ATOM - Description Updates Page Showing No Results

Sangeeta K

Aug 14, 2017, 4:04:33 AM8/14/17
to AtoM Users
Version: 2.3.1
OS: Redhat 7

Navigate to Page: Admin > Description Updates.

I have made changes to some archival descriptions and also added new archival descriptions today. When I enter the filter options on the descriptions update page as

Type = archival description

Date of = both

Publication status = all

And click search, I get no results. Given that I have made some updates today, there should be some archival descriptions showing up. Instead the screen is blank:(Please find the screen shot attached)

Updates.jpg

Dan Gillean

Aug 14, 2017, 10:29:40 AM8/14/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
HI Sangeeta,

This might be related to the date/time stamp issues you were having - did you ever get those resolved? In 2.3, all of this is being completed via SQL queries, so if you have used a different database, or if the date/time stamps are not correct this could be part of the issue as well. In the meantime, you could try re-indexing the site to see if that helps, in addition to looking into the above suggestions.

In 2.4, we have overhauled this page, and moved everything to using the Elasticsearch index for better scalability. There will also be a repository filter, and a date range search, so you can search beyond the 30-day current default of the page. I'm hoping that, even if we can't figure out what is causing the issue in your installation currently, that upgrading to 2.4 when it is released will help resolve the issue.

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Elizabeth Thomson

Aug 15, 2017, 10:26:50 AM8/15/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan, Sangeeta,

We are also running AtoM 2.3.1 on RHEL 7 and are encountering exactly the same issue. All parts of the system appear to be working as expected except for the Description updates report.  We have never had any issues with date/time stamps, however, the Description updates report remains stubbornly empty.

Sangeeta K

Aug 16, 2017, 3:39:24 AM8/16/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

I no longer see the issue with timestamp. I re-indexed and the issue disappeared.
But this issue i still see it.

Dan Gillean

Aug 16, 2017, 10:51:32 AM8/16/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Sangeeta and Elizabeth,

Sangeeta, I'm glad to hear that the timestamp issues are resolved, at least!

From the sounds of it, my guess is that this issue has to do with some of the additional PHP libraries used, and some of the differences in packages or versions when installing on RHEL versus Ubuntu. Our team does not develop, test, or regularly install with CentOS or RHEL, so unfortunately we are limited in the support we can provide.

I wonder if any of our other CentOS or RHEL users have solved this issue? Any recommendations?

In any case, I'm hopeful that by moving everything to Elasticsearch queries, this might be resolved for you in the upcoming 2.4 release.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Elizabeth Thomson

Aug 16, 2017, 1:48:23 PM8/16/17
to AtoM Users

Hi everyone,

My colleague, Mutugi Gathuri, took a look at this issue and he discovered the following:
The RHEL7 distribution contains mariaDb instead of MySQL.  The search results don't show up because of a datetimestamp which mariaDb treats as invalid. MariaDb[1] works slightly different than MySQL and that is why we see results on Ubuntu but did not see results on RHEL7 with mariaDB.

In line 192 of the file apps/qubit/modules/search/actions/descriptionUpdatesAction.class.php,  the value "24:00:00" is hard-coded, which is not valid for mariaDb. A valid datetime stamp would be "2017-08-16 23:59:59".

The following sql works while the second one doesn't.

*The following sql works*
{code}
string(473) "Criteria: SQL (may not be complete): SELECT FROM `information_object`, `object` WHERE information_object.PARENT_ID IS NOT NULL AND ((object.CREATED_AT>=:p1 OR object.UPDATED_AT>=:p2) AND (object.CREATED_AT<=:p3 OR object.UPDATED_AT<=:p4)) AND information_object.ID=object.ID ORDER BY object.UPDATED_AT DESC Params: object.CREATED_AT => '2016-08-16', object.UPDATED_AT => '2016-08-16', object.CREATED_AT => '2017-08-16 23:59:00', object.UPDATED_AT => '2017-08-16 23:59:59'"
{code}

*This SQL fails with a warning*
{code}
string(473) "Criteria: SQL (may not be complete): SELECT FROM `information_object`, `object` WHERE information_object.PARENT_ID IS NOT NULL AND ((object.CREATED_AT>=:p1 OR object.UPDATED_AT>=:p2) AND (object.CREATED_AT<=:p3 OR object.UPDATED_AT<=:p4)) AND information_object.ID=object.ID ORDER BY object.UPDATED_AT DESC Params: object.CREATED_AT => '2016-08-16', object.UPDATED_AT => '2016-08-16', object.CREATED_AT => '2017-08-16 24:00:00', object.UPDATED_AT => '2017-08-16 24:00:00'"
{code}

Dan Gillean

Aug 16, 2017, 2:44:17 PM8/16/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Interesting!

Yes, we recommend installing the percona MySQL distribution in our recommended installation docs. Thanks for sharing this, Elizabeth!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Sangeeta K

Aug 22, 2017, 3:38:06 AM8/22/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks a lot for the information. I changed the line in apps/qubit/modules/search/actions/descriptionUpdatesAction.class.php
$dateEnd = $this->form->getValue('dateEnd').' 23:59:59';

I could see the description updates.

Thanks and Regards
Sangeeta