Iliad on github then pharo7/8 ?

Steven Costiou

Mar 18, 2019, 9:29:57 AM3/18/19
to il...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I will have a bit more time to play with Iliad these days, I wanted to know if:

1 - We could migrate Iliad on github? (keeping the commit history)
2 - Anybody has worked on moving Iliad to P7 and 8?

I would be willing to do both or to exchange/collaborate with anybody who want/already started to do that.

Steven.

Steven Costiou

Mar 20, 2019, 6:55:14 AM3/20/19
to benoit, il...@googlegroups.com

Le mer. 20 mars 2019 à 00:41, benoit <benoit...@free.fr> a écrit :
  I am for a migration of Iliad on github, although I am far from
comfortable with github in Pharo. And that drive me to your second question.

The tools have improved, and now it works pretty well :)

  I tried to install a newer version of Grease but with all newer
versions are on github and I can't seem to understand how to install these.

I can help with that.

  or get rid of Grease and just consider Pharo as our only Smalltalk supported flavour...

Do you mean the dependency to Grease is specifically related to Squeak?

  Is anyone using Iliad on Squeak ?

Good question. But in GitHub we could have baselines which load versions with Grease (for Squeak) and without it (for Pharo), if that is the only problem it seems easy to fix.
However I will not maintain anything for Squeak, I do not have the knowledge nor the time for it...

  If not, it could make sense, considering our very little manpower, to
focus only on Pharo.

PS : by the way I will attend on Pharo Days in April, will you be there ?

Yes :)

Hernán Morales Durand

May 1, 2020, 2:15:09 PM5/1/20
to il...@googlegroups.com
El lun., 18 mar. 2019 a las 10:29, Steven Costiou (<steven....@gmail.com>) escribió:
Hi,
I will have a bit more time to play with Iliad these days, I wanted to know if:

1 - We could migrate Iliad on github? (keeping the commit history)
2 - Anybody has worked on moving Iliad to P7 and 8?

I've created the repository https://github.com/iliadproject/iliad
Please let me know your Github user names so I can invite you as collaborators.
Or you just can fork and push your changes.

I would be willing to do both or to exchange/collaborate with anybody who want/already started to do that.

Nice to read truly!!

I just started to load packages in Pharo 8 from my repository in SmalltalkHub (which will be down anytime soon I guess)

Cheers,

Hernán

Steven.

Shaping

May 1, 2020, 4:37:53 PM5/1/20
to Iliad project

--

I see that we have a new Iliad GitHub page from just a few hours ago.  That's encouraging.  Is the current effort then to move the code from

https://github.com/iliadproject/iliad

?

Shaping

Shaping

May 1, 2020, 5:43:23 PM5/1/20
to Iliad project

I've created the repository https://github.com/iliadproject/iliad
Please let me know your Github user names so I can invite you as collaborators.

I would like to contribute: https://github.com/Shaping

Shaping

benoit

May 3, 2020, 6:41:36 PM5/3/20
to il...@googlegroups.com
Le 01/05/20 à 20:14, Hernán Morales Durand a écrit :

> I've created the repository https://github.com/iliadproject/iliad
> Please let me know your Github user names so I can invite you as
> collaborators.
> Or you just can fork and push your changes.

Hi all,

I have started to migrate code from
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Iliad to
https://github.com/iliadproject/iliad.

Using https://github.com/peteruhnak/git-migration (on Pharo 7) I have
been able to export data from http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Iliad
to a local git repository.
Before pushing anything to github I would like your opinion and help
about a few issues I got.

1. Git needs an email for every commiter, from all .mcz I got this
list of authors :
- for who I have found an email and a name :
'BenoitAstruc'
'DaleHenrichs'
'GermanArduino'
'gk' and 'GranKrampe'
'HernanMoralesDurand'
'MarianoMartinezPeck'
'np' and 'NicolasPetton'
'SA', 'sa', 'SbastienAudier' and 'SebastienAudier'
'StefanSchmiedl'
'StevenCostiou'
- for who I wasn't able to found an email :
'EliGreen'
'JohnnyT'
'tonyg' (Tony Fleig ?)
- and a few I am unable to even have a name :
'AutoDeprecationRefactoring'
'FirstnameLastname'
'cwp'
'dkh'
'gsa'
Do you know any of them ?
Which name email should I use when it is unknown ?

2. I got issues with three .mcz :
'ConfigurationOfIliad-HernanMoralesDurand.44'
'ConfigurationOfIliad-HernanMoralesDurand.45'
'Iliad-SessionSpecUI-HernanMoralesDurand.1'
The migration tools threw an Exception in a method called
ensureContainsOrganization: which called add on an Array where it should
have been an OrderedCollection. I wasn't able to understand why, so I
excluded those three.
This method is linked to
https://github.com/peteruhnak/git-migration/issues/16.

Hernan, what do you think ?

3. For now I have only taken history from
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Iliad, but that doesn't contain the
whole history of Iliad. Should I try to track things like
http://squeaksource.com/@RXmaiKplVf9-ystd/ci4BG_5m or
https://github.com/NicolasPetton/iliad ?

@+
Benoit

Hernán Morales Durand

May 4, 2020, 9:19:44 AM5/4/20
to il...@googlegroups.com
Hi Benoit

El dom., 3 may. 2020 a las 19:41, benoit (<benoit...@free.fr>) escribió:
Le 01/05/20 à 20:14, Hernán Morales Durand a écrit :

> I've created the repository https://github.com/iliadproject/iliad
> Please let me know your Github user names so I can invite you as
> collaborators.
> Or you just can fork and push your changes.

Hi all,

  I have started to migrate code from
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Iliad to
https://github.com/iliadproject/iliad.

Nice!
Can you share the migration script just in case?

You can check with this script: https://github.com/cormas/cormas/issues/60
But installing git-migration for Pharo 8 like this:

Metacello new
        baseline: 'GitMigration';
        repository: 'github://peteruhnak/git-migration/repository';
        load.
I don't know because for the migrations I did always had the author names.

For the first two you could use a dummy e-mail address.
 dkh could be Dale Henrichs?

There was a page ListOfOkCommitters.

  2. I got issues with three .mcz :
        'ConfigurationOfIliad-HernanMoralesDurand.44'
        'ConfigurationOfIliad-HernanMoralesDurand.45'
        'Iliad-SessionSpecUI-HernanMoralesDurand.1'
   The migration tools threw an Exception in a method called
ensureContainsOrganization: which called add on an Array where it should
have been an OrderedCollection. I wasn't able to understand why, so I
excluded those three.
   This method is linked to
https://github.com/peteruhnak/git-migration/issues/16.

   Hernan, what do you think ?

I didn't checked here yet but you can try to ask to Peter or open an issue in git-migration project if this is a bug.
Also there should be a method #ignoredFileNames: in GitMigration if cannot be fixed.

  3. For now I have only taken history from
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Iliad, but that doesn't contain the
whole history of Iliad.

I think at the time I created the repository there wasn't a tool like smalltalkhub-migration :)
Surely there was another way but I didn't found it.
I never tried to merge commit history from different repositories, so honestly I cannot tell.

Let me know if you succeed, so I can make my repo in SmalltalkHub as read-only.

Cheers,

Hernán

@+
Benoit

Steven Costiou

May 5, 2020, 8:07:46 AM5/5/20
to il...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
my githuub account is StevenCostiou.

It's hard to find time but I still want to work on Iliad. Some of my projects are on hold since 2 years, and I even had an Iliad app running on one of my server for more than a year (I actually forgot it for many months but it was still running).

My problem is actually to level-up on web technologies, which I am not sure I will have the time nor the motivation.
Do you guys still think Iliad has an interest technologically speaking, and that we should spend energy on it?

I guess my question would be more: is there an angle to evolve Iliad in a new and original way you can think about?

Anyway, I'm interested to explore debugging features for Iliad, as it is one of my main areas of expertise. Question is always time.

I can also help with the migration to Pharo 8/9.
Benoit, could you tell me what address email you have for my user account on the sthub Iliad commits? Can it be changed?

Also, I think the github repo of Nicolas is based on GNU-Smalltalk, and it will not be compatible with Pharo.
I remember that in 2010-11, they were committing GNU-st version on github while I was porting it to Squeak and Pharo (mostly Pharo) and directly committing.
So I don't think that you should consider the history for this repository, but we should mention it on the documentation.

Steven.

Steven Costiou

May 5, 2020, 8:14:34 AM5/5/20
to il...@googlegroups.com
Also, I think the github repo of Nicolas is based on GNU-Smalltalk, and it will not be compatible with Pharo.
I remember that in 2010-11, they were committing GNU-st version on github while I was porting it to Squeak and Pharo (mostly Pharo) and directly committing.
So I don't think that you should consider the history for this repository, but we should mention it on the documentation.

Ok I remember after looking at the squeaksource repo that I only (modestly) ported stuff to Pharo at the time, and that the squeaksource version, I think, was compatible Squeak/Pharo.
I am not sure the migration tool will be able to keep history from squeaksource and sthub, because this older squeaksource history was lost in sthub right?

Hernán Morales Durand

May 8, 2020, 1:25:25 AM5/8/20
to il...@googlegroups.com
El mar., 5 may. 2020 a las 9:07, Steven Costiou (<steven....@gmail.com>) escribió:
Hi,
my githuub account is StevenCostiou.

Ok, added

It's hard to find time but I still want to work on Iliad. Some of my projects are on hold since 2 years, and I even had an Iliad app running on one of my server for more than a year (I actually forgot it for many months but it was still running).

My problem is actually to level-up on web technologies, which I am not sure I will have the time nor the motivation.
Do you guys still think Iliad has an interest technologically speaking, and that we should spend energy on it?

I guess my question would be more: is there an angle to evolve Iliad in a new and original way you can think about?

This is a good question.

I think Iliad is a perfect framework for pushing experiments, community is small and friendly with innovation.
There is a working FOSS "product" already, no need to build from scratch.
There will be no angry faces for a broken build for example :)
If someone brings something truly new, shocking, etc. It could be adopted by others.

Siemen Baader

Aug 28, 2021, 5:37:09 AM8/28/21
to il...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

how far did you get with the port? Is there a repo somewhere that can be loaded into Pharo 8 or even 9? I'd really like to have Iliad on Pharo 9 (or 8) or GlamerousToolkit now because the Ubuntu LTS version I use for hosting Pharo 6.1 is no longer supported. Pharo 6.1 does not run on the newer versions because they are 64 bit.

I can help with the port, but I'd need to have a video chat with someone who can explain to me what needs to be done.

As for ideas how to use Iliad: I think it is still unique, even compared to Willow, since it has completely abstracted AJAX requests. I have built some add-ons that allow me to build UIs in static html and preview them quickly in a browser. It would be nice to integrate and release all this.

cheers
Siemen