Typeahead search suggestions

Nathanael

Mar 11, 2015, 8:24:12 AM3/11/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I keep coming across a fairly irritating bug related to the suggested options which appear below the search bar when you start typing. You should be able to click on one of these to be taken to the relevant page - half the time however this doesn't seem to work and clicking produces no results. Has anyone else found this? What might be done about it?

Thanks

Nathanael

Victoria Peters

Mar 11, 2015, 9:13:29 AM3/11/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I’ve come across this too in AtoM 2.1 – I think it used to work ok in earlier versions.

Victoria

Hutchinson, Tim

Mar 11, 2015, 11:06:36 AM3/11/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I’ve never come across a problem linking to a specific description (etc.), but there are a few known issues related to partial strings and the “all matching …” links. I think these are the relevant issue tickets:

https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5276

https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/5720

https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/7757

Tim

Sarah Romkey

Mar 11, 2015, 12:05:44 PM3/11/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nathanael and Victoria,

Are you able to give us a few more details about how to reproduce this error? When you say the click produces no results, does it bring you to a search with no results or does it not move you from the page you were on? Did you happen to notice if it applies to archival descriptions only, or other types of entities also?

Cheers,

Sarah

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Systems Archivist
Artefactual Systems
604-527-2056
@ArchivesSarah

Nathanael

Mar 12, 2015, 6:15:15 AM3/12/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sarah

I mean it does not move you from the page you were on - the suggested result is not functioning as a link to take you to the page suggested. I don't think it depended on the type of entity - at the moment I can't reproduce the problem; it seems to happen sporadically.

Thanks

Nathanael

Sarah Romkey

Mar 12, 2015, 12:30:52 PM3/12/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the explanation Nathanael!

This may be a silly suggestion so forgive me if you already noticed this- in the case of archival descriptions, the title of the description is clickable but the level of description is not. I have tried to illustrate this in the screenshot attached. It doesn't explain other entities not clicking through though.

Since we can't seem to replicate this bug I am hesitant to file anything for our developers to look at, but if you notice a pattern at some point please let us know!

Cheers,

Sarah

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Systems Archivist
Artefactual Systems
604-527-2056
@ArchivesSarah

autofill.png

Creighton Barrett

Mar 13, 2015, 11:17:37 AM3/13/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathanael,

Just wanted to chime in and say that we have also noticed this problem. Definitely not half the time, it's very rare, and hard to reproduce. But all our staff have encountered a situation where you click on the title in the autocomplete results and it doesn't take you to the page. This also happens when you click on the "Advanced Search" link.

It was suggested to me once that the problem could come from the index and that rebuilding the index would make the problem go away. Maybe give that a shot? I can say that this is happening much less now that we've rebuilt our site. I actually can't recall the last time it happened...

One other thing - Sarah's point about the "level of description" not being clickable was also causing some trouble here, so we had our developer extend the link to include the level of description. You can see how this works by searching our site:

http://findingaids.library.dal.ca/

If you're interested in this, I could check with our developer and send along some details about whatever she did. We've also restricted the autocomplete to archival descriptions.

Cheers,

Creighton

Creighton Barrett

Mar 13, 2015, 11:25:09 AM3/13/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I just reproduced this...by deliberately trying to click between the autocomplete results and the level of description. I did it twice, but tested at least a dozen times, so it is very fickle...

I searched our site for "oland" and clicked between "Oland, Richard" and "subseries."

It also just worked by deliberately clicking above the comma between "Oland" and "Richard." In all situations, the cursor appears in hover mode, so the end-user should expect the link to work. When this used to happen more frequently I remember thinking the clickable area was very small. It seemed to be limited to the actual text and not the spaces between or around the text, if that makes any sense...

Victoria Peters

Mar 13, 2015, 11:30:40 AM3/13/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

I can’t actually reproduce this myself at the moment. Until very recently, it did happen quite frequently.

Victoria

Sarah Romkey

Mar 13, 2015, 11:34:29 AM3/13/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
In a similar situation we were in before, one of our developers taught me the term Heisenbug :)

It sounds like it might be worth considering expanding the clickable area to include the level of description, and perhaps reviewing the code for the other entities to see if this can be improved. I'll consult with Dan and our developers.

Cheers,

Sarah

Sarah Romkey, MAS,MLIS
Systems Archivist
Artefactual Systems
604-527-2056
@ArchivesSarah

José Anjos

Mar 16, 2015, 9:52:12 AM3/16/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
After I've posted a new topic ( https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ica-atom-users/aeUnHPmQV7E )
I read this and I thing that the problem can be related.
Cheers

Sunny Lee

Jun 7, 2016, 9:45:51 AM6/7/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi all,
I think it might be an OS X specific bug? The hyperlinks in the search suggestion layer show a search result page without problem in  Windows desktops but not in all the Macbooks I tested. I was able to reproduce the same problem for most live AtoM sites (AtoM 2.1, 2.2, or 2.3) in most browsers (Chrome, FF, and Safari) when I tested in OS X devices.
Below is user agent info of my macbook fyi:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.102 Safari/537.36

This happens because when the search box is out-focused, it hides the search suggestion layer before the hyperlink click event is triggered. A quick fix for the problem is to add a very short time delay (0.5 sec) when the search suggestion layer is show or hide.
In the attached file, I added two input boxes that show/hide an overlay when they are focused/unfocused. The google link in the overlay doesn't work in the first example but it does in the second example where I added setTimeout value 500.
Can it be fixed in the next release?

Best,
Sunny
focus_ setTimeout.html

Nathanael

Jun 8, 2016, 5:28:46 AM6/8/16
to ICA-AtoM Users

Hi

We keep having this problem when viewing our AtoM site in Chrome on Windows PCs, so I don't think it is just Macintosh.

Best wishes,

Nathanael

Dan Gillean

Jun 8, 2016, 7:13:39 PM6/8/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi all,

Sunny thanks for the useful report! We've asked our developers to look into this a bit further.

One useful thing that will definitely be included in the upcoming 2.3 release - keyboard navigation support for the dropdown select menu in the search box. I'm hoping this means that the overall implementation has been tweaked a bit, and the bug might be resolved. I've always found this issue to be intermittent at best for us, which in the past has made it difficult to isolate and reproduce enough to resolve. You've given us some good leads, though Nathanael's feedback suggests it might not just be OS X - though the solution might work regardless. We'll let you know if we find anything further! In the meantime, I'm hoping that the changes in 2.3 will at the very least give users an easier way to select items in the dropdown - and hopefully will resolve the click behavior as well?

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

juliet...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2017, 10:29:51 PM10/10/17
to AtoM Users
Dear Dan

We have just upgraded to 2.4 and this is still an issue for us. We have never been able to click on the auto suggestions, can navigate with the down arrows fine.

This is using Windows 8.1 enterprise  Chrome Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit). and  FF 53.0.2 (32-bit)

Any new information on this topic?

Thanks Juliet

Dan Gillean

Oct 11, 2017, 11:18:50 AM10/11/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Juliet,

Is your AtoM site publicly accessible? If so, will you send me a link so I can try testing? I'm using Windows 10 Home and Chrome 61, but I can perhaps try using something like BrowserStack to recreate your exact testing environment if I'm unable to reproduce it myself.

I'll do a bit more local testing as well.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Juliet Beale

Oct 11, 2017, 6:56:04 PM10/11/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan - we have just recently gone live https://sparc.utas.edu.au/

Dan Gillean

Oct 12, 2017, 6:56:01 PM10/12/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Juliet,

Thanks for sharing the link. I can see what you mean! I find that it won't work the first time, but if I try again I can usually get it to work. I have no idea why this is occurring. Can you tell us more about your particular AtoM instance? Such as:
  • This appears to be AtoM 2.4. Can you give me the full version number listed in Admin > Settings?
  • Did you follow our recommended installation instructions? If so, are you using Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04? If not, what have you changed?
  • What version of PHP are you using?
  • I see you have a custom theme. Were changes made to the default arDominionPlugin for this, or was a new theme plugin created?
On this last point, I also noticed a weird display issue in the Advanced search panel:

This field should not be so long! I am wondering if perhaps both issues stem from the custom theme?

I'm not yet sure if this will fix either issue, but perhaps your team can try the following - rebuilding the CSS. From AtoM's root directory, try running the following:
  • make -C plugins/arDominionPlugin
​If your theme is its own plugin, try the same command there, but swap in the name of your custom theme plugin, e.g.:
  • make -C plugins/yourThemePluginNameHere
After this, you should try restarting PHP-FPM, and clear the application cache. Restarting PHP-FPM depends on what version of Ubuntu and PHP you have installed.

If you're using Ubuntu 14.04 with PHP 5.x, try:
  • sudo service php5-fpm restart
For Ubuntu 16.04 with PHP7.0, try:
  • sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm
You can clear the application cache with the following command:
  • php symfony cc
Let me know if that makes any difference to either issue. In the meantime, I'll try to get a developer's take on this. We've currently got a lot of work and several developers away, so please be patient.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

stephani...@gaiaresources.com.au

Oct 16, 2017, 4:39:13 AM10/16/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

We developed the theme and installed AtoM for UTas. To answer your questions:
  • The full version is 2.4.0 - 156
  • We followed your (very detailed and helpful) installation instructions exactly on Ubuntu 16.04. We are using MySQL 5.7
  • PHP 7.0
  • We created the theme as a copy of the arDominionPlugin.
Thanks for pointing out the issue with the Advanced Search panel. We have corrected the styles for those elements, but I have still seen the search suggestions links not working.

Please let us know if we can provide any further information or assistance on this issue.

Dan Gillean

Oct 27, 2017, 12:06:31 PM10/27/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello Stephanie and Juliet,

My apologies for the long delay on this. I've managed to reproduce this locally now. There was an old ticket opened alongside the earlier posts in this thread, but at the time we were unable to consistently reproduce the issue, and consequently couldn't address it. I've updated the ticket with new information, here:
I've also added this bug ticket to an internal document we maintain of user reported bugs, for review as we begin to prepare the next release - hopefully we can address it then. If you would like it addressed sooner, feel free to send us a pull request, or contact me off-list if you would like to explore the possibility of sponsoring an immediate fix from Artefactual.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Juliet Beale

Oct 31, 2017, 10:20:57 PM10/31/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan

Thanks for your work on this - at this stage we will wait for the next release and see if that works, and will give some info to our users so they don't keep trying to click on the autosuggests.

Thanks again Juliet