Can AtoM import PREMIS:RIGHTS

Karl Goetz

Jan 31, 2019, 12:10:12 AM1/31/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I’m pretty sure I’ve established the answer to this is ‘no’ but I’m hoping someone can prove me wrong!

Can AtoM import PREMIS:RIGHTS fields from an Archivematica generated METS file?

The data is making it in to the mets file so its not an archivematica problem. I’ve been searching around and haven’t found anything which confirms atom does support those values - only things which confirm it doesn’t or aren’t clear.

Quite a few (hundreds) of the items we’re hoping to upload via archivematica will need to have their access restricted - it will be substantially easier if we don’t have to round trip everything post upload.

karl.

--
Karl Goetz,  Senior Library Officer (Library Systems)
University of Tasmania, Private Bag 25, Hobart 7001

Dan Gillean

Jan 31, 2019, 10:20:03 AM1/31/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Karl,

Unfortunately, you got it right on the first go - at this time, there is no way to import PREMIS Rights statements into AtoM, or make bulk edits (unless perhaps you are very confident with SQL).

This is one of the challenges of the maintenance models we've currently ended up with for AtoM and Archivematica (described further in this wiki page) - there are many places where we see great possibility in enhancing the integration between AtoM and Archivematica, but the work required to implement these integrations and enhancements is generally not trivial. That is to say, we depend on our community code contributions and sponsored projects to add new features in both projects, and thus far, enhancing the integration between the two has not been prioritized by those institutions sponsoring new features or submitting pull requests.

If your institution might be interested in sponsoring PREMIS Rights integration between Archivematica and AtoM, feel free to contact me off list, and we can discuss requirements and development estimates.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Karl Goetz

Jan 31, 2019, 4:34:45 PM1/31/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,
Thanks for confirming that.

I will contact the relevant project/s and see if its important enough to them that we should request a cost estimate - I will contact you directly if things move that far.

Thanks,
Karl.

romain guedj

Feb 18, 2021, 5:29:57 AM2/18/21
to AtoM Users
Hi All,

I am wondering if importation of PREMIS rights from rights.csv file into Atom has been implemented in the last Atom version 2.7 ?

Thanks.
Romain

Dan Gillean

Feb 22, 2021, 12:10:31 PM2/22/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Romain,

Unfortunately, the answer so far is unchanged in planned AtoM 2.7 release - support for importing rights metadata from Archivematica or any other source is not currently on our development roadmap.

Currently the AtoM project relies on community support for major enhancements and feature development - either in the form of community code contributions to the public project, or via sponsored development. To learn more about how we develop and maintain AtoM, see:
If your institution might be interested in sponsoring this integration, please feel free to send an email to in...@artefactual.com, and our team can discuss your requirements and prepare estimates for you.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

romain guedj

Mar 9, 2021, 7:40:27 AM3/9/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your answer.

Regards,
Romain

Raphael Freire

Jun 30, 2021, 11:46:45 AM6/30/21
to AtoM Users
The feature "Add PREMIS rights CSV import" (https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/4704) was removed? I can't find it. Is there any alternative to bulk import rights for objects?

Dan Gillean

Jul 1, 2021, 9:28:39 AM7/1/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Raphael,

Unfortunately, this is not currently supported in AtoM. As for that issue ticket (#4704): we were working on developing this for a client's specific needs, and the intention back in 2013 had been to do further work on the task (to make it something more generally usable, performant, and maintainable) and then include it in the ICA-AtoM 1.4 release. Instead, v1.3.2 was the last official ICA-AtoM release as we shifted our focus to version 2.0, and the rough initial version of the import task was never finalized, so it was not included in AtoM 2.x.

AtoM's import code has changed significantly since 2013, and I imagine any previous code would still need to be basically rewritten to work in later versions of AtoM, so we would most likely develop the feature from scratch if we were to implement it today.

Regards,

We did develop a

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager