Re: [ica-atom-users] Default language randomly changes

Creighton Barrett

Mar 24, 2015, 12:25:55 PM3/24/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestions, Tim and Dan. Always appreciate the help!

On 23 March 2015 at 14:51, Dan Gillean <d...@artefactual.com> wrote:
Hi Creighton,

You could always try setting up a Google Webmaster Tools account, to better control which pages are indexed...

Here are some links:
I will try to see if the developers have any further suggestions for AtoM itself.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Hutchinson, Tim <tim.hut...@usask.ca> wrote:

Hi Creighton,

I guess that even if the languages are removed, the pages in those languages are still valid. So if they’ve been indexed already (and I found a few with a cache date of earlier this month), Google has no way to know they shouldn’t be there.

To put the genie back in the bottle, I wonder if you could figure out a redirect so that any pages with ?sf_culture=xx would redirect to the correct page. You’d also need to account for (at least) ;isaar

Tim

Tim Hutchinson
Head, University Archives & Special Collections
University Library, University of Saskatchewan

Tel: (306) 966-6028  Fax: (306) 966-6040

Email: tim.hut...@usask.ca

Jan 7, 2015, 11:51:19 AM1/7/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I noticed that the default language in our site randomly changed from English to Spanish, or possibly Portuguese. See the attached screenshots. We didn't change the language. I logged in to see what was going on and it was still changed. This morning, it was fine again.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,
Creighton
archivescatalogue_language.png
archivescatalogue_language2.png

Dan Gillean

Jan 7, 2015, 1:50:09 PM1/7/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Creighton,

Wow, I have certainly never seen that before!

Default installation culture settings are maintained in /apps/qubit/config/settings.yml (docs here: https://accesstomemory.org/docs/2.1/admin-manual/customization/config-files/#apps-qubit-config-settings-yml). This is also the file that maintains timezone settings, debugging settings, and the like.

I'm not sure what might lead to values changing, and so far, our devs don't have any ideas either! I would be curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this kind of issue before.

Has there been any recent changes in your installation environment? Server upgrades, PHP upgrades, etc?

Keep us posted about whether or not this happens again.

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Jesús García Crespo

Jan 8, 2015, 1:04:49 PM1/8/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
It's hard to guess. It could be the session storage that is not working properly (due to filesystem permissions issues?), making session-specific options like the user interface language to impact globally to all the users. In apps/qubit/config/factories.yml there is a section called "storage" that indicates the current session storage solution. As other factories, it can be assigned different options depending on the environment. You may want to look at the "prod" section if you are using index.php, or the "dev" section if you are using the qubit_dev.php. Remember that any change in the factories YAML file needs later to clear the cache and reload php5-fpm.

There are lots of storage solutions for the session factory (see vendor/symfony/lib/storage). sfSessionStorage should work for you. I guess I'd try first to see what's the value of session.save_path in your PHP settings and check if the path exists, it's a directory writable by www-data, etc...

Let us know how it goes!

Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com | +1.604.527.2056

Creighton Barrett

Jan 9, 2015, 10:31:26 AM1/9/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Dan and Jesús. We have been doing server maintenance and are working on some PHP scripts. Hadn't thought about that possibility, but I've forwarded your comments to our sys admin.

Creighton Barrett

Jan 9, 2015, 11:00:38 AM1/9/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hutchinson, Tim

Cookies?! Before this happened, I remember encountering a URL in google that had an appended culture statement. I thought it was odd, but I just removed the statement, reloaded the page, and everything was fine. Later, I went back to the homepage, and it appears my browser saved the settings in my cookies. Does that seem feasible?

Creighton Barrett

Jan 9, 2015, 3:44:21 PM1/9/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Creighton Barrett

Hutchinson, Tim

Cookies?! Before this happened, I remember encountering a URL in google that had an appended culture statement. I thought it was odd, but I just removed the statement, reloaded the page, and everything was fine. Later, I went back to the homepage, and it appears my browser saved the settings in my cookies. Does that seem feasible?

Sorry for neglecting that detail. I kind of forgot about it and didn't think it would impact the display until speaking with our developer.

Dan Gillean

David Juhasz

Mar 24, 2015, 12:40:58 PM3/24/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Creighton,

You could try forcing the culture to English in the code.  I *think* you can add:
$this->user->setCulture('en_CA');
Right around here:
https://github.com/artefactual/atom/blob/qa/2.2.x/lib/myUser.class.php#L43

I haven't tested this, so let us know the results if you try it.

Cheers,
David

--

David Juhasz
Director, AtoM Technical Services Artefactual Systems Inc. www.artefactual.com

carlso...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2018, 11:30:21 AM3/30/18
to AtoM Users
I am now grappling with this same problem.  My language settings in all the headings randomly changed to Italian two weeks ago and nothing I have tried can change it back to English.  The calendar entries remain in English.
Robert Carlson

Dan Gillean

Apr 2, 2018, 12:26:57 PM4/2/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Robert,

Can you tell us more about what you've tried?

First, have you checked the setting in your configuration file - apps/qubit/config/settings.yml - and ensured that it is the culture you want? If you make changes to this file, remember to clear the cache, restart PHP-FPM and memcached, and reindex.

Have you tried using a different browser, and ensured that your browser cache is properly cleared? Some browsers also have language settings - do an internet search for the browser you are using and determine how it sets language, as this could be affecting what you're seeing. You might also want to try using a Private window in Firefox (or Incognito mode in Chrome, etc - most browsers have some version of this), to ensure that your primary browser cache isn't affecting what you see.

Have you made any changes recently that might have caused this? Changed PHP versions, or otherwise upgraded your system?

Have you checked your filesystem permissions to ensure that everything is writable by the www-data user, as Jesus suggests above? You can use the following command to ensure that all permissions in the AtoM installation directory are properly set:
  • sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /usr/share/nginx/atom
Note that earlier in this thread, Jesus also suggested the following specific check:

I guess I'd try first to see what's the value of session.save_path in your PHP settings and check if the path exists, it's a directory writable by www-data, etc...

For information on where to find your php.ini file, see:
If that still doesn't help, there is also the solution that David suggested:

You could try forcing the culture to English in the code.  I *think* you can add:
$this->user->setCulture('en_CA');
Right around here:

Finally, if none of that works, then please provide as much information as you can on:
  • your installation environment
  • what lead to this issue appearing
  • what you've tried so far to resolve it
More information on useful things to include in your reply here:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

rcar...@robertcarlsonlaw.com

Apr 4, 2018, 10:25:14 AM4/4/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Dan,

Thank you for your thorough review of all the possible scenarios / options.  I went to the top left for main menu, right+clicked and made sure translation was set to English.  But when I restart my PC the Italian headings return + and the heading for Sunday is always in Italian, Dom.  And just now the shift key won’t let me add quotation marks, underlines or dashes but instead I get Ä, + and ?.   When I tried to use the word won’t  I got wonät instead, and was only able to change it by using spell check, F7.  And when I try to enter a question mark I get _  and I have to use a different combination, shift dash, to get ?

Any more ideas or suggestions?

Bob

Robert W. Carlson

Attorney at Law, P.C.
(a Florida Professional Corporation)

2801 Hidden Stagecoach Road

Jacksonville, FL 32223-1623

Office: (781) 239-3500

Facsimile: (904) 515-2557

Email: rcar...@robertcarlsonlaw.com

Licensed to practice law in Florida and Massachusetts

Confidentiality disclosure: The information contained in this communication is confidential, may constitute inside information, and is intended only for the use of the addressee.  Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return the original message to us at the address above via the United States Postal Service.  Thank you.

TAX ADVICE DISCLAIMERE: Pursuant to internal Revenue Service Circular 230, I advise you that any Federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (1) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication.

Dan Gillean

Apr 4, 2018, 11:02:31 AM4/4/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Bob,

I'm not clear from your response if you tried the solutions I included in my last post. Did you check the culture settings in the configuration file? Did you try re-setting the filesystem permissions? Did you look at the php.ini file? In terms of checking AtoM, these should be your next steps.

Given the behavior you are describing, this is also sounding to me like an issue with either your browser or your computer's language and keyboard settings. Have you tried accessing your AtoM site from a different computer? Have you checked the keyboard and language settings on whatever device you are using? Do you see this behavior with your keyboard on other sites?

You also haven't included further information on your installation environment, which would help us help you. From my last message:

Finally, if none of that works, then please provide as much information as you can on:
  • your installation environment
  • what lead to this issue appearing
  • what you've tried so far to resolve it
More information on useful things to include in your reply here:
When trying to troubleshoot something, the goal is for us to isolate variables one at a time, so we can figure out exactly where the issue is. If you can establish that this behavior is the same on a different computer using a different browser, then we can likely conclude that the problem is with AtoM's configuration. If from there you can verify that the culture settings in your installation configuration file are correct, the permissions are properly set, and you've restarted services (like PHP-FPM and memcached), cleared the application cache, and also cleared your browser cache, then we have at least ruled out the basics. Please review the last message again, and provide us with more information and a step-by-step progress report on what you find. Thanks!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

vincent....@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2018, 4:21:49 PM10/5/18
to AtoM Users
Got my language switched on me, "helpfully" to my local language. Also "helpfully" removed my previous default language for the account. Please keep your marketing department out of the coding department, thanks.

Dan Gillean

Oct 5, 2018, 4:59:03 PM10/5/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Vincent,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the marketing/coding comment.  We have not added any code that depends on detecting user language preferences, or region, etc. There is also no per-user account default language setting in AtoM - there is only a global installation culture setting (set during installation and maintained in a configuration file), and various language options in the language menu.

Can you provide a bit more information on what you're experiencing? Have you tried any of the suggestions listed earlier in this thread - namely:
  • Removing any languages you are not using from Admin > Settings > i18n language and re-indexing
  • You can also hide the language menu entirely via Admin > Settings > Default page elements after doing this, if your site is unilingual
  • Clearing the application cache, restarting PHP-FPM and memcached, and repopulating the index
  • Checking your site in an incognito/private browser window, where the browser cache is disabled by default
  • Checking the language settings in your browser preferences
  • Checking your keyboard language settings on your computer
  • Checking your filesystem permission settings, and the default_culture value in your configuration file?
Further links and tips on checking each of the above are outlined in previous posts in this thread. If none of these things help and you'd like further assistance, please provide as much information as you can on:
  • Your installation environment (i.e. what version of Ubuntu, PHP, AtoM, etc. and what the current default culture is in your apps/qubit/config/settings.yml config file)
  • What lead to this issue appearing (i.e. exact steps, so I can try to reproduce. Anything else that you think will help us resolve the issue - for example, are there any relevant error messages in the webserver logs, or when you repeat the steps while in Debug mode?)
  • What you've tried so far to resolve it (i.e. any of the above, and what the outcome was)
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 4:21 PM <vincent....@gmail.com> wrote:
Got my language switched on me, "helpfully" to my local language. Also "helpfully" removed my previous default language for the account. Please keep your marketing department out of the coding department, thanks.

rebecca...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2018, 9:09:02 AM12/3/18
to AtoM Users
My gmail language has just changed to Spanish even though the language in settings is English (UK). I have changed nothing, just come back from lunch and it is in Spanish. I cannot understand any of the discussions of solutions in this thread though! Is there anything simple I can do>

Dan Gillean

Dec 3, 2018, 10:41:23 AM12/3/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rebecca,

This is a forum for a specific application - Access to Memory, an application for archivists to arrange and describe their records in a web-based catalogue. We are unable to provide general support for Google products.

That said, I would recommend 1) clear the history and cache for your browser, and 2) remember that there are many places where languages can be set - in Gmail, in your browser, and in your operating system preferences. Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

akki...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2019, 6:10:24 AM2/5/19
to AtoM Users
My language changes every now and then to Italian and I do not understand a word of Italian. This is really annoying..
What is the permanent fix?

Dan Gillean

Feb 5, 2019, 10:32:13 AM2/5/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Have you tried any of the other suggestions included in the previous posts found in this thread?

Namely:
  • Start by clearing your web browser cache, and testing in an incognito browser window. Does the problem still happen?
[...]
Thank you!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

delen...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2019, 3:09:25 AM3/7/19
to AtoM Users
This has happened to me now as well, Changed from English to ZULU???

Dan Gillean

Mar 7, 2019, 11:51:40 AM3/7/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Delene,

Please review the last message I posted in this thread with suggestions on things to try, and if they don't work, a list of information about the issue that will help us provide you with better suggestions for resolving it. Here is a direct link to the post in case it helps:
Let us know how it goes!
Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Delene Smale

Mar 8, 2019, 5:29:40 AM3/8/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan
Thank you so very much for your prompt response,
Greatly appreciated.
Happy to say all back to normal again.
Have a great day further and a super weekend.

Kind Regards
Delene
+27  83 43210 17

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.

Delene Smale

Mar 8, 2019, 6:15:56 PM3/8/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Oh Dan
Its Just gone back to Zulu AGAIN. uuuugh!

Kind Regards
Delene
+27  83 43210 17

rcar...@robertcarlsonlaw.com

Mar 8, 2019, 6:18:55 PM3/8/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Stop sending me these emails.

Mar 11, 2019, 10:25:14 AM3/11/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Delene,

My initial response remains the same - please try the suggestions included in the previous post I linked. If those don't work, then please tell us what you've tried and more about your AtoM installation so we can attempt to reproduce the issue, and offer more specific suggestions.

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

sunee...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2019, 2:55:24 PM3/19/19
to AtoM Users
My google drive language is now coming up in what I believe is Russian! I have cleared cashe and rechecked that the language is set to English - it is set to English yet it still comes up in Russian. What do I do different to make it stay in English?

Dan Gillean

Mar 19, 2019, 4:40:43 PM3/19/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Sarah,

This is a user forum for Access to Memory (AtoM), an open source software project for Archivists. If you having trouble with your Google Drive language settings, please post in a Google Products forum - see for example:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Sarah Myers

Mar 19, 2019, 8:01:35 PM3/19/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Oh I apologize! I did not recognize the forum I was in. Thanks for letting me know. 😊

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.

Sarah Myers

A cheerful heart is good medicine...
Proverbs 17:22 NIV

joker...@msn.com

May 9, 2019, 12:47:00 PM5/9/19
to AtoM Users
I've had this happen probably close to a dozen times over the past two years. It's annoying, but easy to switch now that I know how. But it's still fustrating that it happens at all. And Youtube is the only site that does this to me.

opaque...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2020, 3:08:47 AM2/7/20
to AtoM Users
This is a permanent feature of google, it's how you know that you are using google, when settings you definitely change change back, mm can't get enough of that feature. Like for instance the format of the drive changed now I cant access any of my bloody files in an editable format.

On Thursday, 9 May 2019 17:47:00 UTC+1, joker...@msn.com wrote:
I've had this happen probably close to a dozen times over the past two years. It's annoying, but easy to switch now that I know how. But it's still frustrating that it happens at all. And Youtube is the only site that does this to me.

Lisa Snider

Feb 7, 2020, 6:49:52 AM2/7/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have seen this in Ontario, where it went to Portuguese for no known reason for one person using it in english.

Cheers

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone

pittbull...@gmail.com

May 5, 2020, 7:37:25 PM5/5/20
to AtoM Users
I also have had my language change for no reason on my part. It happen in chrome and YouTube

Dan Gillean

May 6, 2020, 2:02:50 PM5/6/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

This is a forum for a specific application - Access to Memory, an application for archivists to arrange and describe their records in a web-based catalogue. We are unable to provide general support for Google products.

That said, I would recommend 1) clear the history and cache for your browser, and 2) remember that there are many places where languages can be set -  in your browser, in the various Google apps, and in your operating system preferences. There are also many Google Help articles and user forums where you can post for further support.

Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:37 PM <pittbull...@gmail.com> wrote:
I also have had my language change for no reason on my part. It happen in chrome and YouTube

Lalie Lapleni

May 7, 2020, 11:05:18 AM5/7/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Good day,
Is there an online course from the beginning that we can follow here in Rwanda?
Thanks
R.Ndejuru

--
Rosalie Ndejuru

Dan Gillean

May 7, 2020, 2:15:41 PM5/7/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Lalie,

I'm going to try to provide some general links and information about AtoM (in case they are helpful for self-training), in addition to discussing training resources.

General links and information

You can find all of the AtoM project documentation here:

We've tried to make the documentation as comprehensive as possible - especially in the User Manual, which starts with a broad introduction of concepts, and provides useful introductory text for each main entity as you progress.

We also have a detailed introductory information sheet on AtoM on the Artefactual website, here:

If you would like to explore some publicly accessible AtoM sites that are being used in production by other institutions, you might find our example Users list on the AtoM wiki useful:

Many of these sites have added their own custom themes - some developed by Artefactual, some created in-house - so this is also a great way to get a sense of how you can customize AtoM’s look and feel to match your institution’s home page. You might also find the following slide deck of interest - it outlines some community AtoM sites who are using AtoM in interesting ways. See:

You'll find a number of other slide decks from past AtoM Camps, conference presentations, or webinars, on our SlideShare account

The wiki also contains Community generated resources when they are shared with us - documentation, presentations, development, and other resources created by AtoM community members and shared with the rest of the community. You can explore these here:

The easiest way to get a sense of what you can do with AtoM is to play around with it yourself - why not take a look at our public demo site? See:

The login credentials are listed right on the homepage. The site is loaded with sample data, and you are free to make whatever modifications you like - the site’s contents will automatically reset on an hourly basis. Please note that for security purposes, all uploads and imports have been disabled.

If you would like a way to set up your own test instance on a local computer or laptop, we do have a Vagrant box available, which can be installed with minimal technical knowledge. For more information, see:

AtoM end-user training resources (free)

Unfortunately, it's been a while since I have had the time to create new video tutorials. We do have some older introductory recordings from earlier releases, such as this webinar recording from the AtoM 2.1 release (circa 2015):
AtoM has grown a lot in the last 5 years, but the basic process of creating main record types (e.g. descriptions, authority records, repository records, etc) is still pretty much the same, so this will give you a sense of the basics. Additionally, some of the new functionality that was added to the 2.2 AtoM release is covered in this webinar recording:
Perhaps more useful is the AtoM Exercises worksheet we have prepared for use at our AtoM Camps. This includes a detailed walkthrough of a number of primary tasks in AtoM. If you work through the whole sheet, you will understand the most common workflows in AtoM. I have attached a PDF copy of these to this message for your use.

There are also some other slide decks that will be helpful in understanding parts of AtoM in greater depth - some examples:

AtoM paid training options

Artefactual also offers AtoM training as an additional paid service. This can either be 1.5 hour online webinar training sessions (which are interactive, and which we can tailor to your needs, experience, and interests), or an on-site workshop. For more information, see:
Of course, we are not currently organizing any on-site workshops during the COVID-19 pandemic, but we are always available for webinar sessions.

Another thing we try to do regularly (when there isn't a global pandemic) is run multi-day training camps. You can see information on previous camps that we have run here, including the schedule of sessions offered:
If in the future your institution might be interested in hosting an AtoM Camp, we have some introductory information on what we look for in a host, and what we can offer in return, here:
I hope this helps!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

AtoM Exercises 2019.pdf

ahmad.a...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2020, 5:25:04 AM6/8/20
to AtoM Users
I am facing the same thing now for sometime
The language changes from English to Hindi.
Also, ads and prices shows in Indian currency.
Although I am accessing the internet from the United Arab Emirates and never have I been to India in my life.

Kindly advise

Dan Gillean

Jun 8, 2020, 10:05:02 AM6/8/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

You've posted your questoin in a user forum for a specific application - Access to Memory (AtoM), an application for archivists to arrange and describe their records in a web-based catalogue. Is this what you are asking about, or is this a problem you are experiencing with Google, or with your browser? If this is unrelated to AtoM, I recommend that you try one of Google's forums - here's a good place to start looking for information: https://support.google.com/

That said, I would recommend 1) clear the history and cache for your browser, and 2) remember that there are many places where languages can be set - in Gmail, in your browser, and in your operating system preferences. Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

LaDonna Rosellini

May 31, 2021, 8:13:54 PM5/31/21
to AtoM Users
Dear Creighton,
For the last three days I have had email log in from the Netherlands.  I change it and it maintains until I go out of mail and the next time
I long in it is back to the Netherlands.  Irritating by day three.

LaDonna