Atom theme available.

Alberto Pereira

Feb 27, 2019, 6:26:06 AM2/27/19
to AtoM Users
Hi,

First, I'm a developer, and in the last few years I've got several new clients working with Atom. There seems to be a growing use of the software. The community and artefactual must be doing something right!
And I must give a shout out to Dan Gillean, for the impeccable work within this forum. I hope Artefactual realises what an incredible asset they have (and pay you accordingly!).
Now, within my work with these clients, there have been some requests more specific to their view, and I decided to create a theme with some of those and make it publicly available.

Some features:
  • By default, Atom permissions allow descriptions to be read in browse lists, sidebar facets, "Popular this week" list. This theme removes any items that a specific user, or user group, doesn't have permissions to read;
  • The "Popular this week" box gets a bigger highlight;
  • The first element of the "Popular this week" also shows its thumbnail (if it exists);
  • Overall style changes (including new icons);
  • A Blog! (well, sort of), it uses static pages to mimic a blog. You just have to create a page called "Blog", and any other page that has a title that starts with "_X-", will automatically be listed in the blog page (e.g. "_X-A post title");
  • You don't have to chose between the sidebar treeview and the full width treeview. You can have both. There's a new link, right below the sidebar treeview, that opens a popup with the full width treeview.
It has an MIT license, which means you can basically do whatever you want with it.

I hope it's useful for someone, and if you find any problems please feel free to point them out, that I'll make my best to solve them.

Best regards,

Alberto Pereira

Dan Gillean

Feb 27, 2019, 10:30:22 AM2/27/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Alberto!

First, thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad that you find our work in the forum helpful. Artefactual is an amazing company to work for, and I have always felt well-supported - and I am able to spend as much time helping users in the forum because of this!

More importantly - your theme looks amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing this!

I will add it to our wiki soon - I think I will create a new section in the Community Development page for custom themes that have been shared, so we can add more in the future. I am always amazed and inspired to see the ways in which our community adapts AtoM in creative and impressive ways... and I am grateful to see such a spirit of generosity. You are truly embracing the open source ethos!

Is this theme currently in use anywhere publicly visible? I would love to see it in action!

Warm regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Dan Gillean

Feb 27, 2019, 11:49:56 AM2/27/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Just a quick update to say that I've added this to our wiki, here:
Feel free to request any changes you would like to the wiki entry, or you are welcome to request a wiki account and make further changes yourself!

Thanks again for sharing!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Alberto Pereira

Mar 4, 2019, 9:42:12 AM3/4/19
to AtoM Users
Hi again,

replying to this thread to let you now there's a demo version of this at http://ks23963.kimsufi.com/?sf_culture=en (with some real data).
I have one almost like it in production, but it's closed to the members of the organization.

cheers,

alberto

Dan Gillean

Mar 4, 2019, 10:16:14 AM3/4/19
to ICA-AtoM Users

Alberto Pereira

Mar 4, 2019, 10:26:24 AM3/4/19
to AtoM Users
Just seen it. Thank you for the highlight!

Gines Saez Gonzalez

Feb 17, 2021, 10:10:14 AM2/17/21
to AtoM Users
I had this problem, any idea?

APP version: 2.6.2 - 184

:/usr/share/nginx/atom# make -C plugins/arAPPlugin/
make: Entering directory '/usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arAPPlugin'
Running LESS compiler...
lessc --compress --relative-urls css/main.less > css/main.css
/bin/sh: 1: lessc: not found
Makefile:4: recipe for target 'less' failed
make: *** [less] Error 127
make: Leaving directory '/usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arAPPlugin'

Gines Saez Gonzalez

Feb 17, 2021, 10:49:39 AM2/17/21
to AtoM Users
i'll install npm & npm install -g less

now

/usr/share/nginx/atom# make -C plugins/arAPPlugin/
make: Entering directory '/usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arAPPlugin'
Running LESS compiler...
lessc --compress --relative-urls css/main.less > css/main.css
The --relative-urls option has been deprecated. Use --rewrite-urls=all.
ArgumentError: Error evaluating function `percentage`: argument must be a number in /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arAPPlugin/css/
less/variables.less on line 316, column 27:
315 // -------------------------
316 @fluidGridColumnWidth:    percentage(@gridColumnWidth/@gridRowWidth);
317 @fluidGridGutterWidth:    percentage(@gridGutterWidth/@gridRowWidth);

Makefile:4: recipe for target 'less' failed
make: *** [less] Error 1
make: Leaving directory '/usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arAPPlugin'

Dan Gillean

Feb 17, 2021, 10:51:07 AM2/17/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Gines,

Sounds like you might have figured it out, but I had already written up some instructions for you, so here you are!

When you install AtoM from the downloadable tarball we provide (on our Downloads page), the CSS in the base Dominion theme is precompiled - so we don't make people install the dependencies necessary for recompiling the CSS. If, on the other hand, you install using Option 2 in our documentation (from our GitHub code repository), then the CSS is not compiled, and the make command needs to be run. Consequently, in the Option 2 section, we include instructions for installing the dependencies and then running the make command.

If you add a new custom theme, you'll also need to compile it - I've copied the instructions from the documentation below. You may not have curl installed either, which is required for fetching the other dependencies, so I'll first include instructions for that.

First, make sure your operating system is up to date. On Ubuntu, you can typically do so with:
  • sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
Nowe we can install curl:
  • sudo apt install curl
You can check if it worked after by running:
  • curl --version

Now we install the dependencies for lessc:
Finally, you should be able to recompile the CSS for the base Dominion theme:
  • sudo make -C /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionPlugin
Do the same for your custom theme plugin, e.g.:
  • sudo make -C /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arAPPlugin
I would also recommend that you clear the application cache and restart PHP-FPM after making these changes.
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Gines Saez Gonzalez

Feb 17, 2021, 11:45:16 AM2/17/21
to AtoM Users
WAW!!! Works Fine!!!!

Realy Thanks!!!

Vincent Hiribarren

Jan 3, 2022, 11:51:42 AM1/3/22
to AtoM Users
Hello,

The theme looks amazing but I can't seem to make it work. Even after following the instructions above, the theme doesn't appear where it is supposed to be in the back office. I am using Atom 2.6. Am I missing something?

Best,

Vincent

Vincent Hiribarren

Jan 3, 2022, 6:30:26 PM1/3/22
to AtoM Users
It was a basic mistake. I forgot to rename the folder: I just needed to get rid of '-master'...

In a weird way, I still can't install the theme. It only appeared once in my themes folder and when I clicked on it, the css wouldn't work. I manage to go back to the default theme but now can't even add it to my list of available themes. Quite confusing.

Vincent

Dan Gillean

Jan 4, 2022, 11:36:53 AM1/4/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Vincent,

I can't speak exactly to this particular theme, as I have not tested installing it myself, and it's possible that changes in AtoM 2.6 may be affecting some aspects. However, two things that may help:

First, I'm attaching a basic guide to installing custom themes. It's a bit dated as well, so some commands  (like restarting PHP-FPM) may be different in newer versions of AtoM. Be sure to check the documentation for your version for the latest instructions on basic maintenance tasks. For example:
Additionally, there is a command in there (step 7) to compile the custom theme. If you originally installed your AtoM instance using Option 1 in our installation instructions (install from the downloadable tarball), then you may not have the dependencies installed to run this task. Please see the earlier message in this same thread where I outline the steps to install the required dependencies before running the make command:
Finally, in case it's helpful, here is our documentation on creating custom themes in AtoM:
Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

AtoM - Theming - custom theme plugin installation instructions.pdf

Vincent Hiribarren

Jan 5, 2022, 5:42:57 AM1/5/22
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your answer and for the fantastic level of support of everyone here.

Yes, I have followed all the instructions outlined in your message but I have found out that the theme doesn't work with 2.6: https://groups.google.com/g/ica-atom-users/c/zk-cukGD6lQ/m/-C9s_i4KBAAJ

I have looked for other possible themes for 2.6 but I have run out of luck. If anyone would be happy to share a 2.6 compatible theme, I would gladly take it!

Best,

Vincent