Relicensing React, Jest, Flow, and Immutable.js & Relicensing the GraphQL specification

Matthew Farwell

Sep 26, 2017, 3:33:09 PM9/26/17
to illegalargument

Richard Vowles

Sep 27, 2017, 6:11:34 AM9/27/17
to illegalargument
Yes, Mark tweeted about it.

Richard Vowles,
Groovy, Java, Javascript, AngularJS - Contract Software for Hire!

Mark Derricutt

Sep 28, 2017, 5:26:30 AM9/28/17
to illegalargument

Hey there Matthew — first up let me say congrats on being the first person in a very long time that anyone's posted to this here IA Google Group. I was beginning to wonder if people actually still listened (even tho the stats show people downloading still...).

As Richard mentioned, I did tweet out about the re-licensing of React/Jest/Flow and ImmutableJS — but I wasn't aware that the GraphQL spec was also being re-licensed.

An interesting point that someone made in r/programming over on Reddit, copyright licensing over the work itself has no direct baring on any patents, so I find it interesting in that post they talk about switching to OWFa for “collaborative open standards” but mention of their patent application over the spec (I suppose that's just a brief announcement post, not a fine detail description of the changes).

Mark

"The ease with which a change can be implemented has no relevance at all to whether it is the right change for the (Java) Platform for all time." — Mark Reinhold.

Mark Derricutt
http://www.theoryinpractice.net
http://www.chaliceofblood.net
http://plus.google.com/+MarkDerricutt
http://twitter.com/talios
http://facebook.com/mderricutt

signature.asc

Matthew Farwell

Sep 29, 2017, 1:54:32 AM9/29/17
to illegalargument
Yes, and it was me that posted last time as well :-)

We started using React recently and the license had to be run through legal. Now all we have to do is upgrade to v 16.

Matthew Farwell.

Richard Vowles

Sep 29, 2017, 4:01:15 AM9/29/17
to illegalargument
Sensible enough to do that!

So many "architects" just chose to use it without taking the license into account - exposing their companies to the associated risk.