Demonstrations of Archivematica

Daniela Moneta

Aug 17, 2021, 4:41:30 PM8/17/21
to AtoM Users
Dear AtoM Users,
Can someone tell me if the Artifactual team gives demonstrations about Archivematica? I have seen the demos on YouTube. Our archives uses AtoM for cataloging and providing access to its members. Some of the administrators of our organization are looking into Preservica as an option for digital preservation. I understand that Preservica is not compatible with AtoM. That worries me. Also the cost for Preservica would be a monthly stain on our budget, something like $1,000 a month. We have IT staff and DBAs that installed, and manage, and upgrade AtoM. It has turned out to be very reliable and we have had no problems. Could that same IT staff install and manage Archivematica? Would Archivematica require more IT maintenance than AtoM?   We use AWS as our web provider for AtoM and the cost is minimal, less than $25 a month. We are a small archive. Would the Archivematica platform be more expensive than a small to midsize archive database on AWS?

Thank you for your response,
Daniela

Dan Gillean

Aug 19, 2021, 10:52:06 AM8/19/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Daniela,

Artefactual is typically not able to offer free demos on request unless, in some cases, we are quite certain that someone will purchase one of our services, such as hosting or remote technical maintenance. You might consider contacting Artefactual about options for limited term maintenance, or some training sessions focused on installation and maintenance if you intend to self-host and self-maintain long term, but aren't sure what is involved.

In the meantime, I would encourage you to consider posting to the Archivematica user forum and asking for stories, insight, and perspective on installation and maintenance from some of the other users there. Hopefully you can get a sense of the requirements (both technical and skill based) from other community members, that may help inform your choice!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.