Atom XML Export not available

Roberto JR

Apr 8, 2019, 12:27:19 PM4/8/19
to AtoM Users
Hello,
I realized that my AtoM (2.4.1) installed do not include "XML Format" in export options. What's wrong?
Thanks

Dan Gillean

Apr 8, 2019, 1:51:22 PM4/8/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Roberto,

When you add archival descriptions to the Clipboard, then navigate to the clipboard page and click "Export," you don't see XML as an option in the Format drop-down?

clipboard-export.png

Additionally, there should be DC and EAD XML export options on the view page of a description, in the right-hand context menu:

export-xml.png

Note that it's better to export from the clipboard, which uses the job scheduler to hande the export, rather than on the view page, which happens via the browser (and may therefore time out for very large descriptions).

If these are not present, one thing you could check is if, in Admin > Plugins, that the sfEadPlugin and sfDcPlugin are enabled - they should both be checked!

If this still doesn't resolve the issue, we will need to know more about your installation to offer further suggestions. See this section of our troubleshooting page for suggestions on information to include:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Roberto JR

Apr 8, 2019, 4:48:29 PM4/8/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thanks
There is no section like that you posted in my installation. I'm attaching the pictures. All plugins are enabled.
Everything else seems to work fine. I can Export CSV easy with  success.
I have to try XML because CSV exported contains "," (comma) inside the text and so messing up the all csv...
-----
Info:
Your full AtoM version number: 2.4.1
Did you follow our recommended installation instructions? Yes
Using Ubuntu 16.04
No errors
Detailed steps to reproduce the issue -
Select Archival Institution->Select a Institution (the page does no show much) -> click Add to clipboard -> go to Clipboard
-> Select Archival Institution -> Click Export.

 Thanks

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.

Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg

Dan Gillean

Apr 8, 2019, 4:55:42 PM4/8/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Ah, I understand now Roberto - thank you for including the detailed steps and the screenshots in your response.

There is no XML export option for Archival institutions - only for Authority records (in EAC-CPF XML) and Archival descriptions (in EAD 2002 or DC XML).

The Archives Portal Europe did develop EAG XML for archival institutions in 2012, but I have not seen it supported elsewhere, and I don't believe it is being actively maintained. No one has sponsored support for adding this to AtoM at present. If we were to add it in the future, I would first want to learn if the XML spec is being maintained by someone.

Have you tried opening the Archival institution CSV in a spreadsheet program like LibreOffice Calc? If you are looking at it in a program like Excel, there may be display issues, because by default Excel uses Win-Latin for its character encoding, while AtoM CSVs are formatted as UTF-8. Of course, if you are looking at the raw output in a text editor, it will be difficult to read as well  - but it should be well-formed. :)

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Roberto JR

Apr 8, 2019, 5:13:34 PM4/8/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan,
Thanks

well...
"There is no XML export option for Archival institutions - only for Authority records (in EAC-CPF XML) and Archival descriptions (in EAD 2002 or DC XML). "

Oh Boy!!!

"Have you tried opening the Archival institution CSV in a spreadsheet program like LibreOffice Calc? If you are looking at it in a program like Excel, there may be display issues, because by default Excel uses Win-Latin for its character encoding, while AtoM CSVs are formatted as UTF-8"

It´s true... Calc open the file with wrong codification (I think it's a configuration issue), but I think that is the best solution for now!

Case-closed!

Very thanks for your help !!!

Dan Gillean

Apr 8, 2019, 5:30:44 PM4/8/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Great, I'm glad to hear you were able to get what you need, Roberto! Thanks for updating us.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.