How big a server do I need to host AtoM?

naomi...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2017, 7:53:42 AM12/5/17
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I'm looking into getting AtoM and am trying to work out how the hosting aspect works. We have an offsite IT company who manage our server and other IT. Apparently our server is nearly full already and they are looking at providing me with a quote for a separate server that will host AtoM. Is there another way to achieve this?
This would be our first digital collections management system as we currently have a paper catalogue. Our collection is approximately 1000 items and we want to have images of our archive pieces on the software that then public can then access. We have very limited budget and need to minimise ongoing annual costs.

Many thanks
best wishes
Naomi

Dan Gillean

Dec 5, 2017, 10:18:58 AM12/5/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Naomi,

Recommendations for hardware and resource allocation will depend on a lot of factors, so it's hard to say... but I can tell you that when we deploy sites for our hosted clients under our Standard Hosting agreement, we are typically allocating the following:
  • At least 2 CPU cores
  • At least 8GB of RAM
  • Usually 500 GB of disk space
I do recommend at least 2 CPUs if possible. For both memory and disk, you could likely get away with less - you will likely need at least 2GB of RAM during the installation process however, as the installation of Elasticsearch tends to require a fair bit of memory.

Please note that Artefactual does offer international hosted AtoM instances - you can learn more about our hosting options here:
Please feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like to follow up about any of the additional paid services that Artefactual offers.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Naomi Evans

Dec 6, 2017, 11:50:19 AM12/6/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

thanks very much for this.
Thanks for the hosting price link too. Could you confirm for me what digital object storage means? Is this photos of the objects?

Many thanks
Best wishes
Naomi

Dan Gillean

Dec 6, 2017, 12:12:12 PM12/6/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
That's right, Naomi - digital objects are any digital media you may wish to upload: digital photos, videos, or audio clips, PDFs and other text documents, etc.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.