Problems to add access points

Thalissa Velter

Jun 28, 2021, 3:47:46 PM6/28/21
to AtoM Users
Good afternoon, after the update of AtoM we can´t add access points and we don´t know what to do about it.
The place to add access points appears like the attached file (in blank). Before the uptdate it was possible, how it´s possible to see at the second attached file.

Regards,

Acces point after update.png
Acces point before update.png

Dan Gillean

Jun 29, 2021, 10:05:00 AM6/29/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello Thalissa,

At a glance, it looks to me like the base Dominion theme might need to be recompiled. I will recommend a few maintenance tasks below that hopefully should help resolve this issue.

The first is to try to recompile the CSS used to style the user interface elements. In our downloadable tarballs, the CSS is typically precompiled (meaning you don't need to do anything during installation to compile it the first time), so we'll have to install a few dependencies to be able to run the command to recompile it. You can see these instructions in the Option 2 section of our installation instructions (install from our code repository).

First we'll install the necessary dependencies.

If you don't have curl installed, start with that:
  • sudo apt install curl
Then the dependencies in the AtoM documentation needed for lessc:
Now we can run the command to recompile the base theme:
  • sudo make -C /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionPlugin
If you have a custom theme plugin installed, be sure to run the same command for your custom theme - only swap arDominionPlugin with the name of your custom theme plugin as shown in Admin > Themes.

Now let's run a few maintenance tasks. The following should all be run from AtoM's root installation directory - this is typically /usr/share/nginx/atom if you have followed our recommended installation instructions.

If the commands won't run and you've confirmed you are in the right directory, try running them as the www-data user - this is the user to whom we assign all filesystem rights when installing and configuring AtoM. To do so, simply precede the commands below with sudo -u www-data.

Clear the application cache
Restart PHP-FPM
If you have memcached installed, it is good to clear that cache as well. This command should not have any ill effects if you don't have memcached installed, so you can always try it out:
Finally, don't forget that your web browser has its own cache as well! I recommend that you either clear your web browser cache, or else test in a private / incognito browser window, where the browser cache is typically disabled by default.

Let us know if this resolves the issue!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Thalissa Velter

Jun 29, 2021, 11:46:31 AM6/29/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan!

Thanks a lot for your answer. I´m going to inform all of this for my IT staff.

Thanks.

Silvana Siqueira

Aug 6, 2021, 10:18:00 AM8/6/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan.

I did step-by-step what you wrote to Thalissa, but the recompile didn´t work.

Below follows the error returned:

silvana@atomserver:/opt/atom$ sudo make -C /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionPlugin
make: Entering directory '/usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionPlugin'
Running LESS compiler...
lessc --compress --relative-urls css/main.less > css/main.css
(node:31983) [DEP0026] DeprecationWarning: util.print is deprecated. Use console.log instead.
make: Leaving directory '/usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionPlugin'

And the versions installed:

silvana@atomserver:/opt/atom$ lessc -v
lessc 1.6.3 (LESS Compiler) [JavaScript]

silvana@atomserver  :/opt/atom$ nodejs -v
v8.10.0

silvana@atomserver  :/opt/atom$ npm --version
3.5.2

I hope you help us.

Regards,
Silvana

Dan Gillean

Aug 9, 2021, 11:13:26 AM8/9/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Silvana,

The deprecation warnings can be ignored for now - the CSS recompile still completed as expected. However, it sounds like this has not resolved the issue.

In general, it would be helpful to know more about the system. For example:
  • What version are you upgrading from, and to? (e.g. from 2.4.1 to 2.6.4, etc)
  • What is the full version number shown in Admin > Settings? What is the default installation culture of your AtoM instance?
  • Have you followed the recommended installation instructions for your version (e.g. for 2.6, using Ubuntu 18.04, PHP 7.2, MySQL 8.0, Elasticsearch 5.6, Nginx, etc). If no, what have you changed?
  • Do you have any custom plugins (including a custom theme), or any other code changes locally?
  • Are you sure you followed ALL steps in the upgrading guide - including dropping and recreating the database before loading your sqldump, running the upgrade task, and restarting services after?
  • Have you ensured that the language of your content (and your access points) has been added to AtoM via Admin > Settings > i18n languages?
In many cases, we see upgrade errors because a critical step in the upgrade process was forgotten, or else because different versions of the dependencies have ben used, which are not in fact compatible with that version of AtoM (for example, trying to use MySQL 5.7 in AtoM 2.6 will cause problems). In some cases, it is a custom theme that is interfering - if this is the case, try switching to the default Dominion theme to see if it resolves the issue, so we can confirm what is happening.

Otherwise, hopefully with a bit more information about your installation we can provide further suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Silvana Siqueira

Aug 10, 2021, 2:02:42 PM8/10/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan.

I answered your questions below:

What version are you upgrading from, and to? (e.g. from 2.4.1 to 2.6.4, etc)

-> Yes, we upgrading from 2.5.

-> Installed version: 2.6.4 - 184. We follow the 2.6 upgrade instructions (https://www.accesstomemory.org/pt-br/docs/2.6/admin-manual/installation/upgrading/#installation-upgrading)

Have you followed the recommended installation instructions for your version (e.g. for 2.6, using Ubuntu 18.04, PHP 7.2, MySQL 8.0, Elasticsearch 5.6, Nginx, etc). If no, what have you changed?

->Yes, we followed the official instructions:
Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (cli) (built: Jul 5 2021 17:41:32) ( NTS )
Server version: 8.0.23 MySQL Community Server - GPL
elasticsearch/stable,now 5.6.16 all [installed]
nginx/bionic-updates,bionic-security,now 1.14.0-0ubuntu1.9 all [installed]

Do you have any custom plugins (including a custom theme), or any other code changes locally?

-> Yes, only one custom theme.

Are you sure you followed ALL steps in the upgrading guide - including dropping and recreating the database before loading your sqldump, running the upgrade task, and restarting services after?

-> The previous database was MySql 5.6. We create a new database in MySQL 8.0

Have you ensured that the language of your content (and your access points) has been added to AtoM via Admin > Settings > i18n languages?

-> Yes, we add pt_BR language on settings

Regards,
Silvana

Dan Gillean

Aug 10, 2021, 4:01:53 PM8/10/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thank you for the information, Silvana!

Based on this information, there are two main areas I would suggest reviewing.

First, just a note about this:

Are you sure you followed ALL steps in the upgrading guide - including dropping and recreating the database before loading your sqldump, running the upgrade task, and restarting services after?
-> The previous database was MySql 5.6. We create a new database in MySQL 8.0

Understood. However, if you are loading a sqldump from an older installation (like 2.5) into a new 2.6 installation it is still a critical part of the upgrade process to drop and recreate the database before loading your dump, as outlined in Step 4 here:
If you did not do this step, it has been known to cause issues later on.

The second area of investigation would be the custom theme. There are two things to check here.

First, make sure you reviewed and completed any necessary upgrade steps for custom themes, as described here:
Second, check if your theme has any custom module or template overrides in it that might be affecting the description edit page. Also consider if there are any other code customizations. Looking at the screenshots you provided, the formatting of the access point autocomplete fields does not look right, even in the "Before" screenshot - so it's possible something has customized these layouts that worked in 2.5, but will no longer work in 2.6.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Silvana Siqueira

Aug 27, 2021, 3:55:49 PM8/27/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan.

I was checking out the documentation and I downloaded atom by  OPTION 1: DOWNLOAD THE TARBALL, not by  OPTION 2: CHECK OUT THE CODE FROM OUR GIT REPOSITORY, which need  to compile the CSS files.

I think your solution is for anyone who installed atom by option 2, isn´t it?

The option 2 is better than 1 to install atom?

Cheers,

Silvana

rakkitha samaraweera

Aug 27, 2021, 11:18:14 PM8/27/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
We also had such an experience when we update to ATOM 2.6.
 Clear the cash and try again

Thank you.

Dan Gillean

Aug 30, 2021, 1:53:15 PM8/30/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Silvana,

In the tarball, we have precompiled the CSS, so there is generally no need to run those make commands during installation, and we do not provide the instructions on how to do so with option 1. However, when there are CSS / display issues, it can still be useful to try recompiling the base theme (and any custom theme you might have), to see if this resolves the issue. This works regardless of install type, but requires tarball installers to first install the dependencies.

The instructions I gave in my previous post include all the steps to first install the dependencies, and then run the make command. So they will walk you through the whole process, and should still work even if you installed from the tarball.

As for which option for installation is "better" - they are pretty much identical in the end result, except for one small advantage for those who use option 2. Essentially, in most cases Option 2 will allow you to upgrade to minor versions (e.g. from 2.6.3 to 2.6.4) in place, without having to install a new version and migrate you data.

This is because we typically try to avoid adding any database schema changes or new dependencies in minor versions. Consequently, to upgrade to a minor version you can generally just run a git pull --rebase against the AtoM public code repository used during installation, restart services, clear the cache, and perhaps rebuild the theme CSS (in case any user interface elements have changed), and be done!

So: for security patches, translation updates, and minor bug fixes, installing with Option 2 can be an easier way to keep your installation up to date.

However, some things to keep in mind:

First, do NOT try this approach when upgrading major versions, such as from 2.5 to 2.6. Major versions typically include both database schema changes, and often changes in underlying dependencies - for example, moving from MySQL 5.7 to MySQL 8.0; from PHP 7.0 to 7.2, from an older Ubuntu LTS release to a newer one, etc.

Second, you should ALWAYS read the release notes before attempting to upgrade in place, even for minor versions. We have made exceptions to our rules in the past - for example, release 2.6.3 included a new library to replace the previous Flash-based multi-uploader. Normally we would wait and release this in the next major version, but since 2.7 was still under development and not likely to be ready soon, we decided to release it immediately. I'm not sure if the upgrade would succeed if you just tried doing it in place for this release, as I suggested above.

----

Finally, see the comment added by Rakkitha in the last post - recompiling the CSS may not be the solution you need! You might want to try clearing the application cache, restarting PHP-FPM, and clearing your web browser cache to see if that resolves any issues.
Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager