atom multi server deployment

Matthew Bruton

Feb 24, 2020, 6:24:14 AM2/24/20
to AtoM Users
Hi there,

I have set up multiple servers that I can use to host atom. I have read about multi server deployment of atom in the various literature, but it is low on detail.

I have servers with varying processing power, and varying connection speeds.

Is there anyone who might be able to tell me how best to deploy the various dependencies in such a scenario?

So, should I put the database on the fast server or the slow one? Elasticsearch on the fast server or slower one? And so on. I have vague ideas, but that is all.

Experienced admins, please help!

Dan Gillean

Feb 24, 2020, 4:46:17 PM2/24/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Matthew,

I asked our team for some input for you. We haven't done a lot of performance benchmarking to determine the ideal configurations, but we often deploy Nginx, MySQL, and Elasticsearch each in their own separate VMs. By default these each contain 2 CPUs and 8GB of RAM, but if you have to pick which to prioritize, give more CPU power to the MySQL server, and more RAM to the Elasticsearch server.

They didn't have a lot of specifics to offer, but I hope this helps!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Matthew Bruton

Feb 25, 2020, 4:14:39 AM2/25/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Ok thanks Dan. Appreciate it.

I noticed in one of your slides talking about multi server deployment, there are VM's used also. Is there a reason to use them over the server straight (As in literally an entire server just for mysql) ? Because that is what I will be doing.

Dan Gillean

Feb 26, 2020, 10:54:49 AM2/26/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Matthew,

I think this is partly based on the hosting infrastructure we use (we don't own a bunch of physical servers to provide our hosting services), but also because our team finds them easier to manage and scale up on demand if necessary.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 4:14 AM Matthew Bruton <matthewb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok thanks Dan. Appreciate it.

I noticed in one of your slides talking about multi server deployment, there are VM's used also. Is there a reason to use them over the server straight? Because the latter is what I will be doing.

Matthew Bruton

Feb 26, 2020, 11:20:55 AM2/26/20
to AtoM Users
ok that makes sense. Thanks!