Sort treeview (information object): Identifier - Title -> Erro

Gregory Bevilaqua

Jul 18, 2017, 2:50:41 PM7/18/17
to AtoM Users
Hello,

When I am ordering the tree by Id and Title the digital objects are not appearing on the side tree .... Even having thousands of objects only the first appears.

Could someone help me with this error?
Here is a print showing the problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

As we can see in the image only 1 digital object appears, but within that item there is more than 15.

Dan Gillean

Jul 18, 2017, 2:59:00 PM7/18/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Gregory,

It appears that your digital object descriptions may lack an identifier - there is a known issue with the treeview sort options, which I have described in the following thread:
You might get better behavior if you ensure all your lower-level descriptions have both an identifier and title, but for now, the best option is to use the manual sort, and the drag-and-drop functionality this sort mode supports to reorder the lower-level descriptions as needed.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Gregory Bevilaqua

Jul 18, 2017, 3:17:22 PM7/18/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan,

I'm sorry for my English

I'm realizing that this problem with ordering is constant and happens to countless people ...
I suggest you make a spending forecast of how much you would spend to implement this functionality and start a campaign on some of these collaborative donation systems.

I think the whole community would collaborate for such a development.

It really is very costly to do the manual sort in a collection of 20 thousand digital objects

Gregory Campos Beviláqua

UFC (Universidade Federal do Ceará)
     "Desenvolvimento de Sistemas"
            www.memorial.ufc.br

Telefone:. (85) 9994-1400
Email: gregbe...@gmail.com

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Gregory Bevilaqua <gregbe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

When I am ordering the tree by Id and Title the digital objects are not appearing on the side tree .... Even having thousands of objects only the first appears.

Could someone help me with this error?
Here is a print showing the problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

As we can see in the image only 1 digital object appears, but within that item there is more than 15.

Dan Gillean

Jul 18, 2017, 4:00:31 PM7/18/17
to ICA-AtoM Users

Hi Gregory,

We have in fact had a preliminary internal meeting to discuss the treeview sort issue with our developers, based on interest from other users in solving this issue. It seems this is a very difficult bug to fix. Let me explain a bit.

Current method and problems

Currently, we are performing the treeview sorting in the MySQL database. When set to sort by title or identifier-title, the current code first tries to perform a number of operations to normalize the results, including:

  • Adding padding (leading zeroes) to identifier values for proper sort order

  • Checking for fallback culture values if there is no translation in the current culture (i.e. language)

  • Stripping case, so capitalization does not affect sort order

However, the kind of sorting available in MySQL is not in fact a “true” alphabetical sort - it is what is sometimes called “ASCIIBetical” - this means that characters are sorted based on their values of the ASCII table, where capital letters come before lowercase ones, and so forth. This article explains it pretty well:

Because providing natural sort in a multilingual application where you might have content in many languages can be so difficult, right now this is how all “alphabetical” sorting works in AtoM, such as with the sort button, as noted in the documentation in this section:

It seems that, when AtoM tries to sort based on title or identifier-title and it encounters some descriptions without values, or without translations, this causes a loop in the code that breaks the treeview.

Unfortunately there are only 2 main options to fix this that we consider viable at the moment, and both are complex, or have consequences.

Option 1

The first option is to simplify the code. This is the cheaper option, but it will have negative effects for end users. We could remove the culture fallback code and attempt merely to sort in the current culture. However, this would mean that:

  • Descriptions missing an identifier will always show up first in the identifier + title sort, before items that do have an identifier.  Descriptions missing a title will always show up first in the title sort.

  • Descriptions in another culture will not be shown where there are no translations - so if you have content in primarily in Portuguese and English, but only some have translations, then when viewing the interface in Portuguese you will not see the English descriptions, and vice versa.

  • The sort order will remain ASCIIbetical - so capitalization, special characters, etc will affect sort order.  In particular identifiers using numbers will be sorted as ASCII strings (e.g. “1”, “10”, “100”, “11”, “2”, …).

We have tried something like this in previous versions of AtoM and received a lot of complaints from the AtoM community, so we are hesitant to recommend this solution. Note that the problems listed above can be mostly avoided with good descriptive habits: translate either everything or nothing; use leading zeros in identifiers to pad them (e.g. 0001 instead of 1), ensuring all descriptions have titles and identifiers, etc. But not all users will consider these factors before changing the settings.

We estimate this fix would be in the $3,000 - $6,000  range.

Option 2

The other option is to move sorting out of MySQL, and use something else (such as PHP or our search index, Elasticsearch) to handle sorting. The advantage is that there are many more “natural sort” options available this way so we could improve the sort order to make it more alphabetical. We could change the database structure to include sort order columns that should help with translated content.

However, this option will require much more analysis and development to implement, requiring significant changes in AtoM. This will unfortunately make it much more expensive to develop.

Our developers estimate this work would be in the range of $15,000 - $30,000.

I realize we have not presented you with very desirable options, but given the current state of the code and all the work it would take to introduce changes that respect the international user base and translation capabilities of AtoM, this is what we are able to do - either the fix will be partial as in Option 1, or it will be expensive.

If your institution is interested in discussing this further, please feel free to contact me off-list.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.