Tree for ID-190709-RK

ranjini kamath

Jul 19, 2009, 10:11:29 AM7/19/09
to indiatreepix
Request ID of this v..tall tree - Lalbagh-12-07-09.
Thank you.
Ranjini Kamath
Lalbagh-Aug '09 038-ph.jpg
Lalbagh-Aug '09 032-ph.jpg
Lalbagh-Aug '09 041-ph-1.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 19, 2009, 10:17:18 AM7/19/09
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
... interesting fruits, Ranjini ji ... thanks for sharing.
Regards.

Barry Stock

Jul 19, 2009, 10:48:45 AM7/19/09
to ranjini kamath, indiatreepix
The twinned fruits and distinctive flowers suggest the family is
Apocynaceae.

-bs
> <Lalbagh-Aug '09 038-ph.jpg><Lalbagh-Aug '09 032-ph.jpg><Lalbagh-Aug
> '09 041-ph-1.jpg>

Dinesh Valke

Jul 19, 2009, 11:10:26 AM7/19/09
to ranjini kamath, Barry Stock, indiatreepix
... Barry's hint makes me think of Cerbera manghas ... I am not sure, taking a guess !!
Regards.

ranjini kamath

Aug 5, 2009, 4:56:53 AM8/5/09
to indiatreepix
Hello all   Resending these pictures.Hope it gets a confirmed ID  this time around!
         Ranjini Kamath
Lalbagh-Aug '09 038-ph.jpg
Lalbagh-Aug '09 032-ph.jpg
Lalbagh-Aug '09 041-ph-1.jpg

satish pardeshi

Aug 6, 2009, 5:18:41 AM8/6/09
to indiantreepix
Hello Dinesh Ji
you are very close to the I. D. it is certainly some Cerbera but not
C. manghas. i checked out with C. odollum but it is not matching with
it. but certainly very close to cerbera( the fruit and the calyx are
very indicative).

regards
Satish Pardeshi
>  Lalbagh-Aug '09 038-ph.jpg
> 75KViewDownload
>
>  Lalbagh-Aug '09 032-ph.jpg
> 123KViewDownload
>
>  Lalbagh-Aug '09 041-ph-1.jpg
> 128KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

Prashant awale

Aug 6, 2009, 7:19:50 AM8/6/09
to satish pardeshi, indiantreepix

Hello friends,
Just a wild guess, Could this be "Tabernaemontana elegans"??
best wishes
Prashant..

Barry Stock

Aug 6, 2009, 10:11:55 AM8/6/09
to satish pardeshi, indiantreepix
I had guessed Cerbera as well, but I could not find a match for the
flowers or foliage. It appears that the twinned fruit is not always a
feature of Cerberas spp.

A new species? Is that possible in long-inhabited India?

-bs

J.M. Garg

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Lalbagh-Aug '09 038-ph.jpg
Lalbagh-Aug '09 032-ph.jpg
Lalbagh-Aug '09 041-ph-1.jpg

Barry Stock

Aug 26, 2009, 11:49:55 AM8/26/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix, ranjini kamath, Dinesh Valke, satish pardeshi
Here is a Tabernaemontana with twinned globular fruit, from Thailand, Peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra, Borneo (Sarawak, Brunei, Sabah, West-, Central- and East-Kalimantan) and the Philippines:

Unfortunately the fruits are red!

However, I would imagine the tree in question is a Tabernaemontana spp.

-bs

J.M. Garg

Sep 15, 2009, 9:52:11 AM9/15/09
to Barry Stock, indiantreepix, ranjini kamath, Dinesh Valke, satish pardeshi
Here is further feedback along with attachments from Ranjini ji:
"Hello Folks   Have got pics of Cerbera manghas taken in Lalbagh.The
twinned Fruits pics i have posted are probably those of C.odollum.Will
confirm as soon as possible after checking with an expert in Lalbagh.
Regards
              Ranjini Kamath"

2009/8/26 Barry Stock <barry...@gmail.com>
IMG_5455ph.JPG
IMG_5456-ITP.JPG
IMG_5459-ph.JPG
IMG_5461-ph.JPG
IMG_5467-ph.JPG

ranjini kamath

Sep 25, 2009, 6:39:31 AM9/25/09
to indiatreepix
Hello all This tree has been identified by Lalbagh experts
yesterday as Vocanga africana.Fam:Apocynaceae.Am glad was finally able
to nail it!
Regards
Ranjini Kamath

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 17, 2021, 2:41:05 AM4/17/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 17, 2021, 2:42:07 AM4/17/21
to indiantreepix, satish pardeshi
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 17, 2021, 3:12:41 AM4/17/21
to efloraofindia
Gurcharan Ji,
This is  Vocanga africana.
Regards,
Aarti

Saroj Kasaju

Apr 17, 2021, 6:18:14 AM4/17/21
to efloraindia, ranjini kamath, Gurcharan Singh, J.M. Garg
Voacanga africana Stapf ex Scott Elliot
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Apr 21, 2021, 12:21:34 PM4/21/21
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, ranjini kamath, Aarti S. Khale
Yes, I also agree.
The Same plant has however been listed as Tabernaemontana pachysiphon in FoPI.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 22, 2021, 1:58:58 AM4/22/21
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraindia, ranjini kamath
Garg Ji,
Thanks for the new botanical name.
I was not aware.
Regards,
Aarti

Saroj Kasaju

Apr 30, 2021, 5:41:28 AM4/30/21
to Aarti S. Khale, J.M. Garg, efloraindia, ranjini kamath

Thank you Mr. Garg !

Saroj Kasaju