FHYA

Aug 30, 2018, 5:51:20 AM8/30/18
to AtoM Users
Hi all

I was wondering how are top level descriptions are designated? We have a number of levels in which items are organised, and only the highest level (collections) are given top level description status - is it at all possible to give some of the lower levels a 'top level description status' so that when someone clicks 'view all' in the carousel, it only shows them all items linked to the specific level of description that they are on?

Corinne Rogers

Aug 30, 2018, 8:10:59 AM8/30/18
to AtoM Users
Hi FHYA,

Descriptions in AtoM are hierarchical, meaning that all records belonging to one creator are considered to be a unit (fonds, or collection normally) and then parts of that unit may be further described at lower levels of description. So the highest level of description will be whatever you apply to the whole group. You can't assign top level to lower levels. However, your users should be able to see the items in any level by selecting that level in the tree view. For example, if you have a collection with three files one file has a part, and that part has five items in it, then when your user selects the part, the carousel will show those five items only.

I hope this helps.

best regards,
Corinne

Corinne Rogers
Systems Archivist
Artefactual Systems

Corinne Rogers

Aug 30, 2018, 10:21:54 AM8/30/18
to AtoM Users
Hi again,

You will also be able to see all the digital objects in any level through the treeview but selecting "View All" in the carousel when there are more than 10 items in the level. As an example, if you go to the demo here: https://demo.accesstomemory.org/photographs-7 you will see this option.

cheers,
Corinne

Dan Gillean

Aug 30, 2018, 1:51:53 PM8/30/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Chloe,

If I am understanding correctly, then I think what you're describing is in fact a bug, that has been fixed in the upcoming 2.4.1 release. There was a regression where the carousel was just showing all digital objects from an archival unit, rather than just the items below the current level. It should be addressed now! See:
I know I've been saying this for a bit now, but the 2.4.1 is coming soon! Several of us are currently delivering an AtoM Camp in Toronto at the moment, and once we're back, finalizing the release and making it publicly available will be one of our top priorities.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Chloe Rush

Aug 31, 2018, 4:58:30 AM8/31/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan (and Corinne)

Thanks so much! Definitely good to know!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.

Ricardo Pinho

Sep 13, 2018, 2:29:07 PM9/13/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dan,
Please apologize me for putting some more pressure on this.

But I must ask if, is there an official release date for the AtoM 2.4.1 version?

Has stated several times this version has several needed improvements (cookies) and bug fixes that we would like to apply on our production and public server.

Thank you in advance.
--
Ricardo PinhoAtoM

Dan Gillean

Sep 13, 2018, 4:30:54 PM9/13/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Ricardo,

I'm sorry, we have stopped announcing release dates in advance precisely because of how hard it can be to hold to them. The work we do for releases - especially with minor bug-fix releases - is all unpaid work, meaning that as a small company, we necessarily have to prioritize our client work first, and complete the community maintenance work as we are able. In this case, we had a lot of work-related travel in the summer that tied up our team, though we are focusing on finalizing this release now.

However, sometimes issues come up that we feel are important to get into this release, so the community can benefit from a bug fix prior to the 2.5 release, which likely won't be until next year. For example, the following issue was recently reported in our user forum, and came up while I was leading a training session at our recent AtoM Camp in Toronto - since it breaks major functionality, we are now trying to add a fix prior to the 2.4.1 release is made public. See:
At this point, we have complete most regression and functional testing on the release, and as you can see here, there are only 4 remaining open tickets (and one ticket for release management) for us to address, many of which require only testing to be complete. So we are close!

However, if you don't want to wait for the formal public release, you do have some options on how to proceed immediately as well:

If you have previously installed 2.4 using Option 2 in our recommended installation instructions, from our code repository, then you should be able to use git to pull in the changes, then restart services, clear the cache, and populate the search index. You might also want to look at the notes I've added to the release page for 2.4.1 about upgrading, here:
Alternatively, you could also follow the normal upgrade process (i.e. back up your data, install a new version, and then load your data into it), but use Option 2 for the installation of the new site, and install from our stable/2.4.x branch in our code repository, rather than waiting for a public downloadable tarball. We are still doing some internal testing, but the branch is stable, and should be suitable for production use if needed. If there are further updates before the final public release, you could easily pull them in without having to do another full upgrade, following the first method I described above.

Thanks in advance for your understanding!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Ricardo Pinho

Sep 14, 2018, 6:43:55 AM9/14/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dan,
Thank you for the fast and complete explanation.
Of course we understand Artefactual reasons and appreciate all the effort and incredible support you keep giving to this fantastic AtoM software.
Best regards,
Ricardo Pinho

Ricardo Pinho