Problem running AtoM in vagrant - failure to locate the powershell executable

Creighton Barrett

Feb 13, 2018, 4:27:30 PM2/13/18
to AtoM Users
Hello,

I am trying to get AtoM running in vagrant. I got as far as the vagrant up command but then receive this error:

Failed to locate the powershell executable on the available PATH. Please ensure powershell is installed and available on the local PATH, then run the command again.

I don't know why vagrant is looking PowerShell, but I have it installed. I've tried to modify the PATH through the Advanced System Settings - Environment Variables window but can't seem to get it right.

I'm running Vagrant 2.0.2 in Windows 7. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Creighton

Dan Gillean

Feb 13, 2018, 5:21:30 PM2/13/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Creighton,

Strange! I've been using the Vagrant box on Windows machines as long as we have been offering our Vagrant box, and I've never seen this. When you ran the original commands, were you using cmd on your computer, or the Windows PowerShell? If the latter, I might suggest starting over with the default command terminal - PowerShell adds all kinds of extra layers of abstraction on top that could be interfering. However, I'm assuming the former.

In light of that, I did a quick search for this issue online, and came up with the following - seems that Windows 7 and certain versions of Vagrant have a known issue:
Scrolling through the comments, it looks like there are at least 3 possible workarounds:
  • Downgrade your Vagrant version - sounds like v1.9.6 worked for people. However, I don't think this is a great solution.
  • Upgrade your PowerShell version  - sounds like once people were running PowerShell 5, this ceased to be an issue
  • Use the task manager to kill powershell.exe twice in a row - apparently this allowed Vagrant to continue.
I didn't read closely, just scanned - you may want to do some more digging and close reading and link following on your own.

I don't think it's related to this issue, but while I'm here I thought I'd mention this in case it helps at some point: one thing to check as a Windows user - make sure that the Virtualbox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver option is enabled in your network adapter settings. I've posted tips on how to check this in the forum previously, here:

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Creighton Barrett

Feb 16, 2018, 12:05:46 PM2/16/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

It's weird! Yes, I am working in cmd. Not sure why PowerShell is even relevant to vagrant?

I was also poking around online and found a few posts related to problems in Windows 7. Different options to try, I was just wondered if anyone in the AtoM community had encountered this before!

I also don't want to rollback to an older version of Vagrant. So I updated Powershell and now get a new error when I run the vagrant up command:

The version of powershell currently installed on this host is less than
the required minimum version. Please upgrade the installed version of
powershell to the minimum required version and run the command again.

  Installed version: N/A
  Minimum required version: 3

Something about the path again. Back to fiddling around, I will update when I find a solution!

Thanks,
Creighton

Dan Gillean

Feb 16, 2018, 12:30:25 PM2/16/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Creighton,

Hmmmm, that's unfortunate. Did you restart your computer after installing the PowerShell upgrade? I found the following guide, and it looks like there are other dependencies to check as well - such as ensure that your version of the .NET framework is updated as well, for example. You might also need to ensure that the Windows Management Framework is updated to 5.1 as well - I can't tell at a glance if this is only a requirement for Windows Server installations, or for Win7 home installations as well. In any case, if this is useful, see:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056