DV - 03JUL10 - 0214 :: whorled trifoliate herb - some Cleome ?

Dinesh Valke

Jul 9, 2010, 3:05:21 PM7/9/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
Seems to be an herb, annual ... a beautiful plant, especially the leaves and their arrangement
.. do not know of its flower or fruit.
ID please

Date/Time
: July 3, 2010 at 2.14pm IST
Location Place : near Amby Valley, Lonavala
Altitude : about 772 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : around 18°39'24.90"N, 73°24'55.29"E

Habitat : moist deciduous forest
Typeforest clearing along road

Plant
Habit
: seems to be herb
Height : about 50 - 60 cm
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves
Type
: compound, trifoliate ... sessile leaflets ... will someone help me with know how these leaves are  arranged ... they look like alternating at about 60°
Shape : lower pair of leaflets - elliptic, acute base, ending obtuse, unequal sided; the terminal leaflet - oblanceolate with hint of being emarginate
Size : variable with lower leaves being smaller, and among leaflets - the terminal being almost twice as larger than the adjacent pair.
... of the largest leaves - the pair of leaflets: about 20 - 25 mm x 10 - 13 mm, terminal: about 35 - 40 mm x 13 - 15 mm
... long petiole, as long as the terminal leaflet.

Inflorescence
Type
: do not know
Size : do not know

Flowers
Size
: do not know
Colour : do not know
Calyx : do not know
Bracts : - no bracts -

Fruits
Type
: do not know
Shape : do not know
Size : do not know
Seeds : do not know

Other Info
Fragrance : do not know
Pollinator : do not know
Uses : do not know

Regards.
P1200120.jpg
P1200117.jpg

R. Vijayasankar

Jul 9, 2010, 7:43:46 PM7/9/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Looks like Crotalaria medicaginea (var. neglecta?). Not sure but!

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

tanay bose

Jul 10, 2010, 12:40:30 AM7/10/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinsh Ji,
A diagnostic character of Crotalaria medicaginea is it will have a notch at the apex of each leaflet if your plant has it then the epithet is correct for it.

Regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Dinesh Valke

Jul 10, 2010, 6:10:51 AM7/10/10
to tanay bose, R. Vijayasankar, efloraofindia
Many thanks Vijayasankar ji for the tip.
Tanay ... can observe notch, albeit faint .... cannot really stress on this notch !!
Let me make another trip to the plant this season and see it flowering.

Regards.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jul 10, 2010, 1:10:25 PM7/10/10
to efloraofindia
Pls check for Cajanus lineatus also. Regards, Shrikant
>  P1200120.jpg
> 223KViewDownload
>
>  P1200117.jpg
> 152KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

Jul 10, 2010, 1:21:22 PM7/10/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
OK, Shrikant ji.
Many thanks for the hint.

The doubts would resolve once we get to see the plant in flowering state.

Regards.

J.M. Garg

Aug 29, 2010, 1:46:13 AM8/29/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Earlier relevant feedback:

Looks like Crotalaria medicaginea (var. neglecta?). Not sure but!

With regards

R. Vijayasankar”

“A diagnostic character of Crotalaria medicaginea is it will have a notch at the apex of each leaflet if your plant has it then the epithet is correct for it.

Regards
Tanay ”

“Many thanks Vijayasankar ji for the tip.

Tanay ... can observe notch, albeit faint .... cannot really stress on this notch !!

Let me make another trip to the plant this season and see it flowering.” from Dinesh ji.

"Pls check for Cajanus lineatus also. Regards, Shrikant"

"OK, Shrikant ji.
Many thanks for the hint.
The doubts would resolve once we get to see the plant in flowering state." from Dinesh ji.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

P1200120.jpg
P1200117.jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 30, 2010, 4:57:17 AM8/30/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, Vijayasankar Raman, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, rajdeo singh
A reply:
"For me it looks like  "Cajanus lineatus"
Rajdeo Singh
Mumbai"

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 13, 2021, 11:26:19 AM9/13/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 13, 2021, 11:27:12 AM9/13/21
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke
Sep 13, 2021, 11:28:57 AM9/13/21
to efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh
Looks correct ID !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Dinesh Valke

Sep 13, 2021, 11:38:47 AM9/13/21
to Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Many many thanks Gurcharan ji for resurfacing this query.
I missed updating the post with ID - it is Cajanus sericeus (Benth. ex Baker) Maesen.
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 14, 2021, 12:34:13 AM9/14/21