:54:30 AM6/2/10
to indiantreepix
Pictures of a fern, ID please
Regards
Yazdy.

You have been sent 4 pictures.

DSCN2689.TIF
DSCN2690.TIF
DSCN2691.TIF
DSCN2692.TIF

DSCN2689.jpg
DSCN2690.jpg
DSCN2691.jpg
DSCN2692.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 2, 2010, 7:49:25 AM6/2/10
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
I think this is "Shield fern" !! Can this be Dryopteris marginalis?
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Satish Chile

Jun 2, 2010, 7:54:49 AM6/2/10
to tanay bose, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Yes Tanay ji it is Dryopteris marginalis
Satish
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

Jun 2, 2010, 7:57:43 AM6/2/10
to Satish Chile, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Bingo !! I got it on target !! i was waiting for a validation as the sorus are not available in the photos hence I was hesitating to move into the species level but it looked like D marginalis to me.
Tanay

Vijayadas D

Jun 2, 2010, 11:11:03 PM6/2/10
to tanay bose, Satish Chile, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Microlepia sps.
Vijayadas D
Horticulturist EstateSupervisorDeputy
Salwa Garden Village, PB -7210
Riyadh -11462 , KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Anantanarayan Rajaram

Jun 3, 2010, 1:03:58 AM6/3/10
to tanay bose, Vijayadas D, Satish Chile, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Dear All,
I am attaching the SEM pictures of the sora of two sp. of ferns I got from Wynad(same place as Sri Yazdy's. Is it possible to know the sp.? I am not a Botanist but I have an SEM and just wanted to see the soral features as it caught my attention! Thanks and best regards,
Rajaram

--- On Thu, 3/6/10, Vijayadas D <dvija...@gmail.com> wrote:
Fern Kalp AR 07a.jpg
Fern Kalp AR 07b.jpg
Fern Kalp AR 08a.jpg
Fern Kalp AR 08b.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 3, 2010, 8:25:22 AM6/3/10
to Anantanarayan Rajaram, Vijayadas D, Satish Chile, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Dear Anantanarayan Ji,
As far as I know the SEM of a sorus (sori) does minutely decipher the structure of a sorus present in the fern but is not enough to determine the genus or species. Available records say that though position , structure and morphology is a major point to validate a fern genus and species but singly is not enough. Hence until and unless the morphology of the plant body in brought into consideration identification is impossible.
Regards,
Tanay

Stephen A

Jun 3, 2010, 11:17:44 PM6/3/10
to tanay bose, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Vijayadas D, Satish Chile, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Dear All,

As a Palynologist I would like to add some more point in this regard.
The identification of spore and pollen is limited to different level of hierarchy - not always species level.
Some plants can be identified using pollen but as far as ferns are concern I go with Tanay's comments.
This is the major limitation of pollen analysis of past sediments with which am now working.
To overcome this limitation, the plants also need to be classified accordingly.
That is different line of the story.
But am very happy to see SEM pictures of Dr. Anantanarayan.
Regards,

Stephen...
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+
Think B4U Print
1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere
3 sheets of A4 paper = 1 litre of water
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+
"Lets Protect What We Enjoy"
"When the last tree is cut n the last river is poisoned, man will realize that s/he cannot eat her/his money"
If you're never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take
any chances - Anonymous

tanay bose

Jun 4, 2010, 12:04:21 AM6/4/10
to Stephen A, Anantanarayan Rajaram, Vijayadas D, Satish Chile, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Dear Stephen,
I rightfully comment on the topic many angiosperms as well as  gymnosperm exine morphology and pore structure can determine the species. But When it comenes to Ferns palynologists are really helpless!!
Regards
Tanay

Yazdy Palia

Jun 9, 2010, 11:08:17 PM6/9/10
to indiantreepix
Hello friends,
Which is this Solanum? While raw the fruits appear exactly like the
one identified by Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji as Solanum Capsicoides when
raw but turns yellow when ripe.
Incidentally, though I had agreed with Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji at the
moment, there are no pictures of raw fruits in the pictures sent by
him.

Regards
Yazdy.
You have been sent 4 pictures.

DSCN2803.TIF
DSCN2804.TIF
DSCN2807.TIF
DSCN2808.TIF

DSCN2803.jpg
DSCN2804.jpg
DSCN2807.jpg
DSCN2808.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 9, 2010, 11:47:16 PM6/9/10
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Yazdy ji
While trying to identify species of Solanum important things to note are: flower colour and size, fruit colour when young and mature, size of mature berry, and whether surface of fruit (young and mature) is glabrous or hairy. Could you please provide this information.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

Jun 9, 2010, 11:50:33 PM6/9/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Dear Yady Ji,
It will be extremely kind of you if you can resend a bit larger photos, it is  easy to notice the minute characters which escape vision in smaller snaps.
Regards
Tanay

Yazdy Palia

Jun 10, 2010, 1:09:50 AM6/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Thank you Sir, Shall do that right away.
Regards
Yazdy.

Yazdy Palia

Jun 11, 2010, 7:08:27 AM6/11/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
The colour of the flowers are white, it may be around 8 mm in
diameter. The fruits are between 15 mm to 20 mm in diameter and are
not hairy. They are very smooth in texture. I have sent you more
pictures by Picasa. They seem to be turning into yellow as they
mature. I am keeping track if they do turn to red at all once it
ripens.
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 11, 2010, 12:39:02 PM6/11/10
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Yazdy ji
Tentatively I would call it as S. torvum. The prickles are broad based.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Jun 11, 2010, 12:49:52 PM6/11/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
Am copying a link to S. Torvum. They look different to me. Am also
sending some pictures from my farm which I thought matches with the
pictures in the wikipedia link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_torvum
Am sending it by Picasa.
Please enlighten me.
Regards
Yazdy.

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 11, 2010, 7:20:31 PM6/11/10
to Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 11, 2010, 9:22:16 PM6/11/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix
Yes Vijayasankar ji and Kunhikanan ji
It could be S. viarum, the only point I find is that berries are supposed to be puberulent which I don't find here.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Jun 12, 2010, 12:48:06 AM6/12/10
to Gurcharan Singh, R. Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Dear Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji,
Am copying a link below, to a lay person it does appear to resemble my
pictures, could the plant whose pictures, I had sent be Solanum
Viarum?
http://www.google.co.in/search?q=solanum+viarum&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en___IN364
Regards
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 12, 2010, 1:08:08 AM6/12/10
to Yazdy Palia, R. Vijayasankar, indiantreepix
Agreed Yazdy ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Jun 19, 2010, 8:21:32 AM6/19/10
to indiantreepix
ID Of this mushroom please?

Regards
Yazdy.
You have been sent 4 pictures.

DSCN2936.TIF
DSCN2937.TIF
DSCN2938.TIF
DSCN2939.TIF

DSCN2936.jpg
DSCN2937.jpg
DSCN2938.jpg
DSCN2939.jpg

tanay bose

Jun 19, 2010, 10:37:59 AM6/19/10
to Yazdy Palia, indiantreepix

Dear Yazdy Ji,
This mushroom belongs to the genus Leucocoprinus sp There are about more than 1000 species reported from the  tropics hence hard to determine species from the photos. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards
Tanay

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 19, 2020, 8:08:04 AM11/19/20
to efloraofindia
Forwarding again for ID
Distributed as  Solanum viarum ?
ID Looks good
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 19, 2020, 8:09:22 AM11/19/20
to indiantreepix
Forwarding again for ID
Distributed as  Solanum viarum ?
ID Looks good
Group discussion at

DSCN2803.jpg
DSCN2804.jpg
DSCN2807.jpg
DSCN2808.jpg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Nov 19, 2020, 8:11:03 AM11/19/20
to efloraofindia
Yes it's Sir Ji,
With regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 21, 2020, 7:34:19 AM11/21/20
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Paradesi ji.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CAPTGuvEHbzSPzQnpMjKo6M2gKEraDOr%3DJPvT-NBCsjCHFzZ_uQ%40mail.gmail.com.