Installing atom as virtual appliance

Nathanael

Jun 5, 2013, 9:03:59 a.m.2013-06-05
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi
When I download ica-atom-vmserver-1.2.0.tgz from https://www.ica-atom.org/doc/ICA-AtoM_virtual_appliance and unzip it I just get a file called ica-atom-vmserver-1.2.0 which I can't open, rather than the files described on the wiki page. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Nathanael

Jessica Bushey

Jun 5, 2013, 12:05:44 p.m.2013-06-05
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathanael,

Just to double check, you downloaded a Sun VirtualBox first?
Then you downloaded the vmserver appliance for ICA-AtoM, and that is where you are having trouble?

Best,
Jessica

---
Jessica Bushey, MAS
ICA-AtoM Product Manager
Systems Analyst
jes...@artefactual.com

Artefactual Systems Inc.
www.artefactual.com

nathana...@yahoo.co.uk

Jun 7, 2013, 5:14:57 a.m.2013-06-07
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, nathana...@yahoo.co.uk
Yes, that's right

Dan Gillean

Jun 7, 2013, 2:30:37 p.m.2013-06-07
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

The ica-atom-vmserver-1.2.0 should be a directory. What OS are you using? What tool are you using to unpack the tarball?

It sounds to me as if you've managed to decompress the tarball, but it hasn't been fully untarred/unzipped yet. I've downloaded the appliance myself to test it out, and found the same behaviour as you - the solution for me was simply to unzip the resulting file again.

I am a Windows user at home, and I use an open source utility called PeaZip to manage compressed files. (http://peazip.sourceforge.net/).

Using this, I simply right clicked on the .tgz-1 file, and used PeaZip to "open as archive" - it then unzipped the tgz-1 file for me, and I get the expected folder. From there, you should be able to follow the steps on our website, located here: https://www.ica-atom.org/doc/Virtual_appliance

Hope that helps!

Best,

Dan Gillean
Atom Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056

Yes, that's right

Dan Gillean

Jun 7, 2013, 2:33:54 p.m.2013-06-07
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Nathanael,

One more point - your question has brought it to my attention that we don't currently have a virtual appliance for our current 1.3.1 release available  on the Virtual appliance page.

Our developers are preparing one, and it will be posted on that page soon - which will give you the latest release.

See the 1.3.1 release notes here: https://www.ica-atom.org/doc/Release_1.3.1

Thanks for helping us catch that!

Dan Gillean
Atom Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056

nathana...@yahoo.co.uk

Jun 10, 2013, 6:33:50 a.m.2013-06-10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I tried PeaZip and managed to unzip it. The other tools I was using were WinRAR and BitZipper, neither of which seemed to recognise the file created after the initial unzipping as something that can be unzipped again.

Thanks!

Nathanael

Dan Gillean

Jun 10, 2013, 12:33:03 p.m.2013-06-10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear it worked out! I'll make a note to myself to add this tool as a suggestion in our documentation for users who encounter a similar problem, and provide a link to this thread.

Let us know how the rest of the install process goes!

Dan Gillean
Atom Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056

JBushey, ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Jun 10, 2013, 12:51:38 p.m.2013-06-10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I have updated our wiki download page with a link to this discussion and a link to PeaZip.
Here is the updated page: https://www.ica-atom.org/doc/Virtual_appliance#Download_vmserver_appliance

Thanks,
Jessica

nathana...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 10, 2013, 8:06:12 a.m.2013-07-10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi

You said the 1.3.1 release would be made available as a virtual appliance. Do you know anything more about when this might happen? I'd like to have a look at it.

Thanks

Nathanael

Dan Gillean

Jul 10, 2013, 5:40:49 p.m.2013-07-10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathanael,

We have uploaded the 1.3.1 virtual appliance to the wiki - you can find it, along with instructions for installing it using Oracle's VirtualBox, here: https://www.ica-atom.org/doc/Virtual_appliance#Download_vmserver_appliance

Thanks for your patience, and for checking back in!

Dan Gillean
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056

nathana...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 11, 2013, 7:02:59 a.m.2013-07-11
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Unfortunately the link takes you to a '404 Not found' page, due to a typo in the link address:

http://www.ica-atom.org/dowload/ica-atom-1.3.1-VMDK.tbz

I changed 'dowload' to 'download' and managed to download the file!

nathana...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 11, 2013, 11:53:56 a.m.2013-07-11
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, nathana...@yahoo.co.uk
Hi

I'm finding that when I try to start the machine, it gets stuck at 'Waiting for network configuration', and then comes up with 'Host only adapter not configured, please set up before continuing. In order to access Atom, you must enable the host only adapter in the network adapters'.

I had previously ticked 'enable network adapter' and selected 'host only adapter' in the settings, and I've tried everything in the 'Troubleshooting the Host Only Network Adapter' section of the wiki page. Can anyone help?

Nathanael

Dan Gillean

Jul 11, 2013, 12:52:21 p.m.2013-07-11
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathanael,

If you've followed the troubleshooting instructions already without success, I am going to have one of our developers take a look at the Virtual appliance again, and potentially generate a new one. I encountered similar problems and added the troubleshooting instructions, but it resolved the problem for me. If you are experiencing the same issue but the instructions are not helping, I want to ensure that there is nothing about the appliance itself that is leading to this issue. Hopefully I will have some updates for you soon - and/or a new tbz package.

Thanks for pointing out the link typo!

More to follow soon,

Dan Gillean
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056

JBushey, ICA-AtoM Product Manager

Jul 12, 2013, 8:10:09 p.m.2013-07-12
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathanael,

My name is Jessica Bushey, and I am one of the ICA-AtoM Product Managers. I just ran through the entire process of installing ICA-AtoM 1.3.1 and got the same result as you... I couldn't enable the host only adapter in the network adapters. I was installing into a Virtual Box on a Mac. I also performed the troubleshooting measures, but without any resolution. I will communicate this with our development team and see if they can come up with a fix or a new tbz package.

Apologies,
Jessica

burkhar...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2013, 10:11:51 a.m.2013-12-18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jessica Bushey,
i just ran into the same result mentioned by nathanael and you. are there any proceedings in the matter?

greetings,
burkhard pranke

Jessica Bushey

Dec 18, 2013, 12:06:48 p.m.2013-12-18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Burkhard,

An alternative approach is to run AtoM using Vagrant.
There are instructions for Linux, Mac and Windows here on our site: https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.0/admin-manual/installation/vagrant/#installation-vagrant.

This is not intended for production, but it will allow you to try AtoM and its full functionality, unlike the demo site, which restricts import and upload.

Regards,
Jessica

---
Jessica Bushey, MAS