Blank mystery authority

nctrdigit...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2017, 11:03:33 AM10/31/17
to AtoM Users
Hi there,

Having an interesting issue in which an authority with absolutely no information or description seems to exist and because of this lack of information, I can't seem to even select it, never mind delete it. I'm not entirely sure how this happened - we were having some issues with the bar separator (we were putting [space][bar][space] rather than just [bar]), so maybe that caused it, I don't know. At any rate, we need to delete it, so advice on how to go about that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jarad

Dan Gillean

Oct 31, 2017, 5:31:32 PM10/31/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Jarad,

Before we jump into SQL queries to try resolving this (which can get complicated, since the information in an authority record is spread across several tables, as I understand), have you tried reindexing your site? It's possible the record is just an artifact in the search index, which is why you can't click on it. See:
You may also want to try regenerating the slugs. If the record has no slug, then this could prevent you from clicking on it as well.
If neither of those tasks work, I will see if one of our developers has further suggestions for you. In the meantime, can you provide us with more information about your installation environment? I recall from other threads that you are working with AtoM 2.4... did you install using Ubuntu and Nginx as as we recommend in our installation instructions? If so, which version of PHP and Ubuntu are you using? If not, what changes have you made?

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

nctrdigit...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2017, 10:21:34 AM11/6/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

As suggested, I tried both regenerating slugs and re-indexing, but the mystery authority is still there. I did find that I was able to add it to the clipboard and export a CSV file for it. All the info it contained was the culture. Not sure if that helps to disambiguate the problem.  If the MySQL fix is too complicated, then it's probably not worth it. We're currently just using a test instance that will be replaced when we move into production. Thanks all the same.

I do see in the documentation that sometimes a slug can be missed due to front end timeout and that made me think, is there a way to lengthen the timeout duration? Even ignoring the slug issue (which I gather can be avoided by using the terminal to upload), there have been times when a description being written was lost because it took longer to write than X minutes before being timed out. Can this be extended?

Thanks again,
Jarad

Dan Gillean

Nov 6, 2017, 12:18:37 PM11/6/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Jarad,

There are ways to change the execution timeout limits, but there are many variables and places you'd have to check and experiment with. On the server side, this thread should help you get started:
Please see this post for further suggestions, but also some warnings on why we think resolving these kind of issues this way is not ideal, and can introduce further risk:
That said, some of the timeout limits are part of your browser. There are ways to change this - you'll have to do some web searching to find information on your particular browser. Once again, this has a risk of exhausting available resources like memory or CPU on your local computer, however, so be careful.

If you do want to try to track down and delete the mystery authority record via SQL, which might be a good exercise for future maintenance (especially if this is a test instance at present, so the risk of playing around is lower), I'd strongly recommend installing a GUI of some kind, such as MySQL Workbench or PHPMyAdmin. If you have the slug, you might be able to use that to search in Workbench and find (and possibly even cascade delete) the related rows. You might also find the following resources useful:
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.