Denying access to master object

Carolina Melo

Apr 8, 2019, 10:56:20 AM4/8/19
to AtoM Users
Hello, everyone!

Does anyone know how can I change the access settings to not allow anonymous users to access the master link of a digital object?
For example, there are items in the Pernambuco Holdings that are searchable pdf and I can easily find them in google by searching for some text that the pdf contains.
So I don't need to access the atom's website, which is the one who checks the permissions. I can simply access the PDF directly from the link that my google search brought me, even if I am an anonymous user that don't have permission to see that object.

I think I have a problem :(

I really appreciate if anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Carolina Melo

Dan Gillean

Apr 8, 2019, 11:43:28 AM4/8/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Carolina,

PDFs are the one exception to the Permissions rules to deny access to the master digital object. Generally you want users to read PDF text, and the reference image is a JPG that is generally just the first page, and too small to be readable. For that reason, we don't apply the usual permission restrictions to PDFs. This allows users to still restrict access to other digital object masters using the permission settings, without rendering the PDFs unusable.

If you want to restrict access for public users to the PDFs, I recommend using the PREMIS rights to restrict access. See:
Note that if you have many PDFs in a fonds/collection, you could apply the rights just once at the top level, and make it inherit down to all digital objects. See:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Carolina Melo

Apr 8, 2019, 1:09:36 PM4/8/19
to AtoM Users
Hi, Dan!
Thanks a lot for you fast reply!
Unfortunatelly I still can find and access the master object (the pdf) if I search for some text of this pdf in google.
I changed all the premis access permition for everything related to the master object.
It's exactly like the attatched picture for all premis act (display, discover, disseminate...)
And also in the item description, I created the rights disallowing everything.

premis access.PNG

description rights.PNG

Dan Gillean

Apr 8, 2019, 1:15:50 PM4/8/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Carolina,

When making the PREMIS rights actionable on digital objects, only one Act can be set - currently you have it set to use Display, so that's the only rights statement you need to add. You need to add a Basis for the Right as well.

In your permissions settings, you are still allowing access to the Master when the permission is set to disallow - you need to uncheck the boxes under "Master" in the Disallow section of the permissions grid for permission to be denied to the master object as well!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.