Country and Repository Codes

Steven Politzer

Jun 20, 2017, 11:42:31 PM6/20/17
to AtoM Users
Hi there,

Where do Australian and NZ AtoM users obtain their country and repository codes?

Thanks.

Dan Gillean

Jun 21, 2017, 11:04:34 AM6/21/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Steven,

In AtoM, the country code is automatically assigned when a country is added to the Repository Contact information area. The contact area includes a pick-list, and when a country is picked, the corresponding ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code is used in the contact details displayed in the sidebar of the repository view page, and as part of the inherited reference code when that setting is turned on. According to this standard, "AU" is the code for Australia, while (you guessed it) "NZ" is the code for New Zealand.

You can read more about the inherited reference code setting here:

As for repository codes - I'll let someone from AU or NZ respond! Ultimately this varies depending on region and resources. Sometimes there is a national body providing control, or an aggregator (like Trove) takes on the role; sometimes repository codes are self-assigned. The International Council on Archives' ISDIAH standard simply defines the repository identifier (ISDIAH 5.1.1) field as follows:

Purpose:
To provide a unique numeric or alpha-numeric code identifying the institution with archival holdings.
Rule:
Record the numeric or alpha-numeric code identifying the institution with archival holdings in accordance with the relevant international and national standards.

Hopefully someone on this list can give you further guidance for these particular jurisdictions!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

maggie....@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2017, 9:56:59 PM6/21/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Steven

The repository code is up to you here in Australia. It's important to note that it will appear between the country code AU and your series numbers so you need something fairly obvious and not too long. We went with NBAC for Noel Butlin Archives Centre which is followed by various alphanumeric and numeric identifiers for those collections. For the University Archives we use ANUA (Australian National University Archives) as that was already the series prefix so that's now followed by the single number that is the series number. I guess you'd want to avoid anything that might get you confused with any other archives in Australia. To set it up all you do is enter it as the Identifier in the repository record.

Maggie Shapley
University Archivist
Australian National University