Actor Entity Type display

thearch...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2020, 3:32:31 PM7/14/20
to AtoM Users
Greetings all,

Some time ago, we added a new Actor Entity Type to include "Conceptual Entity" (used for artist collectives, among other non-corporate, multi-person groups). We recently noticed that the default setting for an authority record defined as a Conceptual Entity is "Biographical history" and we would like this to display, instead, as "Administrative history" in the archival description. I cannot seem to find how I can change this - is there any way to do this either through the taxonomy description, admin settings, or even directly through MySQL?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Dan Gillean

Jul 15, 2020, 11:57:32 AM7/15/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Jeremy,

Unfortunately, there's no setting to manage this behavior at the moment. However, I think you can achieve what you want by customizing the code in one line.

This convention is handled by an IF statement in the PHP code, here:
Right now, it's essentially saying, if this is a Corporate body, use "Administrative history," else default to "Biographical history" for everything else.

I *think* it should work to accomplish what you want if you replace line 24 with the following:
  • <?php if ($item->entityTypeId && ($item->entityTypeId == QubitTerm::CORPORATE_BODY_ID || $item->entityType->getName(array('culture' => 'en')) == 'Conceptual Entity')): ?>
This essentially hard-codes an additional case, tied to "Conceptual Entity" as an English term in the Actor Entity Types taxonomy, and tells it to use "Administrative history."

A couple notes on this:
  • Make sure the term exists in English, in the same form that you enter into this line of code!
  • You'll want to restart PHP-FPM, memcached (if you're using it), and clear the application cache after making this change
  • Since this is a local code customization, you'll need to maintain this and reapply it after future upgrades
  • As always with these types of customizations, we provide this suggestion AS-IS, and strongly recommend you test in a development environment first, and make a backup of your data before proceeding
  • Finally, if you want to see the same behavior on Accession records, then you may need to make a similar change here: https://github.com/artefactual/atom/blob/HEAD/plugins/qtAccessionPlugin/modules/accession/templates/_creatorDetail.php#L15
Let us know how it goes!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

thearch...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2020, 11:09:03 AM7/16/20
to AtoM Users
Thanks so much, Dan! Simple to implement, and worked like a charm!

Cheers,

Jeremy
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com.