No se visualizan las referencias al enlazar vídeos.

Mercedes Jiménez Bolívar

Apr 12, 2021, 7:16:11 AM4/12/21
to AtoM Users
Hola, amigos.
Primero: No se crean las referencias y miniaturas al enlazar vídeos en las descripciones de documentos.
Segundo: Al hacerlo de forma manual consigo que funcionen bien las miniaturas, pero no las referencias. Existen pero no se visualizan en la ventana de imagen de la descripción.  da el siguiente mensaje:

01.png

Muchas gracias por todo!!!

Dan Gillean

Apr 12, 2021, 11:38:14 AM4/12/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hola Mercedes,

Thank you for this report. I have managed to reproduce the issue that you describe - unfortunately, it appears that there is a bug, where the file path to the digital object is not being saved correctly in AtoM - this is probably why the derivative generation fails.

I have filed an issue ticket here, and marked it as High priority so we can address this in the 2.7 release:
The same issue does not seem to apply when videos are uploaded locally. I understand that this is not ideal, but for smaller videos, your best solution right now might be to download a copy and then upload it directly to AtoM.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Mercedes Jiménez Bolívar

Apr 12, 2021, 12:49:54 PM4/12/21
to AtoM Users
Muchísimas gracias, Dan.

Dan Gillean

May 6, 2021, 3:33:04 PM5/6/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hola Mercedes,

I have a quick update on this issue for you. We have had a chance now to investigate this bug, and I am happy to report that a fix will be included in the 2.7 release.

There were a couple different issues at play. First, it turns out that regenerating derivatives for a remote video was causing FFMPEG to ask for confirmation before overwriting any previous derivative (even if there wasn't one) - with no way for the user to confirm, the task failed.

Additionally, we discovered that videos that use periods in the name (e.g. my.video.title.mp4) were not being properly parsed - only the first part of the name would be used for the derivative's name. This too has been fixed.

Further details on the issue ticket:
Also, if you have local developers and wish to try applying a fix for this before the 2.7 release, the related code commit can be seen here:
As always, we strongly recommend making a backup before changing AtoM code on a production server, and if possible, we suggest testing the changes on a development version of AtoM first!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
@accesstomemory
he / him

Mercedes Jiménez Bolívar

May 19, 2021, 2:00:17 PM5/19/21
to AtoM Users
Muchísimas gracias, Dan. Lo comunicaré a los desarrolladores locales.

Mercedes Jiménez Bolívar

Feb 17, 2023, 3:10:11 AM2/17/23
to AtoM Users
¡Buenos días!
Cambiamos a la versión 7 y ya se generan derivados de los vídeos. Muchas gracias.
Ahora bien, ¿existe la posibilidad de desactivar esta opción e incluir solo una imagen fija como referencia del vídeo? Estoy trabajando en un proyecto en el que no quieren incluir en la instalación de AtoM los vídeos derivados debido al peso de los ficheros.
Muchísimas gracias por vuestra atención
Mercedes

Dan Gillean

Feb 17, 2023, 8:59:40 AM2/17/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hola Mercedes,

I have tested this, and unfortunately at this time it is not possible without code changes.

AtoM will automatically look at the media type of the master digital object (e.g. video, audio, text, image, or other) and then attempt to load the corresponding viewer or media player on the related description's view page for the reference display copy.

This means that  if you manually delete the reference copy  of a video, and then try to upload an image instead, the image will not display. Instead, you will see an error message inside of the video player on the description view page.

I have filed a Wishlist ticket for us to consider such functionality in the future - see:
Please note that filing a wish list ticket is no guarantee that this will be included in a future version.

In the meantime, there are two possible workarounds I can think of:

First, you could manually edit the media type value to be an image - i.e. click on the "More" button at the bottom of the description, and then select "Edit digital object." You will find a media type dropdown menu, where you can change this value from video to image. Now if you delete the current reference video and upload an image instead, it should work.

This change will allow your image reference copy to display. When the reference image is clicked, it should still lead to the master video. However, this will have three additional effects:
  • First, it impacts searching and browsing, as AtoM will now think the master object is an image - so any media type filter or facet will now count it as an image, not a video
  • Second, if the original video is not one that the web browser can play, then users will need to download the video and play it locally rather than viewing it in the browser
  • Third, if your permissions are not configured so that public users can view the master digital object, then public users will not be able to see your videos! So you will need to make sure your permissions for the anonymous group (i.e. public users) are properly set to Grant access to the master.
The second workaround is to include no reference display image at all. If you delete it (by going to "Edit digital object") and do not upload a replacement, AtoM will display a very simple placeholder instead:

video-placeholder.png

Again, clicking this should still lead to the original video if the user has permissions to see the master. Additionally, the thumbnail should still be present in search and browse results. However, it may not be obvious to users that they can click on the file placeholder image to see the original video in the browser.

In any case, I hope these suggestions help you find a strategy that will work for you!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056