Entire Prairie at Techny North was mowed yesterday. No Sightings

Christopher Peppey

Sep 23, 2022, 8:12:08 PM9/23/22
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
I watched an entire ecosystem destroyed yesterday.  Who is responsible for this and why?

Bob Fisher

Sep 23, 2022, 8:31:32 PM9/23/22
to cpe...@gmail.com, ilb...@googlegroups.com
Here's a good reference on what is going on at Techny
In a message dated 9/23/2022 7:12:10 PM Central Standard Time, cpe...@gmail.com writes:

I watched an entire ecosystem destroyed yesterday.  Who is responsible for this and why?

Jeff Bilsky

Sep 23, 2022, 8:40:17 PM9/23/22
to Bob Fisher, cpe...@gmail.com, IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Thanks Bob. To add some further updates from this year - we were able to work on what I consider the best compromise yet and expand the areas we protected during the breeding season. We had successful nesting of the following species: Eastern Meadowlarks, Savannah Sparrows, Spotted Sandpipers, Willow Flycatchers, Red-winged blackbirds, Mallards, Snapping Turtles and others.

The agreement entailed spot mowing with oversight/consultation during the breeding season and an understanding that it would need to be completely cut in the fall (which we were aware would be this week). Judy, myself and others will continue to work with the stakeholders on potential long term solutions that may help further mitigate, and we'll plan to be out there again next spring to protect what we can. Considering it absolutely can and has been clear cut in the height of spring breeding, I think we're in a much better spot than years past.

Jeff

--
Jeff Bilsky
jbi...@gmail.com

Mary Lou Mellon

Sep 23, 2022, 8:43:28 PM9/23/22
to Jeff Bilsky, Bob Fisher, cpe...@gmail.com, IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Yes!  Huge improvement but still not great.  Thanks for your outstanding efforts.
Mary Lou

Sent from my iPhone