Luigi Barella

Jul 22, 2022, 9:47:25 AM7/22/22
to AtoM Users
Hello everyone
I'm installing ATOM on DEBIAN, using MariaDB and Apache2; in the last configuration step I get the error "Elasticsearch error."
I found elasticSearch already installed, but even de-installing and following the instructions the result doesn't change; eleasticSearch version is 7.17.5
Thanks in advance for the help

Luigi

Jim Adamson

Jul 25, 2022, 6:45:34 AM7/25/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luigi,

If you want a pain-free installation experience installing the current version of AtoM, 2.6.x, I'd recommend sticking to the recommended package dependencies, which means:
  • MySQL 8
  • Nginx
  • Elasticsearch 5.x
  • PHP 7.2
This means adding some extra repositories to fetch those dependencies from. See the following for a full guide:

Note the above is for Ubuntu 18.04, but you may have luck with the equivalent version of Debian, "buster".

Thanks, Jim

Jim Adamson
Systems Administrator/Developer
Facilities Management Systems
IT Services
LFA/023 | Harry Fairhurst building | University of York | Heslington | York | YO10 5DD

Luigi Barella

Jul 25, 2022, 7:34:42 AM7/25/22
to AtoM Users
Thank you!
I don't have the ability to install older versions of Debian, Debian version 11 (bullseye) is a requirement.
The configuration seems ok even with MariaDB and Apache2, the blocking problem is ElasticSearch

Jim Adamson

Jul 25, 2022, 8:14:10 AM7/25/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I think the biggest hurdle will be configuring Apache in such a way that you can be confident it works 100%. I had an initial look at this last year, testing on Ubuntu. See https://groups.google.com/g/ica-atom-users/c/9Z-K2bBFiDM/m/3kAqTSWhAAAJ. If your only constraint is the version of Debian, Bullseye (11), and you hit issues with Apache, you should be able to swap Apache for Nginx.

I wonder why the elasticsearch installed is 7.17.5 ? If you followed the instructions you should have 5.x installed.

Also note that Bullseye appears to offer PHP 7.4 from its repositories, which is a requirement for the next release of AtoM, 2.7. However, for the current release of AtoM, 2.6, you need PHP 7.2, which will mean adding a PPA e.g. add-apt-repository -y ppa:ondrej/php in order to get the PHP 7.2 dependency packages.

I hope that helps, and good luck!

Thanks, Jim

Dan Gillean

Jul 26, 2022, 9:13:28 AM7/26/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Luigi,

I can't speak to the other changes you've made (we don't test or develop AtoM using Debian or Apache; and there are some compatibility issues between MariaDB and MySQL 8.0), but:

You will definitely continue to encounter errors unless you downgrade Elasticsearch to 5.6. There are major breaking changes in both v6 and v7 of Elasticsearch that will require significant changes in AtoM to incorporate. We hope to do this in future releases, but for now you will need to use ES 5.6.

I also recommend following Jim's advice about the PHP version - there are at least a few known issues in 2.6 (here's one example) with PHP 7.4 that we have fixed in the upcoming 2.7 release.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Luigi Barella

Jul 28, 2022, 3:08:42 AM7/28/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan
thanks for your support and courtesy
We also tried with the recommended version of ES, but the result is the same.

Given the difficulties, we are verifying the possibility of preparing a new machine with Ubuntu operating system: this should solve every problem
Thanks
Luigi

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZ%2BzhCxUQNFFq1xn%3DqeEcTG7%2BGA0W%2BOxw1qhrg7o44ugpA%40mail.gmail.com.