Release announcement: AtoM 2.4 public release is now available!

Dan Gillean

Sep 6, 2017, 10:46:19 AM9/6/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Greetings AtoM community!

I'm very pleased to announce that the AtoM 2.4 release is now publicly available.

This release is full of new features, including:
  • Full support for large import and export via the user interface
  • Public user access to bulk export from the clipboard
  • An overhaul of the AtoM search index for better results
  • Ability to add repository and authority records to the clipboard
  • A job details page to view the console output from asynchronous tasks
  • An overhaul of the Description updates module
  • New multi-repository user interface settings for better per-institution browsing
  • Ability to perform imports as updates to existing descriptions
  • A new Occupations access point for authority records
  • Support for EAD XML in the OAI Repository responses
  • Dynamic Google map creation for digital objects, to support geolocation
  • The ability to upload locally created finding aids instead of generating them from existing descriptions
  • Drag and drop rearrangement added to the full-width treeview
  • Improved search options for digital objects and finding aids
  • Improved related records links on the authority record view page
And more!

We've also added many other bug fixes - many of them based on your reports in the user forum - and smaller enhancements to existing features to this release, including:
  • Clipboard links added to Description updates and the Inventory list
  • Ability to edit accession numbers and/or disable the accessions mask
  • Scalability enhancements for the full-width treeview
  • Export XML code optimization
  • Fixes for several previously untranslatable strings in the user interface
  • Support for performing move operations with the job scheduler to avoid timeouts
  • Ability to escape special characters in search strings
  • Fixes to the "all matching" links in the global search autocomplete results
And much more!

For further details and links to the relevant documentation, please see the full release announcement on the AtoM wiki:
We've closed over 150 issue tickets in the 2.4 release - you can explore them here:
You can find a tarball of the 2.4 release on our Downloads page, or you can install directly from our GitHub code repository - both options are outlined in our Installation instructions. As always, please be sure to review the Requirements, Installation, and Upgrading documentation for any changes in dependencies.  The 2.4 documentation is still a work in progress, but most of the major changes have now been documented - we will keep adding to the docs in the coming weeks!

Thank you to all of the sponsoring institutions who have helped make this release possible, all the individuals who submitted pull requests or reported bugs via this forum, all our volunteer translators who help make AtoM available globally, and all community members who have helped in so many other way. We couldn't do it without you!

Please let us know what you think of the 2.4 release! And as always, let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS

societe....@cableamos.com

Sep 8, 2017, 12:43:29 PM9/8/17
to AtoM Users
Félicitations à toute l'équipe. J'ai fais la mise à jour : ça fonctionne pour moi. Thank you for the good work!

Guillaume Trottier

pbo...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2017, 10:08:35 AM10/3/17
to AtoM Users
Is there a virtual machine available ?

Thanks Much

Dan Gillean

Oct 3, 2017, 10:35:19 AM10/3/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Pierre,

We do provide a Vagrant box for local testing and development. You can find more information here:

First, the Vagrant box is NOT scaled for use as a production install - it has limited memory and disk space. It is intended for users to be able to easily install AtoM on a local device like a laptop, for testing and development.

Second, we have a new qa/2.5.x box available, but as we are in the process of upgrading AtoM's Elasticsearch index from v1.7 to v5.5 (a huge change!) if you are looking for a stable version, I recommend installing the 2.4 box instead. If you don't specify, you will get the latest. Here's how you can specify when you run the init command:
  • vagrant init artefactual/atom --box-version=2.4.0.1
We don't maintain production-ready virtual machines. If you are looking for this, I suggest that you simply create a plain Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine with the virtualization tool of your choice, and then follow our regular installation instructions in the machine.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

dharl...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2017, 4:24:46 AM11/10/17
to AtoM Users
Greetings Dan,

on behalf of the National Library of Greece, I post the following user priviledges issue:

I have an administrator account in ica-atom, to which the view draft priviledge for an archive is granted.
Recently we upgraded from 2.3.0-138  version to 2.4 version

(we migrated the data according to the instructions shown in

BUT
in 2.4 version, the administrator account, which has access to view draft archival descriprions and Authority records CANNOT
see those drafts, unless they are published.

Can you please help us?

We would appreciate any help provided.

If you need further info feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Dimitris

Dan Gillean

Nov 10, 2017, 10:58:35 AM11/10/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Dimitris,

Interesting. I have double-checked that Admin users can see drafts in 2.4 - at least in an English language installation. I'm wondering if there might be internationalization issues occurring here. Can you tell me more about your installation, so I can try to reproduce this issue? For example:
  • What version of PHP and operating system have you used?
  • Did you follow our default installation instructions? If yes, did you use the Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04 instructions? If no, what changes have you made?
  • What is the default installation culture of your site? Note, you can always check in apps/qubit/config/settings.yml (docs here)
  • What language was the user interface in when the descriptions were created? Are you searching/browsing in the same language, or different?
  • Have you tried to re-index your site to see if it helps? What else have you tried already to resolve this issue?
  • Have you tried creating a new Admin user to see if this issue is user-specific?
  • Have you double-checked the permissions settings on the Administrator user group?
  • Have you made many changes to the user or group permissions? If so, can you describe these further?
  • Can you tell me more about the authority records issue? Authority records do not have a draft status at present - even public users can usually browse, search, and view them. What happens when your administrator user account tries to do so?
Anything else you can tell us that you think will help identify the issue further would be appreciated!

Another tip for double-checking this - you can perform a search directly for all draft records, to see if any are returned, by entering the following search term:
You would need to be logged in for the results to be returned, even in a working installation :) But it may be useful for checking if this issue is resolved as we try different things.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

kjam...@ualberta.ca

Nov 27, 2017, 4:55:04 PM11/27/17
to AtoM Users
Hey Dan,

Wondering if there are any known bugs with the drag and drop feature for the full width tree view? Ours is doing weird things (i.e. it is creating artefacts where it appears as if a record is nested in two places) and we're not sure if its a bug or if its our install. Heard anything?

Thanks!

Dan Gillean

Nov 27, 2017, 5:04:20 PM11/27/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Krista,

I don't (yet) know of particular bugs with the drag and drop in the full-width treeview.... however, what setting are you using for the treeview sort options? There has been a long-standing issue with pretty much any option other than "Manual", and which we investigated, but it turns out it will require significant development to address - it's possible this bug affects the full-width treeview as well. Can you double-check what setting you are currently using?

Is this issue one that persists, when you refresh the page in the browser? I'll try to reproduce locally soon, and let you know what I find.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

kjam...@ualberta.ca

Nov 27, 2017, 6:22:43 PM11/27/17
to AtoM Users
Yes we are using manual sort. Yes, it persists with browser reload. We've even re-run the nesting and indexing and it still persists then as well.

treeview setting.jpg

tanisfr...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2017, 10:09:08 AM12/8/17
to AtoM Users
2.4 is great! Personally I love how you can move and drag/arrange folders now in a hierarchy.

I found a mistake in the documentation:
This page says to use the 3-letter code for language

While this page says to use the 2-letter code

I found out that it is the 2 letter code that works! I got language error messages when I tried using the 3 letter code.

Thanks!
Tanis

Dan Gillean

Dec 8, 2017, 12:01:51 PM12/8/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hey, thanks for the catch, Tanis - I've fixed this in the 2.4 and 2.5 documentation :)

Krista, unfortunately, I've still not been able to recreate this issue locally. Can you remind me about your AtoM installation again - did you follow the recommended installation instructions? If yes, Ubuntu 14.04, or 16.04? If no, what have you changed? Anything else that it might be useful for me to know?

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

kjam...@ualberta.ca

Dec 11, 2017, 12:05:42 PM12/11/17
to AtoM Users
Apparently this issue has been fixed. Something about setting it to re-nest nightly?

Dan Gillean

Dec 11, 2017, 12:12:40 PM12/11/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Krista,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you have a solution in place for now. I wish we'd managed to get to the bottom of this, because a nightly rebuild of the nested set shouldn't be necessary! I will keep this issue in mind as I do further testing.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.