Properly clean the Atom tmp files system without rebooting

afto...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2022, 1:46:37 PM10/13/22
to AtoM Users
Dear All,

We have Atom installed using multiple archival institutions in a centralized way.

Even with having sized the disk properly to work with several simultaneous institutions, we are facing resource shortages in some directories due to the accumulation of temporary files and logs, among them /tmp and /var/elasticsearch

Someone told me that Atom cleans the temporary or unnecessary files correctly just by rebooting the machine, which I think is kind of absurd being a 24x7 machine.

How do you work to clean unnecessary files (tmp files), without having to reboot the system all the time?

Do you use any script in crontab?
Sincerely,

Augusto Torres

Dan Gillean

Oct 17, 2022, 9:57:45 AM10/17/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Augusto,

I'm hoping that others in the community might be able to share their solutions with you, but I can offer a few notes that might help:

First, there are a couple minor enhancements coming in the AtoM 2.7 release that should help reduce the number of temporary files left after operations. See for example:
Second, depending on your configuration, Elasticsearch can generate a lot of logs that consume space. You can adjust this - there are some links and examples to get you started here:
Finally, AtoM 2.7 will also include a command-line task that will help system administrators deal with some of the temporary files created during operations. See:
Once the release is available, it's possible you could set up a very simple cron job to run this task periodically.

Combined, hopefully these changes will help address the issues you're encountering!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.