L Snider

Mar 25, 2015, 3:14:53 PM3/25/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has put a different video player into their AtoM installation, so that the video starts right in the page itself (and you don't click a link to go to another page)?

Cheers

Lisa

Dan Gillean

Mar 25, 2015, 5:29:17 PM3/25/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa,

I can't speak to adding a different video player to AtoM, but I did want to clarify that right now videos can play directly in the page itself. Here's a screenshot of a video playing in AtoM from our demo site, here: http://demo.accesstomemory.org/stevens-family-home-movie

The user can use the player's full-screen button to get in and out of full-screen without opening another tab.

If you are not seeing this functionality in your AtoM instance, I might suggest that you check the permissions in your AtoM instance for reference display copies? I'm not sure what else could be causing that issue.

I do remain curious about Lisa's original question though! Has anyone else integrated a different player with AtoM?

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

L Snider

Mar 25, 2015, 5:44:27 PM3/25/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thanks so much. Yes, I had seen this one and it works well. However,  I need a different viewer in there and was just wondering if anyone had done it before.

Cheers

Lisa

Creighton Barrett

Mar 25, 2015, 5:58:50 PM3/25/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
We haven't done anything about this, but have had some conversations about how it would be nice to be able to embed youtube videos and have them work like digital objects. We can't load videos into our site for a couple reasons, but have a youtube channel that works well for the moment. Has anyone tinkered with this before?

Creighton

Sangeeta K

Aug 18, 2017, 3:43:15 AM8/18/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Lisa,

May be you might have already got the solution. Just answering so that all community memebers can benefit.
I installed ffmpeg on the server and regenerated derivatives for digital objects. Post re-indexing, I am able to view videos on the atom page itself.
Environment details:
OS: redhat 7
Atom: 2.3.1

Dan Gillean

Aug 18, 2017, 10:44:07 AM8/18/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi all,

This is definitely a recurring topic of interest in the AtoM community, and one which we hope might eventually gain enough support to find a community sponsor for further development work.

Looking back over this old thread, one of the other aspects that can inhibit display and playback currently is when Flash is either not installed or disabled in the web browser, which more browsers are slowly beginning to implement as the default, since Flash is not as secure.

We would like to replace the current digital object viewer with one that uses HTML5 by default, perhaps with some graceful fallback support for Flash. The idea has come up in several older threads, and some of the options mentioned are the Internet Archive BookReader, Diva.js, the  IIIF Image Server, and/or the Universal Viewer. There are likely other great options, but if development should ever proceed in this area, we would want something that a) supports HTML5 by default, and b) can act as a compound digital object viewer.

Here are a couple of older related threads:

In terms of Creighton's comment about YouTube, this would likely require a different approach altogether - the direct ability to embed a YouTube video. Right now AtoM requires a URL that ends in the file extension to be able to link to an external digital object - this is often the equivalent of finding an image on the internet, right-clicking and selecting "View image", and then using that URL. YouTube and related services go out of their way to obfuscate access to the source media object URL specifically so that people can't copy and download YouTube videos without permission. Regardless of the player in use, this would likely continue to be the case - but of course YouTube does make iframe snippets available, so there could be work done to point to a YouTube URL and have AtoM generate and display an embedded YouTube player. Once again, this would require further development to make possible.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

L Snider

Aug 18, 2017, 11:04:19 AM8/18/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing that with the group, sounds like the solution worked well for you.

I actually couldn't use an embedded player due to the fact that almost all of the embedded ones are not accessible for people with disabilities (that may finally change this yea/next year). In the end, I linked to videos that were hosted on our site and used a fully accessible HTML 5 player on that page. I also needed this because my videos were captioned, had text transcripts and audio description, again all needed for full accessibility and my player allowed me to do all of that easily, and I could also add sign language as well.

YouTube is possible as well, just to link to it, but its interface is still only about 85% accessible for people with different disabilities, and it becomes complex to do a text transcript and audio descriptions.

Cheers

Lisa

Dan Gillean

Aug 18, 2017, 11:12:13 AM8/18/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Lisa,

Another very important consideration - thanks for the reminder! Do you have recommendations of any open-source HTML5 video players we might consider in the future that are fully accessible?

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 6:14:53 AM UTC+11, Lisa Snider wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has put a different video player into their AtoM installation, so that the video starts right in the page itself (and you don't click a link to go to another page)?

Cheers

Lisa

L Snider

Aug 18, 2017, 11:47:55 AM8/18/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

There are a few today, the best one I have seen is AblePlayer:
https://ableplayer.github.io/ableplayer/

The examples are here for both audio and video:

Another good one (with different interface and features) is OzPlayer:

In AblePlayer, it goes to JWPlayer for older browser users, and it is 'okay' (and being improved all the time). Most people who are blind use Internet Explorer, due to the fact that the major screen reader manufacturers (people who are blind need a piece of software to read everything to them) still base on IE. Many screen reader users will use Chrome or Firefox, but not all by a long shot.

However, keep in mind that players, along with web pages, should be usable for people with different disabilities, not just visual ones...

Mobile is a whole other kettle of fish for all HTML 5 players I have seen, because the device takes over and uses its own player, so it over rides the HTML 5 player (not always, depends how things are done). When this is done, the cool features, such as integrated audio description and a rolling text transcript, are not available. I hope we can solve this issue at some point, because it is a pain...For the most part the device players are accessible, although I personally wouldn't say fully because in my view AblePlayer is fully accessible (I don't use the word fully often).

Of course, as usual, this information is current as of today!

Thanks!

Cheers

Lisa

Dan Gillean

Aug 18, 2017, 12:42:24 PM8/18/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thanks Lisa!

In trying to find a bit more information myself, I came across this amusing but helpful site:
I learned about AblePlayer there... but also about MediaElement.js, which  also seems to have great support for accessibility, and fallback behavior:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

L Snider

Aug 18, 2017, 1:02:41 PM8/18/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
 Hi Dan,

It is a good comparison, but doesn't take into account the features such as audio description, sign language and rolling transcripts...so in terms of the interface, that source is pretty good and looks up to date, which is nice. This part of the field literally changes by the day, and I know of changes coming to other similar products (just don't know when they will be out to the public), so that is why I always have to add the 'as of today this is current', as tomorrow we could be in a whole new ballgame (literally).

The chart I used to use is this one, far more detailed and specific to accessibility, although it hasn't been updated in a while so I use other lists to catch up:
http://kensgists.github.io/apt/
You can see here they haven't updated it yet for many products.

Cheers

Lisa

Dan Gillean

Aug 18, 2017, 4:12:13 PM8/18/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thanks for sharing this, Lisa! Even if it's not fully up-to-date on the latest video players, it really helps me better understand some of the criteria under consideration for full accessibility!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.