Harris's Sparrow, Lake County

Mark Wallner

Sep 26, 2022, 2:51:45 PM9/26/22
to ilb...@googlegroups.com
At Illinois Beach State Park south unit after not seeing the Harris's Sparrow and not being too concerned since it's only a juvenile, a couple nice gals on the viewing platform told me a few more details and convinced me to go back and take a look.  Turns out the Sparrow likes to hide in the bushes, probably because of the wind, and feed on the trail.  A short video can be seen at the following link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMqe1ud4Ok.
Just 9 Sanderlings at State Line Beach, still some piles of algae on shore.

Mark Wallner,  Pleasant Prairie,  WI

Owen Youngman

Sep 27, 2022, 3:24:52 PM9/27/22
to ilb...@googlegroups.com
I was a mite unsure of an ID of a juvenile Harris’s in my Deerfield back yard yesterday and today — and then I watched this video and decided I was right. My last backyard record of Harris’s was in 2001.

Owen Youngman, Deerfield (also Lake County)

iPhone, ergo sum