Jack fruit - a malnad variety

raghu ananth

Aug 10, 2009, 12:11:02 PM8/10/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Jack fruit - a malnad variety.

The morphological characters (size, shape,..) of this malnad jack fruit differs from the common jack fruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)  . Locals call this fruit by a unique name bikke, rudra bikke(?).

Jack fruit
Kavalu katta, Uttara Kannada, Karnataka
23 June 2009,

Regards
Raghu

Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local
DSC_2784_KavaluKatta.jpg
DSC_2783.jpg
DSC_2786.jpg

devendra bhardwaj

Aug 10, 2009, 10:03:58 PM8/10/09
to raghu ananth, indiantreepix

Hi Raghu ji,

Fruits attached with twigs or with stem? Photo create confusion.

Regard

Devendra

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2009, 11:24:11 PM8/10/09
to raghu ananth, indian...@googlegroups.com
Feedback from Devendra ji in a separate mail:
2009/8/10 raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com>
Yahoo! Local

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

raghu ananth

Aug 11, 2009, 1:26:15 AM8/11/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Devendra ji,

Attached slighty better pictures. Hope this helps.

Regards
Raghu

--- On Tue, 11/8/09, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
2009/8/10 raghu ananth <ragh...@yahoo.com>
DSC_2783c.jpg
DSC_2786d.jpg
DSC_2785.jpg

Pardeshi S.

Aug 12, 2009, 6:23:26 AM8/12/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
i heard there are about 37 varieties of jackfruit in South India,
However i am sorry i dnt have any documented reference to it.
this seems to be some variety of Artocarpus. ill reply back if i got
the reference

regards
Satish Pardeshi

devendra bhardwaj wrote:
> Hi Raghu ji,* *

Stephen A

Aug 12, 2009, 6:53:03 AM8/12/09
to Pardeshi S., Devendra Bhardwaj, indiantreepix
Dear All,

There are about 60 species of Artocarpus available and several cultivars and varieties exist.
I also seen several varieties from South India but I also don't have a documented evidence to prove it but for the former statement i.e. for 60 species, one can see the following reference.

http://www.chicagobotanic.org/downloads/staff/zerega/Zerega_etal_2005_SysBot.pdf

Regards,

Stephen...
--
Think about the Environment before printing this e-mail! ü
+----------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------+

JM Garg

May 9, 2020, 9:02:01 AM5/9/20
to efloraofindia
DSC_2783c.jpg
DSC_2786d.jpg
DSC_2785.jpg

J.M. Garg

May 9, 2020, 9:08:52 AM5/9/20
to efloraofindia, raghu ananth, satish pardeshi, Stephen A
I am not convinced of this being Artocarpus heterophyllus
Forwarding for more feedback pl.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).

DSC_2783c.jpg
DSC_2786d.jpg
DSC_2785.jpg

radha veach

May 9, 2020, 9:39:32 AM5/9/20
to efloraofindia
I have seen this variety. It is fruiting right now. The id is correct
Regards
Radha
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to indian...@googlegroups.com.

Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan

May 9, 2020, 9:49:05 AM5/9/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, raghu ananth, satish pardeshi, Stephen A
There is so much variability in fruit size, shape, color in Artocarpus heterophyllus, just like in mango and jamin. To my view it seems to be Jack tree only.
Thanks
Santhan P

J.M. Garg

May 9, 2020, 10:35:52 AM5/9/20
to efloraofindia, radha veach, satish pardeshi
Thanks a lot, Radha ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

May 9, 2020, 10:36:40 AM5/9/20
to Ponnutheerthagiri Santhan, efloraofindia, raghu ananth, satish pardeshi, Stephen A
Thanks a lot, Santhan ji.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg