moving data from Google spreadsheet to AtoM

David Slater

Apr 19, 2022, 2:19:41 AM4/19/22
to AtoM Users
I have my catalogue on a Google spreadsheet: is it possible to upload it to AtoM?

David Slater

Dan Gillean

Apr 19, 2022, 9:55:50 AM4/19/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi David,

AtoM does support CSV import, but will expect certain column header names to be used, so the application can parse what metadata is in each column of yoru spreadsheet. So you'll likely need to do a bit of local preparation.

Our CSV templates can be found in AtoM's code (at lib/task/import/example), and we also keep copies on our wiki, here:
We include a couple sample rows in these templates that list the name and number of the field from the corresponding standard to which they relate, to help you better understand how the CSV is organized. You can import these example rows to see exactly where and how they will appear in AtoM once uploaded.

We have extensive documentation on preparing your CSVs for import, which you can use as guidance for preparing your spreadsheet. See:
Finally, one very important factor: AtoM expects CSV imports to use unix-style line endings and UTF-8 encoding. See:
Fortunately, as a web application, Google Sheets seems to use the correct encoding by default, but if you can configure any options when exporting your sheet as a CSV, be sure to choose these.

Good luck! And let us know if you have further questions.

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
@accesstomemory
he / him