Possible to create links which open in a new tab?

dgm...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2019, 3:41:13 PM10/23/19
to AtoM Users
I have been looking at the documentation for hyperlinks (https://www.accesstomemory.org/fr/docs/2.5/user-manual/add-edit-content/formatting/#formatting-links) and searched the web and this group but I could not find an answer to my question.

Is it possible to make the links to external sites open in a new tab? I don't like it that users leave AtoM when they click an external hyperlink in a description.

Thanks a for any ideas.

Daniel

Dan Gillean

Oct 23, 2019, 4:10:45 PM10/23/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately, this is not something that is supported in Markdown, or in the Parsedown library we are using in AtoM to implement Markdown support.

For static pages, the solution would be just to use HTML, like so:
If you are feeling adventurous and have some familiarity with development (or access to developers and system admins), I did find this Parsedown plugin, which includes support for making links open in new tabs:
Help with installing and configuring this in AtoM is beyond the level of support we can provide via the forum - we haven't tried this ourselves, so if you do, please let us know how it goes!

I got to that plugin from this page, which also includes another code snippet someone else has shared about how they extended Parsedown. This could potentially be a second option to explore:
Finally, I also found a JavaScript solution, here - so this might be something that could be added to AtoM without touching Parsedown? Not sure - again, you'd have to experiment:

Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

dgm...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2019, 1:21:31 AM10/24/19
to AtoM Users
Cool, thanks a lot, Dan. In my case, it was for the content of the text fields and your suggestions should be workable.  There is always a solution for everything in AtoM.  :D

Daniel