ElasticSearch query for archival descriptions linked to authority records with an Identifier for Corporate Bodies

Creighton Barrett

May 21, 2020, 12:27:31 PM5/21/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

And playing around with searches that target linked entities. The docs provide a great list:
creators.i18n.%LANG%.authorizedFormOfName
creators.otherNames.i18n.%LANG%.name
creators.parallelNames.i18n.%LANG%.name
creators.standardizedNames.i18n.%LANG%.name
genres.i18n.%LANG%.name
names.i18n.%LANG%.authorizedFormOfName
names.otherNames.i18n.%LANG%.name
names.parallelNames.i18n.%LANG%.name
names.standardizedNames.i18n.%LANG%.name
places.i18n.%LANG%.name
repository.i18n.%LANG%.authorizedFormOfName
subjects.i18n.%LANG%.name
I am wondering if there is a search that can target the "Identifiers for corporate bodies" field in the Identity Area (ISAAR 5.1.6). I've tried out a few things and noticed that this query:

Returns the total number of archival descriptions in our data entry site. Which might be accurate because I don't think we have any authority records with these identifiers. But this query:

Returns zero results, even after I added a test value to an authority record. The job scheduler says the update is complete, so if the ES query syntax is correct, I'd expect a result for the second query.

I'm not sure if this linked field is just not indexed and there is no ES query to do what I want, or if indexing is ongoing after the job is complete. Or maybe this field is indexed and I just have the wrong query?

Thanks,
Creighton

Dan Gillean

May 21, 2020, 12:39:51 PM5/21/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Creighton,

It's worth looking over the full list of indexed fields for authority records, here in the docs:
You'll note that, within the authority records index, the Identifiers for Corporate bodies field is indexed as: corporateBodyIdentifiers. This is not being included as a foreign type on the archival descriptions at the moment, so attempting a global search like:
  • _exists_:corporateBodyIdentifiers
Will likely return 0 results. However, the same query run in the dedicated authority record search box should return records that have a corporate identifier

Because it's not indexed as a foreign type on descriptions, I'm not sure I can provide you with an ES query that will return, for example, all descriptions that are linked to an authority that has a corporate identifier. It may be possible to craft something like that with SQL - that would take a bit more investigation.

However, the fields you are trying to search on, as far as I can tell, don't actually exist in the index - which is why you are getting either all results or no results.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Creighton Barrett

May 21, 2020, 1:25:33 PM5/21/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, perfect, thanks Dan. I grabbed that list from the docs on ES queries and archival descriptions, hadn't made my way to the authority record page yet. Sorry about that oversight!

Even knowing that we can search for the presence of this identifier in the authority record search box is helpful. Thanks!

Creighton