DIP Upload Repeatable Fields

mathieu....@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2020, 1:22:07 PM12/15/20
to AtoM Users
We're running Archivematica (1.11.2) and uploading DIPs to AtoM (2.5.4 - 172) one thing I'm noticing recently is that when we have DC metadata with duplicate fields, for example two dc.creators, when the object record is created in AtoM it only includes the second of the two and will not include the first.  Creator should be a field that allows multiple values so I'm wondering if this is a bug, or a limitation in the DIP Upload capability in AtoM.

Karl Goetz

Dec 15, 2020, 8:34:34 PM12/15/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I believe what you are seeing is the expected behaviour - ie not a bug per se. I forget which end (atom/archivematica) drops the additional fields; you may be able to find a reference in the group archives though.

Karl.

Dec 16, 2020, 3:23:04 PM12/16/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Mathieu,

I've checked in with the Archivematica team and must confess, I'm not sure that either of our teams have recently tested to see what happens when there are multiple elements such as creators in the related metadata!

AM team members tell me that they would expect to accomplish this in a metadata.csv file by having 2 separate dc.creator columns, each with a single value - and not a single column with a pipe separated value, as AtoM's CSV import expects.

The first thing I'd suggest checking would be to open up the METS file and see if both creators were recorded there.

If so, then the problem exists on AtoM's side with how DIP upload is handled - I can follow up on that by filing a bug report, and we can look into options for addressing this issue. If the second creator was in fact formatted properly in the metadata CSV file but doesn't appear in the METS as expected, then the problem may be on Archivematica's side (or both).

Can you start by taking a look and let us know what you find, as well as how you added the second creator?

Thanks!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 1:22 PM mathieu....@gmail.com <mathieu....@gmail.com> wrote:
We're running Archivematica (1.11.2) and uploading DIPs to AtoM (2.5.4 - 172) one thing I'm noticing recently is that when we have DC metadata with duplicate fields, for example two dc.creators, when the object record is created in AtoM it only includes the second of the two and will not include the first.  Creator should be a field that allows multiple values so I'm wondering if this is a bug, or a limitation in the DIP Upload capability in AtoM.

mathieu....@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2020, 1:23:41 PM12/21/20
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thanks for asking around.  These were created with a metadata.csv with separate dc.creator columns and one value per column. The resulting METS file looks fine with separate <dc:creator> tags, so it appears to be on the AtoM side during DIP upload it loses the first of the two creators.  Other repeatable fields like dc.coverage appear without issue.

Thanks,
Mathieu Deschaine

Dan Gillean

Dec 21, 2020, 2:44:52 PM12/21/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thank you for reporting back, Mathieu!

I've filed a bug ticket to track this issue, so we can hopefully take a look and fix it for an upcoming release.
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.