FoS GC Kinglets and Brown Creeper, Uptown Chicago, Cook Co. (9/23)

Vinod Babu

Sep 23, 2021, 9:18:16 PM9/23/21
to IBET Illinois
Was taking the dog out today and heard a buzz of activity in a little elm on the street. It was crawling with Golden-crowned Kinglets and a Brown Creeper. Looking at ebird, there's been a flurry of sightings yesterday and today; it's kind of amazing these birds have shown up right at the autumn equinox.

Vinod Babu
Chicago, Il

Sundberg, Jeffrey

Sep 23, 2021, 9:19:37 PM9/23/21
to Vinod Babu, IBET Illinois
I had three juncos today in Lake Forest. Surprised me.
Jeff Sundberg

Sep 24, 2021, 9:17:03 PM9/24/21
to Sundberg, Jeffrey, Vinod Babu, IBET Illinois
Yeah, I heard one on few days ago and was a little disturbed lol!

Suzanne Coleman

Cook County, that was in the Des Plaines River area in Park Ridge

Vinod Babu

Nov 21, 2021, 3:51:25 PM11/21/21
to ilb...@googlegroups.com
Flocks of Sandhill Cranes are passing over uptown Chicago, heading South to West-Southwest, possibly staying ahead of tonight's cold front. It's a beautiful day to be out doing fall garden chores with cranes bugling overhead.

Vinod Babu
Chicago, Il

Vinod Babu

Nov 21, 2021, 4:55:24 PM11/21/21
to ilb...@googlegroups.com
The waves are never-ending now, numbering in the thousands overall.

Vinod Babu
Chicago, Il

John Fabrycky

Nov 21, 2021, 7:10:33 PM11/21/21
to Vinod Babu, I IBird
I also had A TON of Sandhills over my house from about 3:25 PM-4:55 PM, my estimate is about 1700.

John Fabrycky
Chicago

Leslie Borns

Nov 21, 2021, 11:08:27 PM11/21/21
to ilb...@googlegroups.com, Vinod Babu
To second Babu's post, yes, it was utterly amazing on the Chicago lakefront this afternoon.  The strong west winds pushed a lot of Sandhills over our way.  During a run on the lakefront path between 2:30 and 4 p.m. I witnessed continuous flocks of Sandhills flying overhead; some flew right over DuSable- Lake Shore Drive and others were coming in off the lake, all headed south or southwest.

I couldn't hear their vocalizing over the traffic on LSD, but it was an awesome sight and one I will not forget.

Leslie Borns
Chicago/Cook

“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. As longs as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there will always be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be. And I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.”