Export Function in Web Interface

Vicky Phillips

Feb 25, 2019, 10:20:27 AM2/25/19
to AtoM Users
Hi
Just a quick question regarding the Export function in the web interface... Does this export EAD and DC on the fly or does it get this from the cached DC and EAD folders?
Thanks,
Vicky

Dan Gillean

Feb 25, 2019, 11:35:27 AM2/25/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Vicky,

It should generate new XML on demand, using the job scheduler. I believe that the cached XML is only being used currently in 2 places:
  • In OAI-PMH responses
  • When the export XML buttons in the right-hand context menu of an archival description's view page are clicked
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Vicky Phillips

Feb 26, 2019, 7:23:44 AM2/26/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,
Sorry it's the export XML buttons in the right-hand context menu I was referring to.  I was hoping that this uses the cache and does not generate on the fly. But I'm guessing if an item isn't in the cache then will it generate it on the fly?  I've just clicked on the Export EAD button for a fairly average sized archive and it seems to be putting mysql under a bit of pressure which makes me think that possibly the EAD and DC xml for this isn't in the cache.
Thanks for your help.
Vicky

Dan Gillean

Feb 26, 2019, 10:06:10 AM2/26/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Vicky,

Yes, I believe that if you have cached EAD XML and the cache setting turned on, then the export links on the view page of the description *should* use the cached version.

I would say try generating (or re-generating) some XML for the particular description you are testing and try again. If you encounter issues, let me know and I will try to reproduce.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Vicky Phillips

May 1, 2019, 6:29:18 AM5/1/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,
I've done some further testing on this and from what I've noticed the Export links do not use the cached xml when the auto caching is switched on or off. Here's what I noticed.....

If the automatic caching is not switched on then the OAI still uses the cached xml as change to record does not appear. Whereas if you use the Export function via the web interface the change in the record appears, therefore this generates the xml on the fly. Switching the auto caching on and editing a record you can see a task appear for updating the cached DC and EAD xml files in the Task manager page. However when clicking on the EAD Export function I was expecting this to display fairly quickly if it was now using the cached version, but it’s taking an age to respond which makes me think that it's using the cached version and is trying to generate the xml on the fly, although not using the job scheduler. Watching the log while clicking on the Export EAD button seems to confirm this as CPU hits 99.3%.  Just to note that with the auto caching enabled just adding a full stop to the title of Papurau Kate Roberts archive has resulted in that archive (which isn’t one of the largest archives) taking around 1hr 7mins to re-cache the DC and EAD xml files via the job scheduler, which highlights why we can’t have this switched on.  Just to note it caches EAD first then the DC.

EAD

[info] [2019-04-30 13:48:38] Job 3500911 "arXmlExportSingleFileJob": Job started.
[info] [2019-04-30 13:48:38] Job 3500911 "arXmlExportSingleFileJob": Starting EAD export of information object 1857683.
[info] [2019-04-30 14:22:24] Job 3500911 "arXmlExportSingleFileJob": Export complete.
[info] [2019-04-30 14:22:27] Job 3500911 "arXmlExportSingleFileJob": Job finished.

DC

[info] [2019-04-30 14:22:27] Job 3500912 "arXmlExportSingleFileJob": Job started.
[info] [2019-04-30 14:22:29] Job 3500912 "arXmlExportSingleFileJob": Starting DC export of information object 1857683.
[info] [2019-04-30 14:55:18] Job 3500912 "arXmlExportSingleFileJob": Export complete.
[info] [2019-04-30 14:55:21] Job 3500912 "arXmlExportSingleFileJob": Job finished.

Is there a way we can get the Export links to use the cached xml rather than generating on the fly?

Thanks,
Vicky

Corinne Rogers

May 3, 2019, 4:57:12 PM5/3/19
to AtoM Users
Hi Vicky,

It looks like you have found a bug! I have tested this in my vagrant box for both AtoM 2.4.1 and 2.5 (soon to be released), and it does indeed appear that the xml export is created on the fly even when a cached xml file exists. Using CLI tools I can change the cached version and then run the export again from the UI - if everything was working as it should, AtoM should look to see if there is a cached version and serve that, in which case I would see my changed cache xml version, but I always get the same xml from the description.

I have filed a bug report, and you can follow the issue here: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/12998.

best regards,
Corinne

Corinne Rogers, MAS, PhD