Https and SSL

Simo Slaoui

Mar 22, 2022, 5:24:19 PM3/22/22
to AtoM Users
Hi everyone,

I just updated a fresh install of Atom. On Azure linux virtual machine.
I got SSL certificate from Azure but I have no idea how to install it on Atom.

Atom is already connected to a custom domain name, but I cannot use https to secure it.

Do I need to set that on Nginx or Mysql? Has anyone found a solution.

Merci

Dan Gillean

Mar 23, 2022, 8:36:10 AM3/23/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Simo,

I believe that SSL configuration takes place in Nginx. Here's a brief introduction:
A quick online search for "configure SSL nginx" or similar should turn up many other resources.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Simo Slaoui

Mar 23, 2022, 6:51:09 PM3/23/22
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,
Thanks again :)
I found some ressources about ssl on nginx. But my concern is about editing atom's file configuration on /etc/nginx/sites-available/atom
Not sure if I have to edit this one.
I'll try you link a give you my feedback.

Merci beaucoup

Dan Gillean

Mar 24, 2022, 12:12:53 PM3/24/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Simo,

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that yes, you will need to edit the atom.conf file created in the sites-available directory during installation.

Essentially, you will be updating and replacing the current section that has the config listening on port 80, and replacing it with the SSL configuration to listen on port 443. It's also considered good practice to add a redirect for any HTTP requests received on port 80 to use HTTPS instead.

I found the following third-party guide a bit easier to follow than the original NGINX link I sent you, in case it helps:
I also found an older thread in the forum with an example configuration block provided by one of our system administrators, for reference:
Hope it helps!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Simo Slaoui

Mar 25, 2022, 11:10:55 AM3/25/22
to AtoM Users
Thanks a lot Dan. It works!!!
For now I did it with cerbot and letsencrypt. I had issue with microsoft certification that I need to fix.
But it woooorkss :-)