Taxonomies: adding languages

Martin Bovay

Nov 22, 2021, 4:16:05 AM11/22/21
to AtoM Users
Hi All,

With my colleagues we want to add missing languages but don't know how to proceed because the option isn't available in the taxonomies (?): could you help us?

I hope that this question has not been asked too many times before and I thank you in advance,

Martin

Dan Gillean

Nov 22, 2021, 9:49:38 AM11/22/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Martin,

Can you please clarify what you mean? Do you mean user interface languages, as you can set in Admin > Settings > i18n languages?

If yes, then unfortunately it's not currently possible to add additional languages at this time. AtoM gets its multilingual support from the underlying Symfony 1.x PHP framework that the application was originally built with. As such, the list of supported languages is part of the Symfony framework and not something we can easily resolve. We have a full list of supported languages and their corresponding codes here:
If you mean adding translations to existing taxonomy terms, you can do this by:
  • First, navigating to Admin > Settings > i18n languages, and making sure that the language you want to use for translation is added
  • If you add a new language via settings, then you will need to reindex the site first
  • Navigate to the term you want to translate (Manage > Taxonomies; find the taxonomy; browse the terms, and go to the view page for the selected term)
  • Flip the user interface to your desired translation language using the Language menu
  • Enter edit mode - the original term name will be shown in a yellow box above the edit field. You can add your translation and then save. Repeat as necessary for any other translation languages.
Hope this helps - if you mean something else entirely, please let me know!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Martin Bovay

Nov 23, 2021, 3:13:10 AM11/23/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your quick reply and please excuse me if my question was not clear, I am not an IT myself. What we want to do is to be able to add languages to the "Material language" field (under "Access conditions and area of use") and if I'm not mistaken, it is not possible to do it from "Manage--> Taxonomies": do you have any advice?

I wish you a good day,

Martin

Dan Gillean

Nov 23, 2021, 8:05:11 AM11/23/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Ah, I see, thank you for clarifying, Martin.

Unfortunately, the language and language of description fields come from the same controlled list provided by the Symfony framework - meaning they are not in a user-editable taxonomy and there is no easy way for us to add additional languages.

I know it's not ideal, but as a workaround perhaps you can use the free-text "Language and script notes" (ISAD 3.4.3) field as a way of adding information about the language of the material?

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Martin Bovay

Dec 2, 2021, 2:40:24 AM12/2/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Sorry for my late answer: I think we'll use the field "Language and script notes" as you suggest, it seems to be the best solution...

Have a nice day,

Martin